Dallas County sheriff's jail guard arrested for being in country illegally

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
This incident reinforces an attitude that the rule of law is a joke to some individuals. When the public demands an explanation, the government starts stonewalling.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Clearly, Maria Ross is exactly the type of illegal immigrant we need to watch out for. I mean, she's been gainfully employed and paying taxes (including SS and Medicare) since 2001.

I feel dirty just reading about her.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Clearly, Maria Ross is exactly the type of illegal immigrant we need to watch out for. I mean, she's been gainfully employed and paying taxes (including SS and Medicare) since 2001.

Yeah, and she's also taken away a potential job with real benefits from a legal citizen for the past 9 years. Fire up the trebuchet.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, and she's also taken away a potential job with real benefits from a legal citizen for the past 9 years. Fire up the trebuchet.

From 2001 through 2008 she was doing us a favor.

Unemployment rates by year:

2001 4.76
2002 5.78
2003 5.99
2004 5.53
2005 5.08
2006 4.63
2007 4.61
2008 5.76

Of course now, with the economy reeling, she's suddenly a scapegoat, er, liability.

GuitarDaddy

Lifer
Nov 9, 2004

And none of the kneejerk "shootem they might be illegals" crowd even bothers to question the details of the story like

1. How did she get a SS # and pay taxes for a decade?
2. How did she get through the police academy and get certified as a jailor?
3. How did she get married to a US citizen(police officer), have 2 kids, and go through complete divorce proceedings without her status being uncovered.

But no lets don't try and discover the facts, she's obviously a beautiful ray of sunshine, deport her

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
It's Hubby's fault :) for not filing the paperwork ....

Step 1

File the I-130 Petition for Alien Relative to get an immigration visa from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The spouse that is a current citizen of the United States must file this and acts as a sponsor.

Step 2

Get Form I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card. Fill it out and submit it to USCIS via mail. Get delivery confirmation from the post office so you know it is delivered.

Step 3

Now, live in the United States for three years. Keep a clean criminal record.

Step 4

Apply for Form N-400 Application for Naturalization from USCIS.

Step 5

Review the examination dates and register for the naturalization exam. Study your American history and the English language.

Step 6

Pass the test and take the oath of allegiance! Congratulations, you are now a naturalized citizen of the United States of America.

--

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
One does not even know if the hubby knew she was an illegal.

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006
From 2001 through 2008 she was doing us a favor.

Unemployment rates by year:

2001 4.76
2002 5.78
2003 5.99
2004 5.53
2005 5.08
2006 4.63
2007 4.61
2008 5.76

Of course now, with the economy reeling, she's suddenly a scapegoat, er, liability.

and you're an idiot.

Babbles

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
I am from the Dallas area (Arlington) albeit I haven't lived in Texas for ~5 years and this is an example of why I think that Dubya's amnesty proposal a few years back was a good idea.

From what I was able to gather from the article she appeared to be a good worker, attempted to increase her education level, and was a productive member of society. Regardless of her immigration status, I would wager that of all the people who initially applied for the job she started with, she was evidently the most qualified (hence her getting the job). I don't care if that means she "took a job" from some other less qualified bonehead who just happened to be a citizen.

I really do think there needs to be some worker amnesty program to enable these types of productive immigrants to become legal citizens.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I am from the Dallas area (Arlington) albeit I haven't lived in Texas for ~5 years and this is an example of why I think that Dubya's amnesty proposal a few years back was a good idea.

From what I was able to gather from the article she appeared to be a good worker, attempted to increase her education level, and was a productive member of society. Regardless of her immigration status, I would wager that of all the people who initially applied for the job she started with, she was evidently the most qualified (hence her getting the job). I don't care if that means she "took a job" from some other less qualified bonehead who just happened to be a citizen.

I really do think there needs to be some worker amnesty program to enable these types of productive immigrants to become legal citizens.

As a first generation of LEGAL immigrant, I have big issues with amnesty for ILLEGALS.

Amnesty program for ILLEGALS (even for "hard working") is good? Let see, we tried a big one in 1986 (thanks Reagan) and a few smaller ones after that. How things turn out for us? ILLEGAL immigration problems are getting worse since 1986. No question about that.

Hard worker, educate, productive member..blah blah blah. And us LEGAL immigrants are not? We work as hard if not harder, we are much more well educate and good productive members of society and yet we/our families and millions of highly educated LEGAL immigrants will have to wait for YEARS <note the plural> behind these ILLEGALS? Do you see the logic or lack of it?

We tried the amnesty program already. It did not work. Time for LEGAL = yes, ILLEGAL = NO!!! and HELL NO @ amnesty!!! NO MORE REWARDS for being ILLEGALS.

Let me put this way. Let say you are working hard to get in MIT. You are doing everything possible to get in the right/legal way. Yet a bunch of others would sneak in MIT and demand MIT administration to grant them admission before you and millions of others that are waiting for years to get in the LEGAL way. How would you like that?

Last edited:

Narmer

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2006

I bet her cop (ex) husband had nothing to do with her getting it, right? You don't think politics also played a part?

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

She's not a scapegoat for anything. If someone is here illegally they should be deported accordingly, good economy or bad.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

There is. It's called going through the established system for becoming a citizen. If you want to change that to make it easier and more streamlined for hard working people that benefit the US, then I'm on board with that.

That still doesn't give her a free pass to break our laws.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/071510dnmetdaldeputy.1a294ac.html

Update to the story....

....A criminal background check conducted last month as part of the application process turned up her November 1998 arrest in Laredo and deportation by U.S. immigration officials. When questioned about it, Ross lied to a personnel sergeant, according to records released Wednesday by the department....

...Ross, of Irving, told sheriff's investigators she lied because she wanted to fulfill her dream of becoming a deputy and making her family proud.
Ross was detained in 1998 for an attempted illegal entry after showing a false birth certificate that said she was a U.S. citizen, sheriff's reports said. Federal law bars anyone who makes a false claim of U.S. citizenship from ever being able to legally enter the United States.....