D-Link DPR 1260 Print Server and NAS

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: slashbinslashbash
So will it turn a USB HDD into a NAS, or does it have to have a "real" NAS plugged into the Ethernet port?

From the reports I have read, the USB port will turn a USB storage device into a NAS. I have one on the way and will report back and let all of you know how well the NAS feature works.

beergeek

Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Googer
Originally posted by: slashbinslashbash
So will it turn a USB HDD into a NAS, or does it have to have a "real" NAS plugged into the Ethernet port?

From the reports I have read, the USB port will turn a USB storage device into a NAS. I have one on the way and will report back and let all of you know how well the NAS feature works.

Actually, from the description on D-Link's Site, it can act as a wireless AP for anything ethernet enabled (computer, NAS, etc.), but you can only attach printers (including AIOs) to the USB ports - it doesn't turn a USB storage device into something network accessible. It will just make a wired NAS available wirelessly...

beergeek

Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: gibster
Does it work with scanners then also?

According to the D-Link site, it can support the scanning function of "some" AIOs, but the implication is that it doesn't support stand-alone scanners.

imported_nunya

Jul 15, 2005

When I got mine from a previous deal I tried connecting my Epson Perfection scanner to it since it says is supports scanning from some AIOs. When I logged into the D-Link it didn't recognize anything plugged into that usb port. Maybe other scanners would work but I wouldn't count on it.

gibster

Jan 18, 2002
Thanks for the info fellas, I would still like to know if I can connect my HP Scanjet 2400 to it, that would be awesome to have a network-attached scanner, but it seems to be a crapshoot.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
So this thing isn't a NAS then. It just serves as a bridge to make a current wired NAS wireless, which is fairly pointless if you ask me since most people would already have their NAS hooked into a router for both wired and wireless access.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004

Yes it will work with multifunction printers and scans from those devices can be sent over the LAN. If you are looking to for support of a standalone scanner, I have heard AXIS communications 5570e (USB/1284) can do this, but I cannot confirm though I have used AXIS products in the past and believe they are some of the best on the market.

http://support.dlink.com/emula...260/status_server.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16833111005
http://www.axis.com/products/axis_5570e/index.htm

If you need a Scanner Server, then look here:
http://www.axis.com/products/axis_70u/index.htm
http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/s...ver%20-%20USB-Scanners

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: xyyz
i wonder how well this works with multifunction devices.

It has been said the DPR-1260 works very well with multifunction printers.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Googer
Originally posted by: xyyz
i wonder how well this works with multifunction devices.

It has been said the DPR-1260 works very well with multifunction printers.
I use it with my Samsung SCX-4521F and it works great with regard to printing. I haven't tried scanning over the network, or hooking up other USB devices. Printing from my desktop with an ethernet connection is fast, but large print jobs from my wireless notebook can take a long time (up to 10 minutes!), but that's just the nature of the beast. Either way, this print server has worked flawlessly since I set it up 5 weeks ago.

Note that the price has been as low as $35 after MIR.

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Just arrived a few days ago. Works as advertized, but USB MASS Storage is not supported. Instead, you connect a cross over cable to the NAS and DPR-1260 and the wireless print server acts as a bridge. I suppose you could also use this as a wireless XBOX bridge or any other CAT5/6 device, but I have yet to test that sort of functionality though Dlink says it will work. Overall, I consider this to be a good value and recommend the Dlink DPR1260.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does anyone know if the print server functionality works if you connect it via the ethernet jack instead of the wireless? And can you use multiple PCs behind the ethernet port, as a wireless client-mode device? (Connect a switch to the ethernet port, and connect multiple PCs behind it.)

Googer

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Does anyone know if the print server functionality works if you connect it via the ethernet jack instead of the wireless? And can you use multiple PCs behind the ethernet port, as a wireless client-mode device? (Connect a switch to the ethernet port, and connect multiple PCs behind it.)

Yes, but you must use the wire to configure it that way.