Question Cutting to the quick on AM5 Air cooling

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I want a simple to connect, pragmatic quality air cooler for AM5.
Not overclocking, no interest at all in an AIO configuration for a 65w cpu.
any help cutting thru the static would be appreciated. do not want any esoteric adapters
ease of installation with good thermals, cost appropriate...etc.
seems like there is too much noise and not alot of solid choice on this dilemma.
and no i am not spending $100 on a HSF
tia!

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Scythe makes great coolers, I prefer the silver version, but it's harder to find.

Dead silent, and the brackets screw directly into the AM5 backplate. Very simple to install:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
thanks for all the input, I bought a 7500f just to get me into the am5 platform, I will at some point want to upgrade to a late am5 that may or may not be more power hungry. typically I have built around the 1x8 pin for gpu, 65w for cpu framework but I may need something more robust down the line. its easy to get lost in the minutiae but I have the processor and the case, waiting for prime day for mainboard/psu/misc which probably isn't worth it but I have the rest of the summer into autumn to spec this machine. it might be the last I ever build who knows?:D

Last edited:

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
Scythe makes great coolers, I prefer the silver version, but it's harder to find.

Dead silent, and the brackets screw directly into the AM5 backplate. Very simple to install:
That looks nice, how does it behave with normal size DIMMS? I see a lot of these air coolers as big as a reviewers head, a long way from the ORB coolers from 25 years ago.
is it overkill?

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I have an e-atx case. so it should accommodate the size, worry about dimm placement

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've tried out two on the 7800X3D:

Noctua NH-D15S
Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2

During CPU saturation, the Noctua allowed the CPU to turbo at 4.7GHz all the way, the BQ PR2 at 4.5GHz.

In hindsight (there was a complication at the last minute with ordering parts for my brother's PC build), I would have tried the BQ Shadow Rock 3 on his.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
That looks nice, how does it behave with normal size DIMMS? I see a lot of these air coolers as big as a reviewers head, a long way from the ORB coolers from 25 years ago.
is it overkill?
It is large, but does not cover the DIMM slots at all. All 4 are completely open.
101_2236.JPG

I like overkill when it comes to CPU coolers. I even put a stronger fan on mine, definitely not required, but I wanted it to match.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
It is large, but does not cover the DIMM slots at all. All 4 are completely open.
View attachment 102479

I like overkill when it comes to CPU coolers. I even put a stronger fan on mine, definitely not required, but I wanted it to match.
Nice interior decorating! we're on the same page, per your inclinations. I'm waiting to see what cooling requirements Arrow Lake demands, before I also make a choice to buy an air-cooler. And the new processor is just one of my options at this point.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
I went with a wraith spire, i did try the thermalright, but just wanted something bolt on, worked fine on the riptide b650m pg with stock backplate. around 40c idle not great not terrible, but ambient room temp is closer to 80f atm

Reactions: Hotrod2go

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think the only issue you may see with the wraith spire is that you will leave performance on the floor if you upgrade your CPU to a 7800X or similar performance chip in the future (they are 120W TDP chips...).