Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I don't give a shit. They signed up for it, no one forced them. And you're conveniently ignoring that this kind of shit doesn't happen ANYWHERE else, cops in other countries don't randomly shoot people, and if they do they get locked up.

This is bullshit. Security forces in many countries kill civilians indiscriminately with no repercussions. Pick almost any country in Africa. In Mexico you can pay the cops to kill someone for you. In Muslim countries you can be executed in the street for just looking at them the wrong way.

America is not the only place where the government terrorizes the citizenry. It's just the only place where you can bitch about it on social media and not be executed yourself, much to the disappointment of Donald Trump.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
This is bullshit. Security forces in many countries kill civilians indiscriminately with no repercussions. Pick almost any country in Africa. In Mexico you can pay the cops to kill someone for you. In Muslim countries you can be executed in the street for just looking at them the wrong way.

America is not the only place where the government terrorizes the citizenry. It's just the only place where you can bitch about it on social media and not be executed yourself, much to the disappointment of Donald Trump.

Right, sorry for not bringing banana republics, 3rd world countries, and theocracies into this discussion. I mean if that's the bar the US is trying to overcome, I don't really know what else there is to say.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Ah...I'm not sure "You're wrong because it happens in violent theocracies and countries without rule of law so America isn't alone" is really a good argument here.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Blue Lives Matter More apparently than the people they are supposed to serve, that's a shameful policy, not holding her to account while off duty like that is bs

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ah...I'm not sure "You're wrong because it happens in violent theocracies and countries without rule of law so America isn't alone" is really a good argument here.

It is when someone tries to make the argument that it does not happen anywhere else.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Blue Lives Matter More apparently than the people they are supposed to serve, that's a shameful policy, not holding her to account while off duty like that is bs

Give the system time to work. If it's announced she won't face charges then be pissed. It's been all of 14 hours so far.

Viper GTS

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
It is when someone tries to make the argument that it does not happen anywhere else.

I wouldn't have used the word "anywhere" however it happens at vastly lower rates in basically all other modern western nations that I can think of.

Happens yes. Happens as frequently as it does here? No way.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
The family should sue the city for everything they're worth and if the victim was really a Christian he's in a better place than this BSC world.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I wouldn't have used the word "anywhere" however it happens at vastly lower rates in basically all other modern western nations that I can think of.

Happens yes. Happens as frequently as it does here? No way.

I don't disagree with that. The US appears to be drastically more violent than other reasonably comparable countries.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001

Sure it is. We act like they do all over the world. America was never great when it comes to oppression.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

Some people might disagree with this, but it is hard for me to do so when this is clearly the direction that our current leadership is taking us.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If police are called to investigate a break-in and find an intruder that is unarmed and not taking any threatening action toward police, they don't have grounds to pull the trigger. Even if you enter the wrong apartment door, it's likely that the fact it's not your apartment is readily observable by the furniture, paint, etc. The story at face value doesn't make logical sense, and thus it is incomplete. There may have been some altercation before shots. Likely the officer was influenced by serious external factors, e.g. fatigue, intoxication, social stressors. We don't know. I wish there were a more immediate and transparent investigation into what went wrong and not entirely to find out what she did wrong.

Reactions: KMFJD

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
If police are called to investigate a break-in and find an intruder that is unarmed and not taking any threatening action toward police, they don't have grounds to pull the trigger. Even if you enter the wrong apartment door, it's likely that the fact it's not your apartment is readily observable by the furniture, paint, etc. The story at face value doesn't make logical sense, and thus it is incomplete. There may have been some altercation before shots. Likely the officer was influenced by serious external factors, e.g. fatigue, intoxication, social stressors. We don't know. I wish there were a more immediate and transparent investigation into what went wrong and not entirely to find out what she did wrong.

I really suspect that these two knew each other and the "I walked into the wrong apartment" story is bullshit. I'm not saying it was necessarily pre-meditated murder, but whatever actually happened she thought that this absurd story was better than the truth.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not enough info to go on as to motive, this seems very suspicious, possible a lovers quarrel.

edit: @Blackjack200 - I didn't see your post when i replied, but I agree...

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I really suspect that these two knew each other and the "I walked into the wrong apartment" story is bullshit. I'm not saying it was necessarily pre-meditated murder, but whatever actually happened she thought that this absurd story was better than the truth.

That sounds like a plausible explanation.