Dad disowns his gay son in handwritten letter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
The dad who wrote that letter is anything but courageous. He's a coward.
No he is not a coward he stood up against what he believes is wrong. He made a very tough decision. By definition he is a very brave and principled man. In your opinion he made a wrong choice but it was his choice to make

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
No he is not a coward he stood up against what he believes is wrong. He made a very tough decision. By definition he is a very brave and principled man. In your opinion he made a wrong choice but it was his choice to make

Hitler stood up for what he believed in, doesn't make him any less of a bastard.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
But what exactly do you find courageous in this letter?

that he stood for what he believed to be right, instead of letting society dictate his beliefs. He can still love and be there for his son in a time of need without accepting a gay lifestyle. My brother was once an illegal drug-dealer but I never turned my back on him or stopped loving him despite his lifestyle. Same thing here.

Many people do that, he chose what he believes to be right.

disowning him is a bit harsh, but he still doesn't accept a gay lifestyle, obviously.

Last edited:

HydroSqueegee

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2005
Man. I couldnt imagine disowning any of my kids. As long as they are functional, productive adults, i have done my job as a dad. If they are fuckups, well i may have failed, or they just chose the wrong path in life, but i dont think id ever cut them out of my life for any reason.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

He disowned his son by letter based on some (or his own) interpretation of a text written thousands of years ago after being mutilated in oral history who knows how long and various translations that nobody can entirely agree on which even still clearly promotes forgiveness, humility, and love above all other attributes.

I find no courage, simply skewed religious conviction.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
He disowned his son by letter based on some (or his own) interpretation of a text written thousands of years ago after being mutilated in oral history who knows how long and various translations that nobody can entirely agree on which even still clearly promotes forgiveness, humility, and love above all other attributes.

Well said.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
That's terrible, how sad.

I hope someone posts the sons hand written response, something to the tune of "Dad, calm the hell down, I'm not gay. That's a pic of Mitt Romney on my FB page, not my gay lover."

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
that he stood for what he believed to be right, instead of letting society dictate his beliefs. He can still love and be there for his son in a time of need without accepting a gay lifestyle.

What is there in that letter to suggest that the father will "be there for his son in a time of need"? Sounds like a complete cutting-off to me.

My brother was once an illegal drug-dealer but I never turned my back on him or stopped loving him despite his lifestyle. Same thing here.

The father is turning his back here. That's what's tragic.

I guess I can respect his honesty, but courage? I don't really see it. I think a letter saying something along these lines would be far more courageous: "I disapprove of homosexuality so much that my inclination is to cut you out of my life entirely -- but because I love you, I'm willing to try to see if I can find a way to work past my feelings on this".

Last edited:

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

So, you can't love, forgive, and treat gay people with humility while not agreeing with what they do?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
It takes a lot of courage to take that firm of a stand against homosexuality nowadays. Though I wouldn't disown my son if he were gay, I'd distance myself from his lifestyle, but still love him and be there if he needed me.

LOl thats not courage.

I also don't think God would be happy with discarding family either. People take damn book that written over 2k years ago as 100% fact (evne though it conflicts itself).

I believe in God and Jesus. I do not think any God would want you to disown your own son because of his sexual choice. IF anyone has a problem with that well fuck you. My son > Your opinion.

This guy is a fucking nutcase.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So, you can't love, forgive, and treat gay people with humility while not agreeing with what they do?

Of course you can. Impersonally disowning your own son doesn't fit under that description though and people who say it would are are as morally bankrupt as whatever backward religion flavor they are latched on to.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That's pretty harsh. I'd be unhappy if my son were gay, but I don't think I'd disown him.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
As insensitive as I appear to be...I hope the Dad lives to regret his decision.

Yes, because some people never live and learn to regret bad decisions. Obviously this is a very sad letter. Nevertheless, I won't pile on in judgment; I will leave all life’s injustices, pain and suffering to a higher power.... as I too am imperfect.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
My brother was once an illegal drug-dealer but I never turned my back on him or stopped loving him despite his lifestyle. Same thing here.

Being a felon who peddles drugs is in no way comparable to being gay. Why would you make such an idiotic comparison?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Being a felon who peddles drugs is in no way comparable to being gay. Why would you make such an idiotic comparison?
Jesus teaches us that drug dealers and gays will burn in hell for all eternity and so will anyone that talks to them. So yeah, they are exactly the same according to our lord and savior.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

right. the Drug dealer just has to say he believes in God and he gets to go to heaven (no matter how many people he has hurt with his drugs) and is good in the eyes of the church. the gay man? yeah he is condamed to hell no matter what because he was in a loving relationship with another male.

r3dsh1ft

Jul 31, 2012
The Dad messed up here, not because of being against the lifestyle, but because he severed his ties with his son. Just because he didn't approve didn't mean he had to abandon his son. He could of said something like "I don't agree with your lifestyle but i wont to let you know that I will always love you. Please do not bring your lifestyle around me and the rest of the family." If he felt adamantly opposed to his sons decisions that's what he should of said in my opinion if he were a good father. ^ I think this would of been the Christian thing to do and the secular thing to do . Lets say that the father has other children in his house still. I could see him not wanting his son to have a negative influence on them but still no need to completely cut his ties.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012

I am not comparing a drug dealer with a gay person.

The point is simple: an unacceptable lifestyle is an unacceptable lifestyle. In my example, it doesn't matter if the person is gay, sells drugs, steals.. etc.. its a style of life that one may not accept.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
What a shitty father. I hope that he really needs his son one day and his son won't be there for him.

This is why I'm not religious...people justify bullshit like that with the Bible. Fuck em all.

Nov 30, 2006
Yes, because some people never live and learn to regret bad decisions. Obviously this is a very sad letter. Nevertheless, I won't pile on in judgment; I will leave all life’s injustices, pain and suffering to a higher power.... as I too am imperfect.
I hear you. I've got a million regrets. So many that it's damn tough to throw self-righteous stones without breaking a few windows in my own house.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Jesus teaches us that drug dealers and gays will burn in hell for all eternity and so will anyone that talks to them. So yeah, they are exactly the same according to our lord and savior.

So Jesus said that those who talk to "sinners" will burn in hell. Could you find a new testiment reference where he says precisely that?

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Why is this father wrong in what he did? It was his, the father's, choice and I am assuming it was not easy for him.

exactly.

I JUDGE THE FATHER FOR MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE, WHILE SUPPORTING THE SON WHO IS MAKING A FREE CHOICE THAT IS HIS AND HIS ALONE.

Seriously, if you live in a country that allows you free choice in life style, you have to let others have their own choice how they react to that life style. I'm sad for the son and the father, but neither of them are doing anything wrong.