Cut the cord today!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
With the cable TV savings (around $120/mo) I could purchase just aired episodes on iTunes/Google Play/Amazon and probably still come out ahead.

Or wait 6-12 months and watch them on Netflix.
Purchasing just aired shows is ridiculously expensive. $2.99/episode for HD... gtfo...Even the season passes don't save you that much cash.
$2.99 may not seem like that much until you start to realize just how many shows you watch.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Purchasing just aired shows is ridiculously expensive. $2.99/episode for HD... gtfo...Even the season passes don't save you that much cash.
$2.99 may not seem like that much until you start to realize just how many shows you watch.

$2.99 x 10 per week (conservative) x 52 weeks / 12 = $129 per month

GTFO!

I need to get a life.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Guess I was wrong. Looks like you got it figured out. Cut that cord and let us know how it goes. No cheating though. Torrents, Usenet, DDLs, and IRC are off the table.

If that episode of HelixS2E1 airs you got to purchase it. Even if you just want to "check it out" to see if its good.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
(Caveat: I've been drinking)

Came in here thinking that you'd all be talking about Dish's new Sling TV service..."TNT, TBS, CNN, Food Network, HGTV, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, the Disney Channel, ESPN, and ESPN2"

No contract...I'm willing to try it out as soon as it's available. For the "Walking Dead" viewers, it's missing AMC...but honestly, my ideal early a la carte internet service included ESPN and HBO and fuckall.

Blueoak

Dec 13, 2001
I cut the cord last summer. I just use Netflix along with some of the network websites.

I don't have to use a HD antenna where I live, just the cable. I have internet via Cox Cable; no TV package of any type. I'm able to get the network channels and a few other free local channels via cable (used a splitter). I think the technology is called QAM. If you get internet via cable and your cable company supports it, you just need a TV with a QAM tuner or a capture card (which I'm using).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Cord Cutting is only good if you don't care about sports and all you watch is TV shows. I watch sports and I don't watch TV shows at all so cord cutting doesn't work for me since all there is to watch on Netflix and Hulu is shows.

Yeah live sports are the only thing I really miss. Listen to Met's games on the radio but I don't find other sports work well that way. Netflix & Prime take care of the rest of my needs along with the occasional free stream from a TV network website.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I cut the cord last summer. I just use Netflix along with some of the network websites.

I don't have to use a HD antenna where I live, just the cable. I have internet via Cox Cable; no TV package of any type. I'm able to get the network channels and a few other free local channels via cable (used a splitter). I think the technology is called QAM. If you get internet via cable and your cable company supports it, you just need a TV with a QAM tuner or a capture card (which I'm using).

My only alternative here to Verizon Fios (good but a ripoff) is Cox. How is their service? They offer 50mbs down/5mbs up for 50 a month plus router rental. Or 90/month for 50mbs plus low tier TV service (I still like having TV). Plus HD receiver rental.

Fuggit, I should really just do the internet only now. The only reason is to get away from Fios so I can sign back up for Fios. They do NOT give existing customers any deals, only new customers. I've been reading Slickdeals threads on Fios for a year now, and existing customers NEVER get a new customer deal. My package was 90/month 4 years ago, now it's 160/month for the same service. Fuck them.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Also cord cutters, consider alternative cell phone providers! You're cheap people already, you're likely being raked over the coals for what you get for cell service. I switched from Verizon to Page Plus this summer and never looked back. It's Verizon service area* plus 1200 minutes, 2500 texts, 3g 500 mb for $29/month. That's straight 29 bucks, no taxes, services fees, nothing. They have higher mb and 4g services available too for people that need more speed. I do not, there's so much free wifi available, and if you aren't streaming music or videos, 500mb a month is PLENTY.

Fuck cell providers too! They're making money hand over fist on you people!

*verizon's FULL nationwide coverage is not the same as its pay-as-you-go coverage, even for their own pay as you go cell phones. it's about 75%

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Been thinking about cutting my cable TV service as well and just going with internet service - maybe after the Superbowl. My bill with Concast is $160.00/mo and I only watch like a dozen channels with regularity. I'd be paying ohly $60.00/mo if I give up the cable T.V.

How much do all those other things like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc add up to though? Is it really that much cheaper if you're paying for all that other stuff?

i prefer the convenience; hulu, netlifx [w 1 blu-ray], amazon and the nhl run me about $55/month. there is way more on all of that than we can watch and it it was more convenient than cable or satellite.

hoping the nhl will put the playoffs on gamecenter this year but i dont expect it. they likely will eventually.

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I will just come out and say it despite perhaps the mods calling me out,there has to be more then a few who Torrent the newest good show episodes.Perhaps no one will say they do but it can be our little secret.;)

I just had to throw that out there,i do apologize for what may be advocating of pirating.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
why do people who "cut the cord" is something that they need to brag about as if it's some awesome and amazing thing?

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
I still watch some TV - Sunday nights from time to time; Simpsons, Brooklyn 99, Family Guy & Bob's Burgers. I was surprised to see how many app commercials there were, pretty much 1 per break.

But, I would never want to go back to paying over $120 for channels I just don't watch. I spend most of my time video gaming. And, there isn't anything on TV that is worth watching or following frankly.

I also have Prime, and there is enough on there to last me a while. Plus, I still have a back log of BluRay/DVDs.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
why do people who "cut the cord" is something that they need to brag about as if it's some awesome and amazing thing?

Haha, was wondering the same thing. :D

I need my live sports, so not killing my TV service anytime soon. I do pay for way more than I should though since I barely watch any actual shows.

KT

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
Cut it 2 months ago or so..Finally. Bill went from $180 to 66 and my life doesn't feel any worse off.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Because people as stupid as you are still paying an arm and a leg just so you can watch The Price is Right.

hmm ... so according to you, it's stupid to drop a service that you use a lot? i'd actually say it is really stupid to drop a service that you use a lot if it's something that is easily affordable.

if i "cut the cord" (which is a stupid ass term in it's own right) i would be missing out on probably 75% of the programming i watch on tv.

why would i cut out 75% of the tv i watch if i don't have to? i realize that you probably don't have time to watch tv because you work 80 hour weeks, but many of us aren't stupid and work the hours we get paid for, so we have a lot of free time to use entertaining ourselves.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Haha, was wondering the same thing. :D

I need my live sports, so not killing my TV service anytime soon. I do pay for way more than I should though since I barely watch any actual shows.

KT

i'd argue the people that brag about this were being idiots with their money up until they cut it. that basically means they were pissing away money for years on something they weren't even using.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
Cord Cutting is only good if you don't care about sports and all you watch is TV shows. I watch sports and I don't watch TV shows at all so cord cutting doesn't work for me since all there is to watch on Netflix and Hulu is shows.

Depends on the sport you watch. If your primary sport is the NFL, and your primary team is the local team, you get get a lot of content with an antenna. Also if your provider supports ESPN3 you can sometimes get the big local cable game by going through a proxy and making the system think you are in some other market.

Personally I am a fan of an out-of-market NFL team and SEC football so I have Directv with the sports package and Direct Ticket. But when I get past the locked in promo period with them I am going to start canceling my service in the football offseason.

Guurn

Dec 29, 2012
We cut the cord over a year ago and don't miss anything. I have an antennae connected to my computer and use WMP to record any network shows I need. Then I just plex to my tv on a Roku. We also subscribe to Netflix and have Amazon prime. Prime pays for itself in shipping savings. With the savings, which are very significant, we buy any seasons of shows we really want to see. We still save well over 1k a year.

Nov 8, 2012
hmm ... so according to you, it's stupid to drop a service that you use a lot? i'd actually say it is really stupid to drop a service that you use a lot if it's something that is easily affordable.

if i "cut the cord" (which is a stupid ass term in it's own right) i would be missing out on probably 75% of the programming i watch on tv.

why would i cut out 75% of the tv i watch if i don't have to? i realize that you probably don't have time to watch tv because you work 80 hour weeks, but many of us aren't stupid and work the hours we get paid for, so we have a lot of free time to use entertaining ourselves.

Jared from Subway used to eat a lot. Is that a service he shouldn't have stopped? Just because you use something doesn't dictate that it's worth its price in GOLD. Knowing how much people pay for cable packages, (Anywhere from $80 - $180). The only way you could use it enough to dictate that much waste is if you just sat on the couch all day every-day.

Which I guess I say... congrats?

WackyDan

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
All antennas are HD. There isn't a type of metal that gets SD and a different type that gets HD.

It all depends on your location. If you get a clear shot to the TV station, it comes in at perfect quality. If not, you'll struggle to get reception. I get about a dozen channels: ABC, CBS, NBC if I try hard to get reception (but some days it isn't possible), FOX, public stations, and crap stations that I would never watch.

My antenna in the office (upstairs) gets far, far better reception than in the living room downstairs. That is true even if I swap antennas. So, it is location, location, location. But, I just record it upstairs on my computer and use Wi-Fi to watch it downstairs usually.

If you can, put one up in the attic or outside. One of my biggest regrets when I had the ceiling torn out in my living room last year was not running a line to the attic for an antenna. I can still run one, but it will be far more work and not as clean.

CoPhotoGuy

Nov 16, 2014
How do cord cutters supplement non-premium cable channels like USA Networks, Food Network, TNT, etc.?

Getting rid of DirecTV soon. Going to do all netflix/prime and OTA.

How do you supplement those channels? Well I never watched them anyway.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000

It's not about bragging. It's a timely topic that's about to really take off....there are new ways to get your programs coming out all the time, nice to share ideas :)