Cyberlink responds to the alleged AACS HD DVD hack

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Cyberlink responds to the alleged AACS hack:

First of all, PowerDVD complies to AACS compliance rules to ensure HD DVD contents are fully protected. Cyberlink is confident that PowerDVD fully protects HD DVD contents.

Secondly, PowerDVD does not keep "Title Keys" in system memory. Cyberlink is not sure how the user got the Title Key and notes that the released tool nor the video on YouTube provides the information on obtaining the Titles Keys.

Thirdly, there are no evidences that the user is using PowerDVD to hack/crack HD DVD video content. He or she was simply using PowerDVD to playback the video that was ripped with other software. PowerDVD supports evo video file format playback.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
How would such a statement protect them from lawsuits?

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
they are just trying to protect themselves from lawsuits

who exactly is going to sue them (and win)?

:confused:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeeebus
Originally posted by: mzkhadir
they are just trying to protect themselves from lawsuits

who exactly is going to sue them (and win)?

:confused:

Not lawsuits excatly but whomever controls AACS, hoping to keep them from revoking their liscence.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I still don't see how they possibly could have software players without storing the title key somewhere in memory. The title key is needed to decrypt the movie, so it has to be kept somewhere, it's just a matter of locating it. This has nothing to do with Cyberlink and is inherent to all software players, unless there's some decryption technique of which I'm unaware.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Thirdly, there are no evidences
sounds like it was written by a lawyer.

my boss was shocked to find out that 'correspondences' isn't a word.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: MisterJackson
Originally posted by: Eug
How would such a statement protect them from lawsuits?
By saying "It wasn't our fvcking program he used to crack this sh1t....go sue someone else!"
Except that if it was their problem, the AACS/HD DVD/studio people would still give them a nasty reprimand or could even sue them, regardless of this statement.

And it's not as if anyone else would sue them.

So, I don't see how this statement would protect Cyberlink at all if the statement turned out to incorrect. And if their statement turns out to be true, there would be no reason for the AACS/HD DVD/studio people to reprimand them.

More importantly, I'd like to hear more about how that guy got the keys exactly. I would have expected more people out there to have duplicated his results by now.

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I still don't see how they possibly could have software players without storing the title key somewhere in memory. The title key is needed to decrypt the movie, so it has to be kept somewhere, it's just a matter of locating it. This has nothing to do with Cyberlink and is inherent to all software players, unless there's some decryption technique of which I'm unaware.

I would imagine since HDCP compliant hardware is required for HD content the keys are likely stored on the hardware chips that make the device HDCP compliant. Not in main memory. Making it more difficult, though not impossible, to access.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ryan256
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
I would imagine since HDCP compliant hardware is required for HD content the keys are likely stored on the hardware chips that make the device HDCP compliant. Not in main memory. Making it more difficult, though not impossible, to access.
This has nothing to do with HDCP.