Sep 1, 2012
System Specifications:

I. Processor/CPU:
MOBO: Asus M3A76-CM

AMD Athlon II x2 250.
socket AM3
previous owner overclocked it to ~3.4mHz

II. Current Graphics Card:
Geforce gts 250 (not sure of exact model, if someone can help)
Memory size 1024 Mb
Bus width 256 bits

III. Display Resolution:
1920x1080

IV. Power Supply Unit Specification (Brand, Wattage, Ampage, Age). If possible, please provide a link to a website containing the power supply specifications:

Not sure about brand, but it's 3-4 years old 450w

V. Case Specifications(N/A, Model, Length, Low Profile, Cooling, HTPC, Water, Silent):

Cyberpower Azza case. Not sure about model or size.
2 side fans, 1 front, 1 rear.

Purchase Details:

I. Budget? Please be sure to include currency (If not USD), retailer preferences & specify whether rebates are a viable option.

< 200 GPU (although considerably lower is preferred)
cpu - same ^

II. Any particular preferences (Manufacturer[nV or AMD], Brand[XFX, Sapphire, EVGA, etc], Cooling Solutions)?

No preference.

III. Do you plan to have any Multi-GPU solutions such as Crossfire or SLI?

Don't know much but have read a bit about dual gts 250's. Need help!

IV. Have you previously looked at a product(s) which you feel would fit your needs?

Not much.

V. What are your needs for this GPU? Which games(If any)do you intend to play? If you have this information at hand, what are the desired detail levels?

Playing guild wars 2 at the moment on low/medium settings. Would like to play most recent games on high/ med-high if possible.

VI. Do you plan on overclocking the card you intend to purchase?

Don't know much yet, but still learning and maybe.

Just got this computer for free, built by Cyberpower in 2009. A few questions! 1.Is the GTS 250 easy/worth it to overclock?
2.What's the deal with dual GTS 250 compared to replacing with a higher end card?
3.Would a higher end card be bottlenecked by my current CPU, and should I rush to upgrade the CPU now, or wait a few months. Also read about people OCing the x2 250 to ~3.7, how much of a difference would this make.
4. Also need to upgrade power supply with the GPU.
5. 4Mb DDR2. Does my Mobo support DDR3?
6.Was hoping I didn't need to upgrade my Mobo, and wanted to buy a higher end GPU now (even if bottlenecking), but with a certain CPU in mind for the future without having to replace the GPU again.

Looking for ANY advice on options for my computer. Was leaning towards not doing a full upgrade atm. But a bit desperate to upgrade the GPU.

THANKS GUYS

Last edited:

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
- Your motherboard doesn't support SLI, so 2 GTX 250's is out.
- Your CPU will be a bottleneck for a GPU only upgrade. Your system is actually set up pretty balanced the way it is. If it's too slow the way it is, overclocking probably won't help -- you'll only get maybe 15% better performance out of each the CPU and GPU.

- Your mobo doesn't support DDR3, but it's not likely you really need more than 4GB anyway.

Is your full budget $400 or $200?

eaglesbrah10

Sep 1, 2012
- Your motherboard doesn't support SLI, so 2 GTX 250's is out.
- Your CPU will be a bottleneck for a GPU only upgrade. Your system is actually set up pretty balanced the way it is. If it's too slow the way it is, overclocking probably won't help -- you'll only get maybe 15% better performance out of each the CPU and GPU.

- Your mobo doesn't support DDR3, but it's not likely you really need more than 4GB anyway.

Is your full budget $400 or $200?

$400 is good, but probably won't upgrade it all at the same time.
For example, a higher end card now, bottlenecked but thats ok as I can push out full use of my CPU. In the near future I'll get a new CPU that works well with the GPU. Basically pre-planned. Would prefer not to upgrade Mobo, and wondering if RAM upgrade is needed. I know that PSU upgrade is more than likely required. Will probably upgrade the rest before the end of the year.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
$400 is good, but probably won't upgrade it all at the same time.
For example, a higher end card now, bottlenecked but thats ok as I can push out full use of my CPU. In the near future I'll get a new CPU that works well with the GPU. Basically pre-planned. Would prefer not to upgrade Mobo, and wondering if RAM upgrade is needed. I know that PSU upgrade is more than likely required. Will probably upgrade the rest before the end of the year.

Get the CPU now. There's no telling when this will go out of stock and you'll have to go hunting for a used one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103727
It's $110 for the fastest CPU your mobo supports.

Set this video card to auto-notify and jump on it if it comes in stock at $219/$199 after rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814161404

$200 for a 7870 is a killer deal.

Last edited:

eaglesbrah10

Sep 1, 2012
Doing some reading, so far I like it. Do I need to upgrade the PSU now? or with the GPU? And how much of a performance upgrade would I get from just upgrading the CPU atm?

Thanks for your input!

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
I can't really say what kind of performance upgrade you'll see with just upgrading one component -- it depends on whether the game is CPU or GPU heavy. But considering that your CPU barely meets the minimum requirements for Guild Wars 2...
Going by Tom's benchmark, a 3GHz dual-core Llano (which is the equivalent of an Athlon II) is quite hampered in the game.

Tom's has a retarded selection of GPUs (DDR3 6670? GT 440?) so it's rather hard to say where your GTS 250 would fit in, but it's quite likely that you are CPU limited in that game.

As for the PSU, you're probably fine.

Last edited:

eaglesbrah10

Sep 1, 2012
Apparently there's a C2, and a C3 version of the 965 BE and the C3 is better for OCing? Is the one you linked me the C3? Aware me please :D

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Apparently there's a C2, and a C3 version of the 965 BE and the C3 is better for OCing? Is the one you linked me the C3? Aware me please :D

Looks like it.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/phenom-ii-x4-965-be-revision-c3-review-test/
This new SKU can be found located under product code HDZ965FBK4DGM, with the M indicating the new C3 revision.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/A... Edition - HDZ965FBK4DGM (HDZ965FBGMBOX).html

CPU part numbers
HDZ965FBK4DGM is an OEM/tray microprocessor
HDZ965FBGMBOX is a boxed microprocessor

Core stepping C3

Last edited:

eaglesbrah10

Sep 1, 2012
Thanks! Just purchased but I opted for local pickup since I live fairly close to the warehouse. Too bad it's a long weekend, can't wait to install it!