Cynical: Do you really believe we landed on Mars?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: K1052
Why spend billions on a fakes? There would be no point, no gain.

Presumably, if they faked the landing they could also fake spending monkey, no? :)

Workin'

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Descartes

Presumably, if they faked the landing they could also fake spending monkey, no? :)
It looks like they used lots of fake monkey to build NASA in Houston and Florida and Huntsville and on and on. Or did you mean money? ;)

Damn nutjobs. Everyone knows the Earth is flat, dammit.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Descartes

Hmmm. I haven't actually touched the rockets or assembly buildings. I guess they could be made completely of balsa wood.;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
TIN FOIL BEANIES!! GET YER TINFOIL BEANIES HERE!! KEEP THE MIND-CONTROL WAVES OUT OF YOUR BRAIN FOR ONLY $3.99!!!

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: zimu
i don't doubt the mars landing; i do doubt the original humans on the moon landing though.

if they didn't actually land on mars, they've gone to quite great lengths to cover it up and really done a good job preventing any leaks of any sorts. anything from photographs of the surface to the daily updates to the video feeds etc etc etc

doubt the moon landing???? Bah, once I heard the unedited version of they really said there is not doubt in my mind we landed on the moon in '69.

Actual audio

I LOVE that!! Cracks me up everytime! :D

Armyranger4ever

Dec 18, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
We need to invent a special word for people like you.

There will never be progress with people like you questioning every achievement. Geez, let these researches feel proud and have their moment.

I am not saying that I believe nor disbelieve in the landing. I am merely pointing out the coincidences of the matter. However, please don't tell me you are one of those people that actually believes everything that the government says/does? Governments (yes, our own as well!) engage daily in subterfuge for numerous reasons.

Richdog

Golden Member
Feb 10, 2003
Originally posted by: Fausto
TIN FOIL BEANIES!! GET YER TINFOIL BEANIES HERE!! KEEP THE MIND-CONTROL WAVES OUT OF YOUR BRAIN FOR ONLY $3.99!!!

Quick, get me a dozen!:beer:

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Armyranger4ever

There will never be progress with people like you questioning every achievement. Geez, let these researches feel proud and have their moment.

I am not saying that I believe nor disbelieve in the landing. I am merely pointing out the coincidences of the matter. However, please don't tell me you are one of those people that actually believes everything that the government says/does? Governments (yes, our own as well!) engage daily in subterfuge for numerous reasons.
What coincidences? You keep mentioning this, but haven't pointed anything out yet.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Actually the tin foil beanies have proven to be counterproductive. They only amplify the signal from the tracking device that was implanted at birth.

MystikMango

Jan 8, 2004
Actually the tin foil beanies have proven to be counterproductive. They only amplify the signal from the tracking device that was implanted at birth.

That's why to never remove the foil when you chew gum, to scrabble the signals.
:D

Armyranger4ever

Dec 18, 2002

DON'T MAKE FUN OF ME!!!!! Everyone knows tin foil only keeps out gamma rays from Pluto! Martians use electromagnetics!

jurzdevil

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2002
i was in hackettstown, nj about a week ago and i saw a big fireball and then a parachute and then a big bouncey ball that crashed down on the roof of a big building and bounced around for a little bit then opened up.

so yeh i believe they landed on mars.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

DON'T MAKE FUN OF ME!!!!! Everyone knows tin foil only keeps out gamma rays from Pluto! Martians use electromagnetics!
Not if you allow the tinfoil with molybdenum, n00b. Sheesh.
rolleye.gif

:p

Armyranger4ever

Dec 18, 2002

What coincidences? You keep mentioning this, but haven't pointed anything out yet.

Ok, as I said, the Space program has been under fire, most recently with loss of Columbia :( . Lost landers, destroyed shuttles, and misappropriated funds have been the mark of the Space program for years. It just seems coincedental (again, not saying I disbelieve the landing) that at a time when many are questioning whether or not to cut funding to various space initiatives, up pops the rover to revitalize and renew the spirit for exploration. That's all that I am saying!!! Nothing more.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Ok, as I said, the Space program has been under fire, most recently with loss of Columbia :( . Lost landers, destroyed shuttles, and misappropriated funds have been the mark of the Space program for years. It just seems coincedental (again, not saying I disbelieve the landing) that at a time when many are questioning whether or not to cut funding to various space initiatives, up pops the rover to revitalize and renew the spirit for exploration. That's all that I am saying!!! Nothing more.
Honestly the biggest issue IMHO is one of relevancy. WTF good does a man on the moon do the average family of four hovering at the poverty line? It's just not a priority right now.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Let me try one of these: in Soviet Russia, Mars lands on you! :Q

are we gonna start this soviet russia business all over again :)

In Soviet Russia, Soviet Russia business starts you!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000

I think the rovers were launched pre-Columbia disaster.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Honestly the biggest issue IMHO is one of relevancy. WTF good does a man on the moon do the average family of four hovering at the poverty line? It's just not a priority right now.

If you want to wait until we rid the world of poverty before we explore space... we'll never go. Poverty is NOT cured by government actions, taxes or handouts.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002

Exactly. Even if they weren't the planning stages for these things take YEARS. There is now way they could foreshadow events of the future. It's a coincidence pure and simple. You don't just go to the store and get a Mars rover and launch it the next day.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003

How about 'technostic'. Like an agnostic, but for things technical. If it was an absolute denial, they already have a word, Luddite.

The proof we did do it? The Japanese tried and missed, the EU tried and did not hear from it again, and the US version works (but we forgot that to walk out of the house after a party may be difficult if you don't clean it up).

Armyranger4ever

Dec 18, 2002

I agree. That is the political implication that I spoke of. I think that this is a way to push the Bush agenda of space exploration at the expense of the common man. I would be interested in seeing how much pork has been written into this 10 year plan of his.

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: gsellis

The Japanese tried and missed...

Nope, the Japanese government made up a lie about them missing... its all a conspiracy. Why would the Japanese government lie about that? I don't know! Thats what makes it even more conspiritous (<--- is that a word?)!

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: PanzerIV

Exactly. Even if they weren't the planning stages for these things take YEARS. There is now way they could foreshadow events of the future. It's a coincidence pure and simple. You don't just go to the store and get a Mars rover and launch it the next day.

STFU! I just ordered mine from Amazon ($149.99 AR).

Launch date: tomorrow
Destination: Uranus