[daily mail] SWTOR accused of promoting "slaves"

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
SWTOR has come udner fire on the daily mail for supporting slavery. they source the sith lords ability to keep a slave and use a shock collar on her.. this seems very suggesting of "other" slavery as well. keep in mind this sint the first time a game has received bad PR from bioware (source the ME 1&2 and DA 1&2 PR). but i feel that this does cross a line.. torture is just wrong and putting it in a videogame isn't an excuse to make it "okay". this is made further problematic due to other claims they make regarding players boasting about her mistreatment and other things..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2082153/Hit-Star-Wars-game-lets-players-torment-female-sex-slave-electric-shock-collar.html

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
hahahahaha

That is hilarious

Here, these are the bad guys, they use slaves.

OMFG THEY SUPPORT SLAVERYYYYYY

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
But pointing and firing a deadly weapon at anything that moves is still acceptable and inoffensive to all involved? Just checking.

Yukmouth

Aug 1, 2008
LOL " Human rights for Video characters...... coming to a country near you..... "

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
But pointing and firing a deadly weapon at anything that moves is still acceptable and inoffensive to all involved? Just checking.

its been thatb way since 1992.. i think its become the norm now
but if this holds any water expect the ESRB to re-review

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
its been that way since 1992.. i think its become the norm now

True -- but "Custer's Revenge" came out in 1982.

I understand what you're getting at, though, and to be honest that is pretty creepy.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
I am the exact class that gets the slave they are talking about. I absolutely love shocking her. If they want to imply rape too then alrighty :p. I obviously don't condone rape, but this is just a game.

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
I am the exact class that gets the slave they are talking about. I absolutely love shocking her. If they want to imply rape too then alrighty :p. I obviously don't condone rape, but this is just a game.
so abusing someone physically in real life is a crime.. but teaching 13yr olds its okay in a game is all good?

IonusX

Dec 25, 2011
See: every movie/game ever made.

okay umm no thats incorrect.. very few examples can be brought up of instances where YOU THE PLAYER get to torture someone.. the only good one i can really think up is like SAW games w9hich are trash) and splinter cell: DA which was again trash.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
okay umm no thats incorrect.. very few examples can be brought up of instances where YOU THE PLAYER get to torture someone.. the only good one i can really think up is like SAW games w9hich are trash) and splinter cell: DA which was again trash.

See: other crimes/behaviors that 13yo kids should not do that are represented by every movie/game ever made

I mean FFS look at mortal kombat, a game I was most def playing at 13

Or, also in TOR, how on the first day of gaming I killed a guy, cut off his head, then gave it to his wife.

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I get called a Slave (Twi'Lek) every time I talk to any douchebag Sith Lord in-game...:'(

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I thought it was kind of odd how the sith obtained their companion and the special unique social skill he can apply to her [/slap her upside the head].

Doesn't bug me - but I could see it offending some people. However, they aren't forced to shock or slap her and have the option to actually be nice to her [does this lead to horizontal dancing?] :)

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
I thought it was kind of odd how the sith obtained their companion and the special unique social skill he can apply to her [/slap her upside the head].

Doesn't bug me - but I could see it offending some people. However, they aren't forced to shock or slap her and have the option to actually be nice to her [does this lead to horizontal dancing?] :)

Horizontal AND vertical :awe:

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wah. It's part of the universe. Guess what? We had slaves too, and if there was a game that represented life during that time period, some would probably have slaves.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
At least they might get something out of that "relationship" unlike what the jedi scum do:

cad-20120104-ed2b8.png

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
At least they might get something out of that "relationship" unlike what the jedi scum do:

cad-20120104-ed2b8.png

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Its the first CAD I actually laughed at ever.

I am a terrible person with bad taste

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
oh gowd is someone actually taking the activists sides?

ITS A GAME...

And if u think slaves is bad... i think shooting anything and everything that moves is worse... "dont kill the chickens!!!!"

So what? Now all the game makers need to change the weapons to nerf gear so no artificial pixels were hurt in the making can apply?

What next Skyrim gonna be under fire? for having to kill your spouse to get another one?

Lemme guess what about saints row? That should take cake for whatever STO can do.
You know how many times the word HOE is used in the game? The hoe boat mission should take cake.

Seriously... are they tripping out because of the T raiting? and not because its M?

hey they tried to put the UN's rules of war onto fps's dont make it sound silly

ARE U BEING SERIOUS??

tell me exactly HOW BF3 or BC2 follows any UN rules of engagement?
CoD Follow rules of engagement?

Wait.. base camping is UN rules of engagement?
You ever see us camping in front of an enemy base shooting everyone and not taking any prisoners following rules of engagement?

should i pull a classic like Counter Stirke and the hostage map? Ever shoot the hostages to make the map not end? You call that rules of engagement?

Once again... dude... its a GAME... if u cant accept that fact, then you have dementia, and u shouldn't be gaming period, minus iOS games.

Last edited:

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

You're just being dense or pedantic.

In practically every modern shooter, you have the option to brutally execute anyone, at any time, whether they're enemies or threats or not.

You're arguing that the vague definition of "torture" applied in a game is somehow worse than being able to walk up to someone who poses no threat and blow their head-off point-blank with a sawed off shotgun?

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
Not sure why respondents are attributing the OP's views to ignorance when they should be considering malice instead. It's a lot easier for activists to target niche causes then to deal with mainstream issues, which is why lobbying groups for tiny interests can be so successful.

Imagine a bill that would give IonusX $200k every year for no reason. The actual cost to us would be tiny fractions of a penny, and even though we would all be technically opposed very few of us would devote any resources to fighting it. This would be especially true if it was not highly publicized. IonusX on the other hand would have a very, very strong incentive to have the bill pass and could afford to donate plenty of money to political campaigns in order to gather the necessary votes for it.

Similarly, I do not think that the public at large cares very much about their freedom to have Sith warriors use shock collars on Twi'leks in one particular video game. As a small issue this is a much more appealing target for "reform" than a behemoth like the entire FPS industry. Just imagine the reaction in this thread if IonusX had instead titled it "Firing a weapon at somebody in a video game is immoral and crosses the line."

Last edited:

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
I love the reasoning they follow where anything bad/immoral that has happened through history should never be mentioned. Because people would be temped to do it again? I'm not quite sure what they're thinking.

Slavery exists today, and has been part of countless cultures, including the star wars ones. I don't think "reflecting reality" (such as it is) should be considered immoral, or condoning the acts in anyway. It's just the way it is.

However, I'm not very deep into star wars lore, but I was not aware of the sith having sex slaves? Are they always female? I don't see a reason why the sith wouldn't also have male slaves.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
Much ado about nothing. And it is the Daily Mail.....

Sith Empire is supposed to be evil. Do they show that by having them talk crossly to their underlings?