Daily Show 9/29: Stephen Colbert Sharpton Interview

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Can't wait for them to post this one. Sharpton was a pretty good sport.

Stephen: Let's switch roles- I'll be you and you be me, convince me/you to vote for you/me.

Lol.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: outriding
it almost looked like at first sharpton did not know it was a joke.

That's the way most of their interviews go. :) That's what makes their interviews so priceless, the look on the interviewees(sp) faces as th interview goes on.

Up here in Canada we have a similarish show called "This Hour has 22 Minutes". Most Canadian politicians are aware of the show and the "Reporters", so they play along, but on occassion the show catches people unaware(George Bush being 1) and the hilarity ensues.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
They usually post stuff like this. This one was especially good.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I get the impression with a lot of Daily Show interviews that they're using some very creative editing techniques to create the funny parts. I just can't imagine the reporters having the cajones to say some of the things they say to those people and keep talking to them...

Anyone think this?

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: konichiwa
I get the impression with a lot of Daily Show interviews that they're using some very creative editing techniques to create the funny parts. I just can't imagine the reporters having the cajones to say some of the things they say to those people and keep talking to them...

Anyone think this?

I think you are right, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

friedpie

Oct 1, 2002
colbert is a genius. he was outstanding as "noblett" on strangers with candy.

i liked the ds bit he did with the guy who thought the minute maid orange juice commercials with popeye and brutus were subliminal homosexual messages. lol

PatboyX

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: friedpie
colbert is a genius. he was outstanding as "noblett" on strangers with candy.

i liked the ds bit he did with the guy who thought the minute maid orange juice commercials with popeye and brutus were subliminal homosexual messages. lol

didnt he used to be on exit 57, too?

as for editing, yes, i think they edit the response footage more than anything else, so that you get a flat, empty stare for the response to a lot of the absurd questions. i think, depending on the interview, it is possible that the questions and answers are only slightly related...i think that was an older technique though. now they seem to try and do "legitimate" interviews (in that they dont edit too much)

my favorite thing about the daily show is that they basically report like any other news show, except we know we are supposed to laugh at their sensationalist propaganda style.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Yeah, but they definately ask some of those questions. What I don't understand is how the interviewees keep a straight face-

When Colbert asked Sharpton if he's trying to "stick it to The Man", you can see that look of incredulity on Sharpton's face- then asks Stephen to clarify the question, then finally answers "I don't know who "The Man" is. Lol.

Classic.

Here's one of the better Colbert reports on their Emmy win-
Sweet Monkey Butter