Cynical: Do you really believe we landed on Mars?

Armyranger4ever

Dec 18, 2002
Ok, call me a cynic if you will, but with the well documented problems in the US space program (dating back to Challenger), it just seems mighty coincidental to me that they were able to get the rover there, fully functional, and for this mission to be as successful as it has been.

So I ask, like many did during the Moon mission in '69: do you think that the rover is really on Mars? Or is this a governmental way of pouring more funding into the dilapidated and antiquated Space program?

I know, I know...you'll call me paranoid, but this just doesn't smell right. Reminds me kinda of "Wag The Dog" with Dustin Hoffman and Robert DeNiro. (excellent movie, BTW). Does this not smell right to any of you? There are obvious political implications here that are better discussed elsewhere, but the discussion of are we really on Mars or the Mojave belongs right here.

So happy Friday and have at it!
:cool:

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I find it amazing the crap people will believe, and disbelieve.
rolleye.gif

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i don't doubt the mars landing; i do doubt the original humans on the moon landing though.

if they didn't actually land on mars, they've gone to quite great lengths to cover it up and really done a good job preventing any leaks of any sorts. anything from photographs of the surface to the daily updates to the video feeds etc etc etc

Justin218

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2001
Yeah, I also think the queen of spain and christopher columbus staged the entire new continent thing as well. A new continent?!? Everyone knows you'd fall off the earth.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I refuse to believe that that many scientists would defraud themselves, but since we're being cynical; anything is possible.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
We need to invent a special word for people like you.

There will never be progress with people like you questioning every achievement. Geez, let these researches feel proud and have their moment.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: zimu
i don't doubt the mars landing; i do doubt the original humans on the moon landing though.

if they didn't actually land on mars, they've gone to quite great lengths to cover it up and really done a good job preventing any leaks of any sorts. anything from photographs of the surface to the daily updates to the video feeds etc etc etc

doubt the moon landing???? Bah, once I heard the unedited version of they really said there is not doubt in my mind we landed on the moon in '69.

Actual audio

damiano

Platinum Member
May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: rudder

doubt the moon landing???? Bah, once I heard the unedited version of they really said there is not doubt in my mind we landed on the moon in '69.

Actual audio

hah

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Do you also doubt that the Apollo 11 astronauts placed a laser ranging retroreflector on the moon that scientists now use to determine how fast the moon is receding from us? If they didn't put it there, who did?

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
So you're going to tell me all the private radio telescopes that were aimed at Mars listening for Spirit's "beeps" for landing confirmation were all faked? There is no doubt in my mind that we landed on Mars. Call me crazy, but I also believe we landed on the Moon. If you can't believe this, then you people are crazy. Do you need Hubble or something pointed at Spirit's landing site to show you visual proof? Or will you not believe that either?

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Isn't there a plan for a rover with a return vehicle that'll bring back samples? I know at the time of the last rover there was plans for such a lander sometime around now, but I don't know if it got cut or not.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Descartes

Do you also doubt that the Apollo 11 astronauts placed a laser ranging retroreflector on the moon that scientists now use to determine how fast the moon is receding from us? If they didn't put it there, who did?
Teh 4lienz put it dere d0od.

PowerMacG5

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2002
Originally posted by: MrBond
Isn't there a plan for a rover with a return vehicle that'll bring back samples? I know at the time of the last rover there was plans for such a lander sometime around now, but I don't know if it got cut or not.
Yes, there are plans for a spacecraft that will fly through the atmosphere of Mars, collect dust samples, and return them to Earth.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder

Actual audio

ROFLES! I need to go to sleep before my brain explodes. I've been up all night on teh intarweb :p

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Let me try one of these: in Soviet Russia, Mars lands on you! :Q

are we gonna start this soviet russia business all over again :)

It was my first time, I had to give it a shot.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Why spend billions on a fakes? There would be no point, no gain.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Um,

A) A rover already landed on Mars in 97 or something that we lost contact with
B) There's supposed to be another one landing on the opposite side of Mars pretty soon.

Frickin' conspiracy nutjobs

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: blazert40
You Sir are an Idiot.

:D

I have little faith in the integrity of our government but I have no doubt men landed on the moon and we have sent exploration rovers to Mars. Some of the biggest conspiracies have been blown sky high over the years and I don't think they could keep those under wraps for so long, especially landing on the moon.
rolleye.gif