Dad sues to teach daughter about polygamy

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
From CNN.com.

snippet:
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints renounced polygamy in 1890 as part of a deal to grant Utah statehood, and the church now excommunicates those who practice or advocate it. But some fundamentalist Mormons continue to believe in polygamy, and an estimated 30,000 in the West practice it.
30,000? That's like 6 families, right?
:p

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
As a liberal myself, I consider the ban against polygamy to be an outrage! Another "victimless" crime crafted from the hands of the sexually repressed!

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
Andy,

The argument against the father teaching his daughter about polygamy is that it's morally wrong. The ACLU (I would expect) would argue that it's a first amendment issue.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints renounced polygamy in 1890 as part of a deal to grant Utah statehood

Note the potential violation of the constitution Freedeom of Religion. In order to gain access to the union, they (Utah) could not practice their religion.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
I seriously consider CoLDS (AKA Mormons) to be a cult. They should be treated accordingly. I wonder though, what's the argument against polygamy precisely? Why should it be illegal? Are we simply legislating our morality (yes Miguel, I'm looking @ you ;))?

Fencer128

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: miguel
Andy,

The argument against the father teaching his daughter about polygamy is that it's morally wrong. The ACLU (I would expect) would argue that it's a first amendment issue.

I'm not exactly enamoured with polygamy either - but I'm with the first ammendment on this one. There's a difference between talking about it and practicing it. I don't think the state has any business in this particular issue.

They cite:

Roberts' lawyer, Richard K. Konkel, said learning about polygamy from her father could put Kaylynne at risk of "child abuse and sexual abuse and whatever else."

Does polygamy in Utah = paedophilia or incest? If so then I see the concern, if not I don't buy that arguement.

Do you think that she'll grow up to be a "wife number 4"?

If it's illegal to practice it then arrest him if he's doing so. If it is illegal for him to talk about it - arrest him for that also. If it's illegal for him to think about it.... etc.

Cheers,

Andy

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Note the potential violation of the constitution Freedeom of Religion. In order to gain access to the union, they (Utah) could not practice their religion.

By that rational, Rastafarians are suffering religious persecution at the hands of the government for the illegal status of marijuana (a sacrament to rastas).

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
For you people who do not know or understand the teachings of the Prophets of the Lord and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, your speculation is laughable, and sad. Try learning something about the Church before you spout nonsense. Need help?
Go here.

I live and deal with this issue every day. The people who practice polygamy ARE NOT MORMONS! They never where. The never will be. Not if the violate the laws against polygamy.

But if I want to teach my children about polygamy, no damn law or lawyer is going stop me, nor do they have any right to under color of law.

The largest community of polygimists here are in Colrado city, Arizona, with a sister city at the state line of utah, Hildale, Utah, that facilitates escape from justice if law enforcement from one state or the other comes after them for the many laws they violate. They can cross over into Utah or vice/versa Utah to Arizona. I despise the practice and the people who propagate it. But the innocent victims are the children brainwashed and threatened by this band of outlaws that have little hope unless laws, existing laws are inforced. Hell, cops themselves there are polygymists. The last one is now serving time for it in jail.
rolleye.gif

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
For you people who do not know or understand the teachings of the Prophets of the Lord and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, your speculation is laughable, and sad. Try learning something about the Church before you spout nonsense. Need help?
Go here.

I live and deal with this issue every day. The people who practice polygamy ARE NOT MORMONS! They never where. The never will be. Not if the violate the laws against polygamy.

But if I want to teach my children about polygamy, no damn law or lawyer is going stop me, nor do they have any right to under color of law.

The largest community of polygimists here are in Colrado city, Arizona, with a sister city at the state line of utah, Hildale, Utah, that facilitates escape from justice if law enforcement from one state or the other comes after them for the many laws they violate. They can cross over into Utah or vice/versa Utah to Arizona. I despise the practice and the people who propagate it. But the innocent victims are the children brainwashed and threatened by this band of outlaws that have little hope unless laws, existing laws are inforced. Hell, cops themselves there are polygymists. The last one is now serving time for it in jail.
rolleye.gif
Is it true that the Huffy Bicycle Company is owned by Mormons?

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot
Go here.

rolleye.gif

Are you a mormon?