Custom Resolutions And ATi

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Hey, I managed to revive my friends 8800GT using the bake method. I forgot how much I missed being able to set custom resolutions since I'm stuck on ATi drivers:

capturepq.png

Is there anyway to get this in depth with ATi drivers? I haven't found a way yet

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Isn't it in the 'Display manager' section of the CCC?

If not, the 'Refresh lock' section of ATI Tray tools does this as per Tweakguides.

Ben90

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
No those don't work. In order for either of those to do anything, you have to make a custom DALNonStandardModesBCD in the registry. Using this, the only thing you can change is resolution and refresh rate.

Also, unlike the Nvidia drivers, these are not "forced resolutions" per say but more of a "Hey monitor/video card driver, do you want to run this?". Anything that is not what the monitor/driver accepts will not be selectable while the Nvidia method will actually let you overclock your monitor.

As it is now, I'm making a decision between the 8800GT 512 and a 4890. While the 4890 has undoubtedly more power, the 8800GT will actually put out more frames per second in situations where I am not video card bound. Before Starcraft II, I would have picked the 8800GT hands down, but I am not sure if the card will be able to keep up in extreme situations. Unfortunately I am unable to find a benchmark showing the two competing at low settings, so I will have to figure out how to bench it myself.
My gut feeling is that the game will be heavily CPU bound in basically every situation which would basically mean the 8800 would "perform" greater than or equal to the 4890.

If I'm a complete idiot, and I missed that ATT/CCC does offer forced resolutions with being able to change things like the front porch, please point it out as then I can have the best of both worlds.

Last edited: