D-LINK DGL-4500 always slooooow but bridged perfect?

BAD311

Mar 18, 2009
Hey guys,

I'm in a real bind... This has been a issue going on a year and I must find a solution.

Any router coming off of my modem becomes so unusable I might as well not even use the internet. I've swapped out my DGL-4500 for two other DGL-4500 units, a Belkin router, a Netgear router, and several other brands and models of routers. Whatever is connected to the modem becomes so slow I can't even work or do anything on it. However, my XBOX360 consoles hardwired to the DGL-4500 work beautifully. My wired Windows 7 desktops, and even my Dell (Win 7) laptop become unusable hardwired to the DGL-4500... I've replaced the modem with the latest and great DOCSIS 3.0 routers by Motorola, Zoom? and another company only to run into the same darn problem. I've had Comcast provision my modem multiple times, nothing changes. However I have noticed that Windows XP computers seem to work just fine hardwired into the DGL-4500 router. They can be connected direct to it or through my DGS-1008G switch (previously a Linksys switch), but connect a Win 7 machine to the DGL-4500 or the DGS-1008G and bham, no go. Can't load videos on youtube, can't use pandora, cannot do anything. The solution? I connected a Belkin router to the DGL-4500, ran a wire across the house to the bedroom and woo! Any wireless device connects perfectly, Win 7, Win XP, any wireless machine connects to it perfectly, connect a machine with a wire to the same Belkin router, same thing, great ping, upload and d/l. Connect same machines back up to the DGL-4500... nothing...

For some reason the Xbox 360's work fine through the DGL-4500, the switch works fine (for Win XP machines), and the bridge router allows anything/everything to work beautifully... But my two gaming rigs in the office cannot connect to the DGL-4500 direct OR via the 1008G switch, nor can another Win 7 desktop OR my Win 7 laptop...

In the DGL-4500 I've disabled, enabled everything... Disabled firewall, disabled gamerfuel, have the latest firmware, disabled/enabled DHCP, etc...

If I swap the DGL-4500 out with any other router, say I put the Belkin router in it's place, the Belkin becomes crap and the DGL-4500 will work beautifully.

W T H IS GOING ON???