[daily mail] SWTOR accused of promoting "slaves"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
You're just being dense or pedantic.

In practically every modern shooter, you have the option to brutally execute anyone, at any time, whether they're enemies or threats or not.

You're arguing that the vague definition of "torture" applied in a game is somehow worse than being able to walk up to someone who poses no threat and blow their head-off point-blank with a sawed off shotgun?

No, he's being a hypocrite. He's already said the shooting violence is okay because it's become the norm. WTF is that supposed to mean?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Tell little Johnny he can shoot as many people in the head as he wants, but shock collars are Teh Bad.

Perhaps the ESRB needs to rate TOR as Teen (Light Side Republic), M (Dark Side & Empire) . . . for the chillldren!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
ESRB is a joke anyway. Does the average parent actually pay attention to it?
Do they really know what the ratings mean? Cuz with the MPAA movie ratings theres a lot of discrepancy and still parents choose to use it as a tool for movie sampling, cuz they dont know how messed up the system is.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i still think killing chickens is far worse...

even in zelda you could attack chickens only to get owned by a swarm of them later on when you really pissed them off.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
i still think killing chickens is far worse...

even in zelda you could attack chickens only to get owned by a swarm of them later on when you really pissed them off.

You could attack them but not kill. Also there were chicken zombies in the dark world.
Actually that game needs to be re-rated and given the Adults Only tag.

Sentrosi2121

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2004
My 7yr old daughter sits next to me watching me play the game.
Am I raising a homicidal black widow?

Feb 6, 2007
okay umm no thats incorrect.. very few examples can be brought up of instances where YOU THE PLAYER get to torture someone.. the only good one i can really think up is like SAW games w9hich are trash) and splinter cell: DA which was again trash.
Don't forget Manhunt. That game took the "I will torture you to death" angle to an absurd level.

So, let's say for a minute that video games really do influence children's actions. Which would you rather have a child do: put a shock collar on a classmate or walk into his school shooting everything in sight with a gun? Oh, and Star Wars also happens to feature people getting shocked with lightning, blasted at with lasers that look an awful lot like modern firearms and cloven in twain with a lightsaber. All of that seems slightly worse to me than the implication of slavery. When did slavery and torture become a worse crime than mass murder?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I wonder if Farmville promotes only ecologically sound crop-raising methods?

And Pokemon is all about enslaving creatures and training them to become attack animals. Did Michael Vick play too much Pokemon as a child?

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
10 minutes until I can clock out and go home and rape and abuse my sex slave :awe:

#likeaboss

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
They need to play Rapelay.

Seeing how thats an illusion game.. and illusion doesnt allow ip's from US to even enter their site, id say its not legal in the US. :D

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
So, let's say for a minute that video games really do influence children's actions. Which would you rather have a child do: put a shock collar on a classmate or walk into his school shooting everything in sight with a gun? Oh, and Star Wars also happens to feature people getting shocked with lightning, blasted at with lasers that look an awful lot like modern firearms and cloven in twain with a lightsaber. All of that seems slightly worse to me than the implication of slavery. When did slavery and torture become a worse crime than mass murder?

But at least there is not any nudity. Put a pair of nipples in the game and the US senate will cancel budget debates to hold hearings to see if we should charge the makers of the game with treason.

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
okay umm no thats incorrect.. very few examples can be brought up of instances where YOU THE PLAYER get to torture someone.. the only good one i can really think up is like SAW games w9hich are trash) and splinter cell: DA which was again trash.

There are plenty of examples in games where you torture people.

Take WoW for instance. There is an instance right after you get to NR where either as Horde or the supposedly "goody" alliance, you get to torture someone for information. But supposedly it's okay, because he's "evil."

Plus, if you actually read the quest text, there are a few cases where the quest givers or the marks actually take you to task for killing others just because someone else told you to. No one ever confused WoW with a true RPG though, as there are no moral decsions, among other reasons.

Now I just gave you an example of one of the most popular games of all time, one in which millions of tweens and teens are playing. Why isn't everyone up in arms over WoW?

Iron Wolf

Jul 27, 2010
But at least there is not any nudity. Put a pair of nipples in the game and the US senate will cancel budget debates to hold hearings to see if we should charge the makers of the game with treason.

LOL

Yeah, I want some TITTIES!!!

BallaTheFeared

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 2010
Rated MA for Slavery

Just in case you weren't sure if what (just about) everyone practiced for thousands of years was wrong.

I wonder if historic works like the Pyramids will be labeled as such?

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Seeing how thats an illusion game.. and illusion doesnt allow ip's from US to even enter their site, id say its not legal in the US. :D

You use to be able to get the game from Amazon, before they caved in to political correctness.