Dad disowns his gay son in handwritten letter

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Not accepting people based on their sexual orientation is wrong no matter how you slice it. Justifying the non-acceptance by hiding behind the veil of religion is cowardly and ignorant.

Would you disown or not accept your own children should they be born lesbian or gay?

Wait a second. Now it's acceptance? I thought tolerance was all that was asked.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Okay, this is a father. Nothing is more pleasing for a father to have a son. For a father to now have to deal with the knowledge that his son is gay, I am sure causes him great pain and disappointment. And what kind of asshole son would even take a letter his father wrote to him and show it to people?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Okay, this is a father. Nothing is more pleasing for a father to have a son. For a father to now have to deal with the knowledge that his son is gay, I am sure causes him great pain and disappointment. And what kind of asshole son would even take a letter his father wrote to him and show it to people?

:rolleyes: Boo fucking hoo... grow a pair and man-up. It's pretty wimpy to disown your son because you can't deal with the "pain" and "disappointment" associated with him being gay.

Out of all the various excuses men make for abandoning their children this is among the most cowardly.

Last edited:

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
No matter how many times you repeat it, being gay is not a "lifestyle" choice any more than being straight is a "lifestyle" choice. You don't choose who you are attracted to. Absolutely ridiculous. The lengths people go through to justify their bigotry.

JKing106

Platinum Member
Mar 19, 2009

What kind of asshole father would write such a letter to his son?

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

So, someone showing a letter that his deadbeat father wrote to him somehow would make him bad too? That is a pretty special argument you have there.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
:rolleyes: Boo fucking hoo... grow a pair and man-up. It's pretty wimpy to disown your son because you can't deal with the "pain" and "disappointment" associated with him being gay.

Out of all the various excuses men make for abandoning their children this is among the most cowardly.

He is not a coward, lol. Do you even have any kids?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
He is not a coward, lol. Do you even have any kids?

Yes he is, whether you agree or not. No I don't have kids.

If he were a deadbeat dad in any other way you'd be critical of him for shirking his responsibilities, but since he's being a deadbeat dad by disowning his son for being gay you're ok with it?

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Yes he is, whether you agree or not. No I don't have kids.

If he were a deadbeat dad in any other way you'd be critical of him for shirking his responsibilities, but since he's being a deadbeat dad by disowning his son for being gay you're ok with it?

Thats what I thought......................

Give the dad some time. He has earned it I would say. His son just didn't tell his family he was changing college majors.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I hope that guy's father dies alone. Since he's a hateful piece of garbage, that will likely happen.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Thats what I thought......................

My dad is about as anti-gay as they come... and he didn't disown me when he found out. What does that say about this guy? It says my dad is a hell of a lot stronger than this asshole.

My dad and I are a lot alike; more alike than either of us would admit. We don't talk about certain things, but he's my dad and I'm his son... no matter what.

Give the dad some time. He has earned it I would say. His son just didn't tell his family he was changing college majors.

He hasn't earned shit. Of course you would think so because you think being told your son is gay is some incredibly devastating blow that justifiably threatens the father-son bond.

Last edited:

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
The father should not have disowned the son, but it would be a hard position to be in if you have a strong moral objection to homosexuality. I am not sure if there is a situation that merits disowning children, even if the children become serial killers. You can cut off a child physically, but those emotional, and possibly spiritual, ties remain.

The father is only doing a disservice to himself, as the son did a disservice to himself by publishing the letter. By publishing the son is merely affirming the position of the father- that the parent/child bond is not sacred. However, the son obviously was very hurt and wanted to get back at his father by publishing the letter, something he will live to regret as well, no doubt. I am guessing they had a pretty superficial or poor relationship to start with.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Why does it cause him pain and disappointment? Does the father feel responsible? That would be ignorant on the father's part.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
My dad is about as anti-gay as they come... and he didn't disown me when he found out. What does that say about this guy? It says my dad is a hell of a lot stronger than this asshole.

My dad and I are a lot alike; more alike than either of us would admit. We don't talk about certain things, but he's my dad and I'm his son... no matter what.

SNIP
Which is as it should be. No family members should fundamentally agree on everything; you simply agree to disagree and don't let it hurt the family bond.

Having a son tell you is he gay is akin to having a son tell you he is dropping out of college, or moving in with his girlfriend, or doesn't want to follow you into the family business. Parents are disappointed because these things don't match what they want for their child. Good parents recognize that their children must be their own people and make their own choices, and that the life they would choose for their child is not necessarily the life that will make that child happy. Good parents support their children whether or not the children make the life decisions the parent wants, or at least as long as the children aren't being actively evil.

Still calling shens on this letter though.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
It generally takes two to tango.

True, but this type of stuff is born in childhood. The parents have more responsibility to foster a healthy relationship with the children. When the children become adults, the responsibility is equal in a sense, but the relationship is something that is continued form childhood, so in some sense the responsibility is primarily the parents'.

BTW, is this even a real letter, or are people just wanting something to get all riled up about?

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Still calling shens on this letter though.

Same here. I wouldn't put it past the gay mafia (yes they exist) to concoct a letter like this to stir up feelings of guilt in the population. Particularly after the Chick Fil A drama which to me showed that there is a strong undercurrent of disapproval towards the bullying tactics used by the gay mafia to suppress any idealogy or sentiment that does not mesh with theirs.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
spittledip said:
BTW, is this even a real letter, or are people just wanting something to get all riled up about?

Same here. I wouldn't put it past the gay mafia (yes they exist) to concoct a letter like this to stir up feelings of guilt in the population. Particularly after the Chick Fil A drama which to me showed that there is a strong undercurrent of disapproval towards the bullying tactics used by the gay mafia to suppress any idealogy or sentiment that does not mesh with theirs.

As I said in an earlier post, there's no way to know whether this letter is real or not.

Disowning of children because they're gay does happen, though.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Haha gay mafia hahaha :D

Yes yes, this letter is so hard to believe. This scenario is unpossible. :rolleyes:

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

No that was the 'Big Gay Machine' not the 'Gay Mafia'.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
that he stood for what he believed to be right, instead of letting society dictate his beliefs. He can still love and be there for his son in a time of need without accepting a gay lifestyle. My brother was once an illegal drug-dealer but I never turned my back on him or stopped loving him despite his lifestyle. Same thing here.

Many people do that, he chose what he believes to be right.

disowning him is a bit harsh, but he still doesn't accept a gay lifestyle, obviously.

so according to you, KKK members are courageous to stand up for what they believe to be right as are members of all hate groups.

not to mention that hate is a choice and sexuality is not.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
It certainly does, but you know, it constitutes such a threat to the purity of humanity's bodily fluids that the father KNEW WHAT MUST BE DONE. :p

Godwin's Law invoked, you lose.

Lay off the caps dude. No one is stopping the idiot from making an idiotic decision.

However, by your rationale, if the son is doing nothing wrong then surely the father is wrong to disown him?

The caps were sarcastic. And there's nothing wrong with disowning anyone. It's a person's free choice. There's nothing right or wrong about either person in this case.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my niece is only 5, but it wouldn't surprise me if she turned out to be a lesbian when she grows up.

makes no difference to me, whatever makes her happy :thumbsup: