Dallas officer enters apartment she mistakes for her own, fatally shoots man inside

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
If the man mistakenly entered the officers apartment and shot the woman, he would be charged with breaking and entering and capital murder. He would be on death row.

His name would be all over the news and the folks would INSIST that it wasn't a mistake and that he was trying to rob the place or intentionally murdered the woman. Then it would turn into the blue live matter narrative and this that and the other.

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – A local man has died after being shot inside his own apartment by an off-duty Dallas Police Department officer.

Investigators are still trying to piece together what happened but say it appears that after working a full shift, the officer went home to her apartment complex, the Southside Flats in the 1200 block of South Lamar, but went to the wrong unit.

Believing the apartment was her own the officer, who was in full uniform, went inside and when she found someone there pulled her weapon and fired.

The 26-year-old man who lived at the apartment, now identified as Botham Shem Jean, was shot at least once. He was rushed to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The officer involved in the incident was the one who reported the shooting.

Police have not identified the victim or the officer who shot him.

A CBS 11 News crew spoke with Dallas police and they said the officer who fired her weapon had not been interviewed. Officials would not answer questions as to how the mixup happened, or how the officer got inside someone else’s apartment.

The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office will be involved in the investigation.

The officer, who was not injured, will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2018/09/07/off-duty-dallas-officer-kills-man-wrong-apartment/

also at https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...t-she-mistakes-her-own-fatally-shoots-n907411

Reactions: estarkey7
Jan 25, 2011
I gotta find out more. How do you go to the wrong apartment? Was she drunk?
Hey when I lived in an apartment building every hallway, every door, all looked the same. There was more than once where I got off on the wrong floor for whatever reason and made my way down to my door only for my key to not work.

Open the door and seeing someone else inside I can maybe see not realizing the decor was wrong in the initial panic but...

Reactions: VashHT

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Hey when I lived in an apartment building every hallway, every door, all looked the same. There was more than once where I got off on the wrong floor for whatever reason and made my way down to my door only for my key to not work.

Open the door and seeing someone else inside I can maybe see not realizing the decor was wrong in the initial panic but...

only for my key to not work.

my key to not work.

Exactly. This story doesn't make sense.

Jan 25, 2011
Exactly. This story doesn't make sense.
It does if the door was unlocked. Turn the key, turn the knob. I had people open my door doing the exact same thing. It's a reflex. We don't sit there thinking "Gee, did I feel the deadbolt actually release there?" No we turn and open.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
You think being a cop is an easy job?

I don't give a shit. They signed up for it, no one forced them. And you're conveniently ignoring that this kind of shit doesn't happen ANYWHERE else, cops in other countries don't randomly shoot people, and if they do they get locked up.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Not to mention the damn burglar putting up pictures of his family all over the walls and everything.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I don't give a shit. They signed up for it, no one forced them. And you're conveniently ignoring that this kind of shit doesn't happen ANYWHERE else, cops in other countries don't randomly shoot people, and if they do they get locked up.

I'd LOVE to see you patrol a dangerous area for a week and respond to every emergency call.

Reactions: OutHouse

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm no expert in this field. Something in development?

Cops could carry a real sidearm and also a takedown weapon.

I don't think that is a thing. A kinetic weapon would not likely work as it loses energy very quickly when its large. Rubber bullets hurt but from only so far away, and don't always do enough damage to stop someone.

A taser works well but its prone to other issues. There is nothing that I can think of that has the speed and flexibility needed. Hell, even tasers kill people.

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
Again, because you seem to be a little slow: THEY. SIGNED. UP. FOR. IT. If you can't handle the job you're free to quit, hopefully before you gun down an innocent man.

I was trying to suggest a way for cops to stop killing people. How did that get turned into trollish garbage?

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
I was trying to suggest a way for cops to stop killing people. How did that get turned into trollish garbage?

And I suggested a way, which you ignored. Proper training and holding them accountable when they fuck up. When cops start seeing that the bullshit "I feared for my life" defense doesn't work anymore for everything under the sun, I'll bet you see a huge reduction in situations like these.

Reactions: DarthKyrie