Dad disowns his gay son in handwritten letter

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Wow. That's a whole lot of ignorance in one little post.

So given the nature of the treatment people who are gay receive simply for the fact of being gay, you really don't understand why some might feel compelled to hide who they are?

How long and hard did you have to think about fucking guys before you decided you were straight?

Still, I am establishing the fact that it's a choice to be or not.

You can't be gay and have sex with straight people. In fact, if it isn't a choice, then having straight sex isn't a choice either.

A straight person cant be straight if hes having sex with persons of the same sex, born that way or not.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Why is it so hard to understand people can choose their sex partners? If people are so "born gay", why have some been in relationships with a had sex with straight people?

Because, shock horror, most people are brought up in a predominately heterosexual environment. A lot of people assume that they're straight because their parents and everyone they know are straight (or at least seem to be). Go back some generations and the idea that the person in question was homosexual would have been coupled with a lot of anxiety because there was a good (and/or an exaggeration of the perception) chance that they would be cast out from that environment. Many societies are steadily becoming less hostile to the idea that some people are homosexual, but I respect the risk that someone takes to "come out" because it involves publicly admitting what makes them tick sexually for the advantage of not having to hide certain aspects of their life or not possibly having to pretend to be something they're not.

I'm wondering if I need to explain that genitalia belonging to homosexuals aren't shaped differently to those of heterosexuals, so it's not a case of "square blocks round holes", it's a case of figuring out what makes you tick in a sexual sense.

It gets more complicated when one considers bisexuality or the myriad of possible facets to one's sexuality. And you're expecting people to have this all figured out from day one, or just the moment they hit puberty?

"Hey mum! I've received a letter from the sexual orientation fairy!"
Caveman dad comes in with a deep booming voice, "What does it say, my son, whom I hope to be everything I am and more?"

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Still, I am establishing the fact that it's a choice to be or not.

You can't be gay and have sex with straight people. In fact, if it isn't a choice, then having straight sex isn't a choice either.

A straight person cant be straight if hes having sex with persons of the same sex, born that way or not.

100% Wrong.. on all levels.

Just how fucking ignorant are you?

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009
100% Wrong.. on all levels.

Just how fucking ignorant are you?

Very. Tell that to all the baby boomer gay men who got married and had kids because that's what they were "supposed" to do. He has to be trolling, no one smart enough to be posting here can be that dumb. I hope.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Very. Tell that to all the baby boomer gay men who got married and had kids because that's what they were "supposed" to do. He has to be trolling, no one smart enough to be posting here can be that dumb. I hope.
It's willful ignorance. Jesus told him something and Jesus can't be wrong so any evidence pointing to the contrary must therefore be false. No vetting needed. It can be dismissed.

epidemis

Jun 6, 2007
If there is indeed a Christian god there there's got to be a lot of disappointed "Christians" at ye old pearly gates who find out their travel plans have been booked differently then they thought.

Actually, that is wrong.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
So, you can't choose who you decide to have intercourse with? That's all, basically, what I am asking... sir.

You weren't asking anything when you made these incredibly idiotic remarks:

Rob M. said:
You can't be gay and have sex with straight people.

And:

Rob M. said:

Where do I begin.. well, for starters, being gay means you're attracted to the same sex. It is not entirely or exclusively defined by who you actually have sex with.

Would you say men in prison who have sex with each other are gay? No, they're just faced with a permanent or nearly permanent loss of opportunity to fuck women; the male need to ejaculate in an orifice takes over and makes the guy not care what orifice it is or the gender of the recipient.

Secondly, human sexuality is a spectrum of conditions. Some people have absolutely no attraction to the same sex, some have absolutely no attraction to the opposite sex, and everyone else is somewhere in between those two extremes.

Finally, attraction is one deciding factor in who we have sex with, but it is not the only one. See the prison example I mentioned.

Last edited:

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Where do I begin.. well, for starters, being gay means you're attracted to the same sex.

Well, being attracted to someone and acting on that attraction are totally different things. That's what I mean by the choice to engage in a homosexual lifestyle. I am not arguing attraction. That could very well be the case.

Humans have the capacity to change and exercise self-control. That's all I am saying. Each person has the responsibility to determine whether they want to, or not.

Did you know that there are people who "were" homosexual that changed, and never did it again? I personally knew a guy like that. He's dead now, but its well documented. So, genetics/whatever don't dominate a person's life course if he doesn't want it to.

EDIT: The reason why I say "were homosexual" is because they say that. If they are no longer having intimate/sexual contact with persons of the same sex, they don't want to be referred to as "homosexual" because they say that they aren't anymore.

Last edited:

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Well, being attracted to someone and acting on that attraction are totally different things. That's what I mean by the choice to engage in a homosexual lifestyle. I am not arguing attraction. That could very well be the case.

Humans have the capacity to change and exercise self-control. That's all I am saying. Each person has the responsibility to determine whether they want to, or not.

Did you know that there are people who "were" homosexual that changed, and never did it again? I personally knew a guy like that. He's dead now, but its well documented. So, genetics/whatever don't dominate a person's life course if he doesn't want it to.

EDIT: The reason why I say "were homosexual" is because they say that. If they are no longer having intimate/sexual contact with persons of the same sex, they don't want to be referred to as "homosexual" because they say that they aren't anymore.

Ah yes.. the "ex-gay" bullshit. For every successful "ex-gay" there's 5 unsuccessful ones. The simplest (and, therefore, most likely to be correct) explanation is that the ones who are successful never really were attracted to the same sex in the first place and the unsuccessful ones always were.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Being gay is a choice.

Don't be gay. Easy enough.
LOL Tongue in cheek?

I'm reminded for some reason of a tee shirt that reads:
I can't even think straight, let alone be straight.

Interestingly, one of the men in the only gay couple I really know identifies as gay but was married for years and sired two beautiful, quite well adjusted kids. So apparently one can be gay and have sex with straight people. Or at least, some gay men can.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
LOL Tongue in cheek?

Interestingly, one of the men in the only gay couple I really know identifies as gay but was married for years and sired two beautiful, quite well adjusted kids. So apparently one can be gay and have sex with straight people. Or at least, some gay men can.

No, he's serious....and ultra religious.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Ah yes.. the "ex-gay" bullshit. For every successful "ex-gay" there's 5 unsuccessful ones. The simplest (and, therefore, most likely to be correct) explanation is that the ones who are successful never really were attracted to the same sex in the first place and the unsuccessful ones always were.

Hey, they're the ones saying this, I am not making this up.

EDIT: Erased accidentally....

Last edited:

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Secondly, human sexuality is a spectrum of conditions. Some people have absolutely no attraction to the same sex, some have absolutely no attraction to the opposite sex, and everyone else is somewhere in between those two extremes.

Thats distorting the truth a bit I would say. While sexual orientation does exist as a spectrum, heterosexuality is still by far the most dominant sexuality.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that bisexuality and homosexuality aren't true sexualities, because our bodies are designed for sexual reproduction with the opposite sex, even if you're gay.. Also, even homosexual relationships are still subject to the male/female dynamic.

How many times have I seen gay couples in which one clearly possesses the dominant/masculine archetype while the other the submissive/feminine..

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Thats distorting the truth a bit I would say. While sexual orientation does exist as a spectrum, heterosexuality is still by far the most dominant sexuality.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that bisexuality and homosexuality aren't true sexualities, because our bodies are designed for sexual reproduction with the opposite sex, even if you're gay.. Also, even homosexual relationships are still subject to the male/female dynamic.

How many times have I seen gay couples in which one clearly possesses the dominant/masculine archetype while the other the submissive/feminine..

Sexual orientation is ultimately in the brain, not what bits you were born with.

Gay relationships are in no way bound by the 'conventional' dominant/submissive archetype. In fact it is pretty rarely the case and making assumptions based on old stereotypes like that only exposes your own ignorance.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000

So? Its almost like sexuality and gender don't exactly line up.

Rob M has truly hit a new and exciting level of ignorance. Which Bible college did you go to?

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rob M has truly hit a new and exciting level of ignorance. Which Bible college did you go to?

The same one you did.

Disagree with someone, you're ignorant, eh. Its really not even about why, really... you just have to be in total disagreement with someone.

All I hear in people regurgitating the same scientific/biological guesses since before the modern era.

Really, who knows? No one. Who knows why people do half the crap they do? No one. Who really knows why homosexual traits even came into existence? Can any of you produce facts? Na ah... ya can't. Evolution? Even Darwin said he can't say factually that's what happened. That's another guess at best. Facts don't support that.

The Bible simply says we are born imperfect and in sin, then we breakdown from there. Human life expectancy has steadily declined over centuries, and so have our bodies, genetics and so on.

Homosexuality is really a human sickness. Not natural. Just like death (not natural), disease (not natural), birth defects, mental disease, and so on. NONE of these were/are natural to the human family but it's something we have to deal with. None of us WANT to deal with them, or LIKE to.

I'm defective.. one day I'm gonna die if not prematurely killed.

I am disagreeing with you. If that makes me ignorant, so be it.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
LOL Tongue in cheek?

So that begs the question. What is the term for a straight man who has sex with other men?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Being gay is a choice.

Don't be gay. Easy enough.

Depends on what you mean by gay. If you are talking about performing a homosexual act, then you are correct. If you are talking about being physically attracted to someone of the same sex, then you are wrong.

We all have the ability to control our sexual actions (there are some who cannot, but they are mentally broken), but we cannot control our sexual attraction.

For example, my neighborhood is a young, hot woman magnet. I am not lying, of the 50 women that live in my neighborhood, 40 of them are both young and hot. I find about 30 of them to be within my "oh my goodness, I would SOOO tap that" category. I do not even attempt to do so, since I am married and it would be a sexually immoral act if I did.

I cannot control my physical attraction to them, but I can control my physical actions.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The same one you did.

Disagree with someone, you're ignorant, eh. Its really not even about why, really... you just have to be in total disagreement with someone.

All I hear in people regurgitating the same scientific/biological guesses since before the modern era.

Really, who knows? No one. Who knows why people do half the crap they do? No one. Who really knows why homosexual traits even came into existence? Can any of you produce facts? Na ah... ya can't. Evolution? Even Darwin said he can't say factually that's what happened. That's another guess at best. Facts don't support that.

The Bible simply says we are born imperfect and in sin, then we breakdown from there. Human life expectancy has steadily declined over centuries, and so have our bodies, genetics and so on.

Homosexuality is really a human sickness. Not natural. Just like death (not natural), disease (not natural), birth defects, mental disease, and so on. NONE of these were/are natural to the human family but it's something we have to deal with. None of us WANT to deal with them, or LIKE to.

I'm defective.. one day I'm gonna die if not prematurely killed.

I am disagreeing with you. If that makes me ignorant, so be it.
Disagreeing with people doesn't make you ignorant. Your ignorance makes you ignorant. Your post here is so fucked up is HAS to be a troll. If it isn't, I weep for you and any kids you may have.

Retro Rob

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2012
Your post here is so fucked up is HAS to be a troll.

So, you aren't imperfect, never sin, won't get sick, won't die?... ever?

You know exactly the origin of homosexuality, etc? Everyone who doesn't, is wrong?

If none of this applies to you, then I guess my post is jacked.