Question Damaged cpu cooler screwhole / screws

charlie-gradus

Mar 23, 2019
I recently shipped my own pc internationally, and it came with the cpu cooler unscrewed, as per this not-too-clear picture.
The motherboard is a Gigabyte X399 Designare.

Upon closer inspection, it seems that the screws... or screw "sockets", I don't know how to call them, through which the cpu cooler gets attached to the cpu itself, came off entirely.
Surprisingly, the cpu plate is not seriously damaged. Those 4 little parts came off, and that's it.

I thought I would find them loose somewhere in the case, but I couldn't.
Finally, I realized they came off with the cooler.

I know I am not expressing myself very clearly, but the 3 pictures I linked are worth a thousand words.
What I wonder is: can this be fixed? Am I supposed to throw the whole motherboard away just because those 4 little things came off?

Any hint on how I could deal with this?
Thanks

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
Those parts are threaded inserts. I did some searching and it looks like they are supposed to be pressed into the CPU backplate, although I couldn't find any photos of the backplate removed, so I'm not sure. Assuming they are part of the backplate though, the easiest fix would be to get a new one - hopefully Gigabyte will oblige. Failing that, you might be able to bodge it by gluing suitably sized nuts to the backplate (you could try gluing the threaded inserts back in place, but I doubt there would be enough surface area for a strong bond).

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
All I can say is NOT GOOD. Not sure how you could repair the socket. They were riveted in.

Its too late now, but I would have recommended that you remove the cooler for shipment. All I can say is good luck, but its not looking promising.

charlie-gradus

Mar 23, 2019
Those parts are threaded inserts. I did some searching and it looks like they are supposed to be pressed into the CPU backplate, although I couldn't find any photos of the backplate removed, so I'm not sure. Assuming they are part of the backplate though, the easiest fix would be to get a new one - hopefully Gigabyte will oblige. Failing that, you might be able to bodge it by gluing suitably sized nuts to the backplate (you could try gluing the threaded inserts back in place, but I doubt there would be enough surface area for a strong bond).

Thanks a lot Mr. Evil, that helps.
I contacted Gigabyte but I wouldn't hold my hopes too high.

Perhaps there will be a way like the one you described - securing the ... threaded inserts... to the backplate.

I'm in Shanghai. Everything is possible here. 🙄