Question Daily Driver desktop advice needed

Jstanthr

Feb 22, 2010
Rebuilding my daily driver desktop, it has pretty much been untouched for quite a while, its an i5 2500k to show its age.
I will be reusing my case, power supply, fans, and hopefully the hsf if i can find a mount kit for it. My budget is kinda low, so i'm doing it a piece at a time and plan on getting new monitors soon as well (2k or 4k 24-28)
Case- Enermax Fulmo
PSU- Enermax Galaxy evo 1250w (overkill i know, i will swap it for a 550-650 later on)
Case fans - standard Scythe Kaze fans (they are old, will look at switching to all pwm fans later on)
HSF- Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, I love this hsf, ive used it for over a decade. have all the intel mounts, and having a hard time finding an am4 one. id like to find the am4 pressure vault one like the one i have but noone has it.
What ive bought so far
Motherboard- Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite (i didn't want one with wifi integrated) Amazon wharehouse buy $87
CPU- AMD Ryzen 5 2600x Open box from MicroCenter $109
RAM- GSkill Ripjaws 3200 32gb (2 of the 2x8 kits). $56ea kit $112
GPU- XFX RX580 8gb (amazon flash sale) $129
ODD- Reusing my Asus BD/DVD burner
HDD- Temporarily reusing a ocz vertex 250gb
NVME- Im looking at either the SN750 black or the crucial p1 only looking for 500gb unless the 1tb is more cost effective What are your guys reccomendations on this??
Storage drive what would you guys use? i do have a file server that i use for most of my bulk storage so this isn't a "have to have" but i would like to
was thinking either a 4-6tb mechanical, 1-2tb sata ssd (if i go with a 1tb on the nvme this won't be neccessary i don't think)
OR i could use the other m2 slot and use a pcie x2 drive in it,
that is one of the reasons i went with the aorus elite, a lot of the other boards i researched start cutting pcie slots when you populate the m2 slots
the aorus cuts sata ports. so using the main pcie x4 cuts 2 of the sata ports leaving you with 4
and if you populate the second m2 pcie x2, it cuts 2 more, leaving you with 2

So, is there anything that you would change?
What are your thoughts on which NVME drive to get?
Storage drive thoughts?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I just did the same basic upgrade... from a 2500K, from my daily desktop. I do recommend the WD Black NVMe drive... but plan ahead for your storage. I bought the 500GB version, but I'm regretting not spending the money on the 1TB, even though I was not planning on buying the 500GB in the first place. It's a really good drive and it's likely I won't upgrade it anytime soon.

I bought first the ASRock B450m Pro4... it was actually a really nice board. I swapped it for the Gigabyte when I had OS problems, but the -DS3H is a good board too. If you buy both at MicroCenter, you can probably save even more money with their combo discount. The ASRock board has 2 M.2 slots... and I was pretty excited about it, the idea being an M.2 as the OS drive, and another M.2 as a scratch drive. My particular GB board doesn't have this, so I'm back to a SATA scratch SSD. For the record, you wouldn't need another WD Black as a scratch drive, a lesser drive on sale would work in that role.

If you are going to stick with the 2nd gen Ryzen, I would probably spring for the 2700x, and if you plan on keeping this for a while, see if you can afford a 3-series Ryzen... I wish I would have, but I was being cheap.