daily steals $10 shipped netgear wgr614 802.11g router

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
Nice, thank you, in for 4 (using them with ddwrt as access points)

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
You are right, and I bet this is version 9, based on the low price. Even if it is I'm ok with it, at least I'll have spare routers for clients when they die and I do need an extra switch, hopefully I can use them as that with the NG firmware.

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
You are right, and I bet this is version 9, based on the low price. Even if it is I'm ok with it, at least I'll have spare routers for clients when they die and I do need an extra switch, hopefully I can use them as that with the NG firmware.

Haha I'm usually not one to nitpick on internet grammar but that technically means you'll have spare routers for when your clients die... :)

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
Netgear WGR614

seems like a good deal its on the main page today www.dailysteals.com $5 + $5 shipping for a 802.11g router.

I've been reading the reviews from customers about that website on Reseller Ratings. The reviews are not good. Sounds like a very sketchy operation to me. I'd be careful dealing with this Daily Steals website.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I've been reading the reviews from customers about that website on Reseller Ratings. The reviews are not good. Sounds like a very sketchy operation to me. I'd be careful dealing with this Daily Steals website.

I've never had an issue with the site, I've bought their daily deals a few times (I found out about them here). They are usually slow delivery in my experience, but I always get the item. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

BadThad

Lifer
Feb 22, 2000
DEAD

A better recent deal was $20 for a netgear N router, I resold all of them that I bought. If you're a computer person, these come in handy to have in inventory.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
I've never had an issue with the site, I've bought their daily deals a few times (I found out about them here). They are usually slow delivery in my experience, but I always get the item. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.

The customer reviews state that they advertise a brand name item and then substitute a generic product without consulting the buyer. I could not personally do business with someone like that. I'm glad however you've had no problem. :)

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
fwiw i've had 3 of these and had nothing but trouble with all of them, wireless always dying, requiring a power cycle to fix.

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
fwiw i've had 3 of these and had nothing but trouble with all of them, wireless always dying, requiring a power cycle to fix.

I had one of these as well. It was my first wireless router and pretty much turned me off to wireless networking at the time. My experience was the same as yours nothing but trouble and very poor range always losing connection. I finally had enough and pitched it.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I just got mine in the mail today, luckily all 4 of them are version 10, which supposedly can be cross flashed to the wnr1000v3 since it is identical hardware. So all in all, $10 for an N router works for me, hopefully it's more stable than the previous versions.

[update] The crossflashing method on this post worked for me if anyone is interested:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65317&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=33

I didn't use the firmware that this person provided though, I went out and downloaded the latest for the wnr1000v3 from netgear's page. It worked without any issues though.
Before:
UgmMn.jpg

After:
dyO2j.jpg

DD-WRT is still a WIP for the WNR1000v3, but some people have reported getting tomato running on it.

Last edited:

Towermax

Mar 19, 2006
Crossflashing worked for me also.

The WGR614v10 started life as a G router, but the latest firmware enables the N capability that's already in the board. So, if you just want an N router, there's no need to crossflash.

For me, there are two advantages to crossflashing to WNR1000v3:
- IPv6 capability
- Continued firmware upgrades. The WGR14v10 is EOL--there will be no more firmware updates.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hey, that's pretty sweet that you guys were able to cross-flash and upgrade to N.

Here's hoping that there is a stable DD-WRT N firmware released for those.

I'm pretty happy with my WNR2000v2 units I got from Newegg for $20 ea months ago, all flashed to DD-WRT.

Towermax

Mar 19, 2006
i got a upgrade fail after changing the burnboardid in telnet.

Same thing happened to me, but I figured out how to fix it:

Open the bios file (*.chk) with notepad and look at the ID at the beginning of the file. It's different than the one in the instructions. Burn that ID and the upgrade will work.