Question "Custom" GPUs - yes, I mean that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now that GPUs are getting SO expensive ($1000+), shouldn't WE, the customers, get a say in their production?

You can get "custom" m&ms, why not GPU?

Let the side RGB nameplate, be white/colored RGB, with black printing over it, so you can say what you want, in shadow relief.

Or be able to upload a small image, to use as a sticker on the center of the fans.

What else could be customized? The BIOS / splash-screen?

What do you think, good / bad idea? Would custom GPUs help or hinder re-sale?

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I would like mine with HID headlights rather then LEDs, and a rear spoiler. Looking two tone color scheme, with anti-lock slot retention, the electromagnetic protection sleeve, and emergency drop airbags.

Can I get an extended 100,000 fan rotation warranty with that?

Reactions: GrumpyMan

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I would like mine with HID headlights rather then LEDs, and a rear spoiler. Looking two tone color scheme, with anti-lock slot retention, the electromagnetic protection sleeve, and emergency drop airbags.

Can I get an extended 100,000 fan rotation warranty with that?

Isn't that like 100 mins of operation? xD

Reactions: Leeea

Frenetic Pony

May 1, 2012
I mean... sure. Heck it's a great idea, if there was any way to actually tell the right person at AIBs they'd try this immediately. Heck tweet at them, the person that runs the twitter might say something to the right person above them.

Totally serious. AIBs get terrible profit margins, a chance to charge luxury pricing for a service like this, looks something like Microsoft's build your own controller (colors) or whatever, anyone smart at an AIB would jump at it in a second. Paint or 3d Print casing parts, custom laser engraving, whatever, if they can charge an extra $100-$200, which they probably could, they'd be happy too.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Let the side RGB nameplate, be white/colored RGB, with black printing over it, so you can say what you want, in shadow relief.

Or be able to upload a small image, to use as a sticker on the center of the fans.

What else could be customized? The BIOS / splash-screen?

I am disappoint. I thought you meant Custom GPUs as in being able to customize amount of shader count, VRAM capacity and speed, clock frequency, functional blocks and even the brand of capacitors on the board.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That makes zero sense. No one is going to change their production line and supply chain for this. They can't charge enough to cover the cost.

Reactions: Dannar26

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
My, my, you dream big! :D

- Why not dream bigger! With chiplet GPU designs coming down the pipe, why not custom design your own SOC! For the sake of throwing in a car analogy, it would be like custom ordering an F150 with your own trim and engine options!

Personally I'd take 2 Zen 4 CCX + IO Die (looking at a 16/32 processor here), a Navi 31 die and associated MCD complexes, 24GB of HBM3 and have it all slapped together on one simple drop in package.

Cooling and power delivery might be a pain, but where there is a will there is a way...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I dreamed of when the GPU was something completely modular.
Want more GDDR? get it like PC Ram.
Upgrade your Cores, swap it like a CPU.
Something Broken? Replace that part only, and not have to get a entirely new GPU.

Want a blingy as heck mainboard.... you can get the super FTW9 ROG AOURUS SUPREME-X combo dreams are made out of.

But no, GPU are like Apple.... can't service them, and when your Warranty expires your SOL.
Oh wait i think thats why they are going upwards of 1000 dollars now... they must of learned you can do it from apple.

Last edited: