CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra $34.99 AC FS @ Newegg (expires 3/18)

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
So the question is what has better quality, playing a BluRay through Cyberlink PowerDVD or using AnyDVDHD with MPC & MadVR?

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
So the question is what has better quality, playing a BluRay through Cyberlink PowerDVD or using AnyDVDHD with MPC & MadVR?
If you want the menus, you have to go with PowerDVD. Unless they've really improved the renderer in 14 (I have 13), I think madVR looks better for the main movie, though admittedly not by a lot.

Berryracer

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2006
Don't buy PowerDVD, I have a license for PowerDVD 14 Ultra and the problem is, I do a lot of formats every now and then and reinstall Windows or go back to a previous clean state image, 3 activations and baam, your license is blacklisted and it takes customer service 7 working days to reset it and they ask you stupid questions like "send us a screenshot of the error message that occurs when you try to activate it" like duhhhhhh, I told you already it says exceeded the amount of allowed activations just help me reset my activation limit FFS!

Any paid software that limits me in how I can use my computer or reinstall I'd never buy again.

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
Don't buy PowerDVD, I have a license for PowerDVD 14 Ultra and the problem is, I do a lot of formats every now and then and reinstall Windows or go back to a previous clean state image, 3 activations and baam, your license is blacklisted and it takes customer service 7 working days to reset it and they ask you stupid questions like "send us a screenshot of the error message that occurs when you try to activate it" like duhhhhhh, I told you already it says exceeded the amount of allowed activations just help me reset my activation limit FFS!

Any paid software that limits me in how I can use my computer or reinstall I'd never buy again.
I'm fairly certain it's been long since established that official means of playing blu ray on the pc royally suck. :p

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
I'm fairly certain it's been long since established that official means of playing blu ray on the pc royally suck. :p
Nero has a very nice little Blu-ray player that comes with their top-of-the-line package. Worth the upgrade if you have Nero, not so much if you don't unless you can use all the other baggage in the package.