Cursive in foreign languages...

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
I was curious if other languages besides the romance languages also had a cursive derivative. I'm sure many people on this board speak several languages :) Do you have anything similiar? Or is our system just a pain in the ass?

Dec 28, 2001
I write korean, and there's no cursive in korean . . . even "fvck" doesn't directly translate . . ..

;) Seriously, there's no cursive in Korean.

grrl

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
English and German are Germanic, not Romance languages.

Also languages like Arabic, Khmer and Thai only use what are called cursive scripts.

oLLie

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2001
I thought the thread said "Cursing in foreign languages..."

Looks like I wasn't the only one either (unless Jehovah's sarcasm generator is busted).

toekramp

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: grrl
English and German are Germanic, not Romance languages.

Also languages like Arabic, Khmer and Thai only use what are called cursive scripts.

pwned.

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
I prefer the Merovingian's line from reloaded:

Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d?enculés de ta mère

:p

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Technically Japanese has a type of "cursive" but not in the same sence. Actually, it would be closer to calligraphy. There are three or four kinds depending on who you ask -- kaisho/shinsho, gyousho, sousho, and optionally kana, which is a more elegant extension of sousho.

It borders between writing style and art form, as the quality of the brush strokes and the presentation of the characters hold deep meaning.

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by: gopunk
chinese does

I don't think this is technically true. (not claiming to be an expert) but Chinese has simplified characters but cursive strictly means a one for one substitution of printed (separate stroke) alphabetic characters with linked, single stroke characters.

I'm not aware of any alphabets other than the western (Roman) alphabet having defined cursive characters, but there well may. There are gray areas. For example, although Korean has an alphabet and no provision for linking (characters are grouped in syllables and sometimes are placed vertically instead of side by side) but Koreans have stylized ways to write them that makes handwriting quicker (and relatively unreadable to non-Koreans). This is not truly cursive.