d5200 kit vs t4i w/18-135 STM kit

Discussion in 'Digital and Video Cameras' started by adairusmc, Jan 25, 2013.

1. adairusmc

adairusmc Diamond Member

I have been out of DSLRs for a little while (Sold my 7d, 50d, and all my L lenses last year to buy my wife a snowmobile), but I am wanting to get a new one since we have a baby on the way.

Video is going to be important, but the vast majority of the cameras use will be photos.

The d5200 is more expensive and right at the edge of my budget, and I do have more experience with canon - but I do not mind learning a new platform at all since I have no canon lenses left out of my old kit.

I like aspects of both cameras, but since I plan on only having a few lenses this time (the kit lens, and a 50mm prime of some type down the road is the current plan), I am wondering if the slightly cheaper STM lens kit with the t4i is the way to go. I have no idea on how the kit lens is on the Nikon, as I have never owned a Nikon before.

The D5200 is so new all I have are a few reviews to go by.

I guess I am just wondering if the d5200 is worth the higher price for the 18-55 kit than the t4i with the STM lens kit?

Thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - d5200 Forum Date
    Recommend a lens (or two) for a camera noob using Nikon D5200 Digital and Video Cameras Dec 27, 2014
    Nikon D5100 or D5200? Digital and Video Cameras Apr 21, 2014
    Nikon D5200 Digital and Video Cameras Sep 15, 2013

3. luv2liv

luv2liv Platinum Member

i have the t4i with that 18 to 135mm stm and love it!
    video is super slick! continuous auto focus is sweet and super silent. will use it for a wedding in March.

4. gevorg

gevorg Diamond Member

If you're willing to learn a new platform, checkout Sony cameras. For video, the Sony A57 will be superior (1080p60 with manual exposure controls and phase-detection autofocus). For stills, the 12fps might come handy to capture action. Focusing with LCD LiveView would be just as fast as with the viewfinder. There are more benefits to SLT, as long as you're willing to compromise ~0.3EV of light.

5. jlarsson

jlarsson Golden Member

If you do go the Nikon route, you may find yourself investing in an external microphone for video. I've got a D5100, and I can definitely hear the auto-focus motor working when playing back video.

6. adairusmc

adairusmc Diamond Member

Thanks for all of your input.

I decided on the Canon this evening and placed the order.

Other than the 18-135 STM kit, I also ordered -

Canon 50mm F/1.8 II
    Canon LP-E8 battery
    Crumpler Industry Disgrace neckstrap
    Crumpler 3 Million Dollar Home
    67mm hoya pro 1 digital UV filter
    32mm B+W multi resistant UV filter
    Sandisk Extreme 32gb memory card
    Lens Pen
    Small Air Blaster

That should be a good kit for getting back into it. I dont think I am forgetting anything anyways.

I wish I still had my 70-200 F/2.8 IS lens though.

7. HendrixFan

HendrixFan Diamond Member

If it isn't too late, you may wanna swap out that 50mm 1.8 for the 40mm 2.8 STM. The sample photos on POTN are pretty impressive and obviously for video it will be much easier than the 50mm.

8. iGas

iGas Diamond Member

Both D5200 and T4i are capable cameras, however I would go with the T4i because the learning curve will be shorter.

Knowing your equipment is much more usable than having an expensive camera that you are not well verse at.

9. adairusmc

adairusmc Diamond Member

Thanks for the tip, just ordered one. Too late to swap it out though, amazon doesn't mess around, especially when you have prime.

I can always keep the f/1.8 around for just photos, as it is a bit faster. Otherwise, I can just return it. Both lenses do use the same filters though, which is nice.

10. luv2liv

luv2liv Platinum Member

return the canon battery pack.
    get the generic version. works just as good! and for the price, you can get 10 generic vs 1 genuine.

11. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Lifer

Nikon because the zoom rotates the correct direction

12. PixelSquish

PixelSquish Diamond Member

too bad you already ordered. the panny gh3 is becoming available and it is industry leading in the video category amongst all dslr's and mirrorless cameras. stills IQ is also quite high, and you get the enjoyable small and light lenses of the MFT family.

13. adairusmc

adairusmc Diamond Member

Thank you, I did notice those after I ordered and got a generic one coming. Supposedly it lasts longer too according to the reviews on amazon .

14. RagingBITCH

RagingBITCH Lifer

Good choice! The 18-135STM has gotten some pretty good reviews. Not a L lens by any means, but it's a really good walk-around, and blows away the mediocre previous 18-135.

Concur on the generic batteries - never had an issue with my P&S or my XSi. I do need to get some for my T3i though - do you have a link to the generic ones you got? (Same battery)

15. Kelvrick

Kelvrick Lifer

I haven't purchased from them in a few years, but Sterlingtek were considered some of the best aftermarket batteries you could get. Personally, I wouldn't trust any random generic batteries.

http://sterlingtek.com/

16. adairusmc

adairusmc Diamond Member

This is the aftermarket battery I ended up getting, based on the amazon reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i06

I havent really used it much since getting the camera, still using the first charge on the stock battery.