Cynical: Do you really believe we landed on Mars?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PanzerIV

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: PanzerIV
Originally posted by: Armyranger4ever
Originally posted by: Fausto
We need to invent a special word for people like you.

There will never be progress with people like you questioning every achievement. Geez, let these researches feel proud and have their moment.

I am not saying that I believe nor disbelieve in the landing. I am merely pointing out the coincidences of the matter. However, please don't tell me you are one of those people that actually believes everything that the government says/does? Governments (yes, our own as well!) engage daily in subterfuge for numerous reasons.
What coincidences? You keep mentioning this, but haven't pointed anything out yet.

Ok, as I said, the Space program has been under fire, most recently with loss of Columbia :( . Lost landers, destroyed shuttles, and misappropriated funds have been the mark of the Space program for years. It just seems coincedental (again, not saying I disbelieve the landing) that at a time when many are questioning whether or not to cut funding to various space initiatives, up pops the rover to revitalize and renew the spirit for exploration. That's all that I am saying!!! Nothing more.

I think the rovers were launched pre-Columbia disaster.

Exactly. Even if they weren't the planning stages for these things take YEARS. There is now way they could foreshadow events of the future. It's a coincidence pure and simple. You don't just go to the store and get a Mars rover and launch it the next day.

STFU! I just ordered mine from Amazon ($149.99 AR).

Launch date: tomorrow
Destination: Uranus

Cool! I'm gettin' mine too but I am launching it somewhere else cuz I don't want anything to do with Uranus... :p

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Fausto
TIN FOIL BEANIES!! GET YER TINFOIL BEANIES HERE!! KEEP THE MIND-CONTROL WAVES OUT OF YOUR BRAIN FOR ONLY $3.99!!!

DON'T MAKE FUN OF ME!!!!! Everyone knows tin foil only keeps out gamma rays from Pluto! Martians use electromagnetics!
:D

Martians? Everyone knows it's Major League Baseball. Geez kids these days.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Why does everyone get so defensive when someone questions the reality? Which is worse? Not believing or freaking out over non belief?

79Blazer

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2003
Originally posted by: rudder
Originally posted by: zimu
i don't doubt the mars landing; i do doubt the original humans on the moon landing though.

if they didn't actually land on mars, they've gone to quite great lengths to cover it up and really done a good job preventing any leaks of any sorts. anything from photographs of the surface to the daily updates to the video feeds etc etc etc

doubt the moon landing???? Bah, once I heard the unedited version of they really said there is not doubt in my mind we landed on the moon in '69.

Actual audio

Funniest. Post. EVAR. ^ Teh funnay!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
if its faked, it requires the assumption that its a perfect deception. other countries, france, ussr*back in first mars missions*, etc that hate us would love nothing more then to discredit us completely. either they are incredibly retarded, or we're incredibly incredible with this deception:)

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The stakes are not the same as they were in 1969 for space exploration and dominance. The government would have too much to lose and very little to gain to bother faking something like this, that to be honest, most of the population probably doesn't care much about. All the people employeed by NASA and other various and sundry government contractors would have to keep a pretty tight lid on it too, but for what gain? With all of the funding NASA receives, it is highly unlikely they would be able to channel the greater percentage of it elsewhere while under scrutiny from countless other government boards and agencies, not to mention the employees, the public, and the media. I agree that the president Bush is likely going to use support for the space program to bolster his reelection campaign, and probably draw back support once in office just like his father because the glaring debt created by his war makes it financially reckless to continue support for something that offers him little benefit.

The American people on the other hand, and the whole world even, have a great deal to gain. Aside from knowledge, which to me is the biggest motivator, the process that NASA goes through in order to put men on Mars will certainly come with unexpected side benefits to medicine and applicable technology just because of the enormous research budget, not to mention any future research this makes possible in regard to the red planet itself. If Bush is sincere and comitted to the space program, and I don't mean like Reagan was, then it might change the way I feel about his administration and give me some hope for the next four years. THAT I'm skeptical about however.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Justin218
Yeah, I also think the queen of spain and christopher columbus staged the entire new continent thing as well. A new continent?!? Everyone knows you'd fall off the earth.

LOL!
LOL2!

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
Originally posted by: Descartes
I refuse to believe that that many scientists would defraud themselves, but since we're being cynical; anything is possible.

Too many people would have to lie and keeping lying for the hoax to work for 34 years.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: zimu
i don't doubt the mars landing; i do doubt the original humans on the moon landing though.

Amazing...

as i grow and meet more and more people....i find it typical

not typical that someone would believe the mars landing and not the moon landing, just typically dense

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Hrmmm, what happened to my post..... :| :brokenheart:

Personally, I don't think we landed on mars. I think NASA's Photochop experts just threw it together :D