D.C. police to block off neighborhoods to residents only or those with permission

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: piasabird
When you have a location where the government tells its citizens they dont have the right to bear arms, it is the government that takes on the responsibility for personal protection that the citizens freely gave up. In some cities, the people themselves would rather have no gun carry laws. The only problem with this is that the people who do carry guns do not face enough of a penalty. If you have a no gun carry law, then the penalty should be life without parole, or the death sentence, because the only purpose to carry a gun in DC is with the intent of killing someone.

<taps sarcasm meter> "Is this thing working?"

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I didn't see it in the OP. Are these police being paid by the neighborhood or public funds? If it's the latter why aren't the residents paying for their personal security force?

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Crap like this has not solved the crime problems in the UK. It will not solve it in DC either.

5to1baby1in5

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2001
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
In-fucking-sane.

*boggle*

I wonder if it's possible to really quantify all of the good that would come from a large scale explosion that wiped out the entire population of Washington DC.

Just encircle the entire city in a 50' high fence, and land mine the exits. Plop it down really quick, and anyone cuaght inside is in for life.

Yes, I did watch 'Escape From New York' last night. :D

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
My 21 year old gf travels with two guns. One holstered and one in the glove box. She has permits for both and has used them 4 times in total all in self defense.

What happened 4 times that she had to use it?

2 sexual assaults in the university parking lot, 1 break in to her apartment, and 1 attempted carjacking. She shot the guy(s) each time, never fatally. (Though the guy who broke into her apartment took 5 rounds to the chest). Sex assaults were easily self defense. Guy in the apartment came at her with a hatchet and the carjacker aimed a gun at her. I never owned a gun till I lived with her but own 4 now that I keep at her place until my permit gets approved. :)

Jesus H, I'd have moved after the second attack. You sure your GF doesnt have a set of brass balls? ;)

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Drift3r
Originally posted by: Kappo
Didn't read all the posts yet, did we get any "If we just throw money at them, they wont want to be violent anymore" posts?

Considering how leftist AT seems to be, Im going with "3".

Is that why Homeland Security was created? Damn that leftist Bush administration and GOP congress!

A few months ago the resident hardcore right wingers were okay with this type of crap below so excuse me if I find your outrage anything but suspect in this matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgkB9Cs18I

Im not right, either ;) There are more than just the dumber and dumbest parties in this country. I wouldnt expect a liberal to notice, though. Im actually amazed they know about republicans.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
Originally posted by: Buck Armstrong
My 21 year old gf travels with two guns. One holstered and one in the glove box. She has permits for both and has used them 4 times in total all in self defense.

What happened 4 times that she had to use it?

2 sexual assaults in the university parking lot, 1 break in to her apartment, and 1 attempted carjacking. She shot the guy(s) each time, never fatally. (Though the guy who broke into her apartment took 5 rounds to the chest). Sex assaults were easily self defense. Guy in the apartment came at her with a hatchet and the carjacker aimed a gun at her. I never owned a gun till I lived with her but own 4 now that I keep at her place until my permit gets approved. :)

Jesus H, I'd have moved after the second attack. You sure your GF doesnt have a set of brass balls? ;)

Well, the thing is, the area isn't bad at all (We live in Lajolla most of the year near SD) so we are putting it down to just bad luck ect. Though she does travel with a friend if I'm not there after dark now. Heh, it was funny how she turned me into a gun lover after holding the exact opposite position for years :p