Custom Domain but MX managed on ISP ... possible?

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to workout this solution:

I have a domain name, say "@mydomain.com", in a specific registrar. There I can manage the domain at will, like setting MX records or define other NS IPs.

All well then.

I would like to change my ISP, and I'll lose my email box on my current one, "something@currentisp.com". Since I don't want to go through changing email again (except this last time), I want to put my domain to a good use.

So I see 2 possible solutions:

1# Define MX record, pointing to a linux server managed by me. Also configure a MX backup service just so that no email is lost.

This would be a good option, but I would have to pay for a backup MX service, and manage my server.

2# Pointing the MX record to my ISP, so that the emails are delivered in their servers, and I don't have to worry about it.

Don't know if I can just do this, or if I have to completly change the NS addresses to my ISP NS servers, and manage the MX records from there.

If I point the NS, then the other records (A, CNAME, ...) must also be completly managed on ISP side, right?

This would be a better alternative, since I don't have to worry about emails arriving nor MX record backup service, but is this possible?

Thanks

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
You can point your MX records anywhere you want.

Look at gmail for domains. Might fit exactly the bill you want, and it's free.

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Yes! Google Apps is awesome and free.

Thirded - I use Google Apps for my email domain and it works great. You don't even have to use the Gmail web interface if you don't want to, I use Thunderbird and IMAP.

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Thanks for the replies.

I've seen google apps for a while, but in this case I want to create an email that will receive sensitive data, and I'm not completely sure that gmail would be a place to put that info into.

You will probably ask back something like: "do you think your ISP is safer?" ... :)

The safest route would be to have my own server 24/7 ... then the mail backup service would be there "just-in-case" I have my server temporarily down.

My ISP should be much more "private", as I'll have a contract and local laws that protect my privacy. Or so it's supposed to be like that ...

If I point my MX record to somewhere in my ISP, my ISP must provide a way of configure the domain MX record? Or how is it supposed to link between "my.email@mydomain.com" and a local email account?

Thanks

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Someone sends to user@domain.com
It looks up @domain.com to see what ns servers are listed for it, for example ns1.domain.com = 1.2.3.4
It then asks ns1.domain.com @ ip 1.2.3.4 what the mx record is for the domain
Once it has this it directs its attention to the mail server where it says "put this in users box @domain.com" and your server is responsible for the info before the @

?????
profit?

As far as your isp setting your mx record, shouldnt be necessary. Most registrars ive dealt with will host dns for you so you can create mx records, PTR records etc right from the web interface

Last edited:

b4u

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2002
Someone sends to user@domain.com
It looks up @domain.com to see what ns servers are listed for it, for example ns1.domain.com = 1.2.3.4
It then asks ns1.domain.com @ ip 1.2.3.4 what the mx record is for the domain
Once it has this it directs its attention to the mail server where it says "put this in users box @domain.com" and your server is responsible for the info before the @

?????
profit?

As far as your isp setting your mx record, shouldnt be necessary. Most registrars ive dealt with will host dns for you so you can create mx records, PTR records etc right from the web interface

Yes, I can manage all records on my registrar, and point MX to wherever I want to.

So the question here is if my ISP can manage the @domain.com directed at them and store messages on the appropriate inbox, right? That must be something manageable on my ISP side, correct?

Thanks

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Yes, I can manage all records on my registrar, and point MX to wherever I want to.

So the question here is if my ISP can manage the @domain.com directed at them and store messages on the appropriate inbox, right? That must be something manageable on my ISP side, correct?

Thanks

The service provider just needs to know what the domain is. It doesn't actually need to control the domain.

If the service provider has your domain configured, and you point your MX records to it, it will deliver mail to that domain.

It's really not that difficult.