Cut scenes in video games

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Does that image describe your feelings towards in-game cut scenes in general?

• Yes

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
MGS4 is when I stopped playing that craptastic series. I didn't even finish it, I think I stopped like half way. I should have stopped after part 2 sucked. I never played part 3 because part 2 blew, but I heard part 3 was actually very good. I only gave part 4 a chance because it was the first one on the new console at the time and graphics were unreal.

Jul 27, 2020
MGS4 is when I stopped playing that craptastic series. I didn't even finish it, I think I stopped like half way. I should have stopped after part 2 sucked. I never played part 3 because part 2 blew, but I heard part 3 was actually very good. I only gave part 4 a chance because it was the first one on the new console at the time and graphics were unreal.
Part 2 was bad but not unplayable bad.

MGS3 was great story (at least as far as MGS goes) but ugly low poly jungle graphics.

MGS4 was tarnished mainly coz of too long cutscenes. Otherwise, rest was decent.

MGS Ground Zeroes was GOOD. Felt like a different, somewhat harder MGS.

MGS Phantom Pain, never tried, despite paying full price at launch. Would have sucked too much time with base building and open world gameplay and besides, it's unfinished.

MGS Revengeance, couldn't get past the very first obstacle (a stupidly hard Metal Gear). Not made by Kojima.

MGS Survive, not made by Kojima so what's the point? A turd, judging from reviews.

Metal Gear Ghost Babel. Great gameplay, for a handheld game.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Imagine you want to sit down and relax by watching your favorite movie but now every few minutes the movie completely stops and forces you to solve a puzzle or do some other nonsense just for the movie to keep playing.
It's the same thing, if you want to play a game you do it because you want the action and not because you want to watch a movie with interactions.
Sure cut-scenes can improve the experience of gaming but most of the time they are just annoying, you can make up your own reasons and background stories for why you kill everything...

Reactions: KMFJD and BurnItDwn

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Imagine you want to sit down and relax by watching your favorite movie but now every few minutes the movie completely stops and forces you to solve a puzzle or do some other nonsense just for the movie to keep playing.
It's the same thing, if you want to play a game you do it because you want the action and not because you want to watch a movie with interactions.
Sure cut-scenes can improve the experience of gaming but most of the time they are just annoying, you can make up your own reasons and background stories for why you kill everything...
When is the last time you played a non Call of Duty game?

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
i hate cut scenes, i want to play a game, not watch a movie, the first time it really bothered me was ff7

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Cutscenes were great when the gulf between in game visuals and cutscene visuals was huge. Old Blizzard games were incredible with the quality of the cutscenes in stuff like Warcraft 1/2, Starcraft, Diablo 1/2, cut scenes were incredible and still are for the appropriate genre.

Other games like Third Person Games and FPS games, as graphics got better there was just less and less of a reason to take the player out of gameplay. Half-Life and Half-Life 2 were both great from this perspective, and modern games style of "one long take" where you don't even leave the character for a loading screen and such are huge improvements on the old cutscene format.

Reactions: igor_kavinski