• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Current-Gen GPUs, that use a single 6-pin power connector, rather than 8-pin, or 8+6 or 8+8?

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thinking of my friend, whom just let me know that his GPU has failing fans. (He called them "warped".) I believe that box is a Sandy quad with a GTX 1050 2GB dual-fan Asus model.

I also, within the last year or so, gave him my "HP Power Gaming PC", the one with the i5-7400, GTX 1060 3GB OEM, for his kids, and a slightly-problematic 1440P LCD I picked up cheap "seller refurbished" on ebay for like around $100. Works most of the time, anyways.

So, I think that the HP Gaming PC, has a 300W or 350W PSU, with dual 6-pin PCI-E power connectors. Yet, most cards these days, come with the 8-pin. I know that there are adapters, and I could probably find a dual 6-pin PCI-E to 6+2-pin PCI-E adapter on Newegg, as well as a 6-pin PCI-E to dual 6+2-pin PCI-E adapters.

I think that the PSU is a standard ATX size, so it could probably be replaced easily enough.

But I was thinking, something around an RX 580 8GB, or GTX 1660 / Super / Ti, that used a single 6-pin, might be ideal for his situation. At least, something better than the cheapo OEM GTX 1060 3GB.

I know that there is at least one MSI RX 580 (I think 8GB?) card, that is PCI-E x8 rather than x16 (for some reason), and is also utilizing only a single 6-pin PCI-E power connector.

I know that he prefers NVidia, and I would personally like to find a GTX 1660-family card with a single 6-pin connector. Does anyone know of any, or have any suggestions? Thanks!

Edit: Wouldn't you figure, after going to Newegg, selecting Desktop GPUs, and then selecting GeForce 16-Series, there's no drill-down for supplemental power connector, not under Power Search either. Sigh. Have to break out the might Google, I guess, and brute-search Newegg's listings that way, using keywords.

Edit: That was a bust too. Seems like the highest NVidia GTX cards that still have a 6-pin, are GTX 1650 Super cards. No GTX 1660 / Super / Ti cards that I could find with only a 6-pin and not an 8-pin.

So, it looks like a toss-up between that MSI RX 580 8GB card, or a GTX 1650 Super? Which would perform better? Especially on Blizzard games? (I tend to think NV might be better there.)

Edit: Are there any GTX 1070 or 1070 ti cards, that use TWO 6-pin, rather than an 8-pin?

Last edited:

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
Since he prefers Nvidia and it's going to have lower power usage that is the route I would go. The 1650 super should be a good card as it performs relatively close to a regular 1660. (Just make sure you get the super version as 1650 is a dud in my eyes) That processor isn't going to like a much faster GPU anyway without hyperthreading. It's more of issue of not having hyperthreading than straight up Bottlenecking. And this does matter even at 1440p.

Without looking it up Nvidia usually always performs better on Blizzard games

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Without looking it up Nvidia usually always performs better on Blizzard games
That's what I thought that I remembered.

So, basically, this friend has two primary PCs, his Sandy quad (for him), with a 2GB GTX 1050 GDDR5 w/failing fans. And an i5-7400 w/GTX 1060 3GB OEM that I gave him for his kids, with a 1440P monitor.

I talked with him last night, he doesn't want me to get a card for him. The whole PSU and 6-pin thing, I was trying to recall if his GTX 1050 2GB card used a 6-pin, and I know that the other HP Gaming PC w/i5-7400 and GTX 1060 3GB uses a single 6-pin, and the PSU in that PC has two 6-pin connectors.

So I was kind of thinking that if I got him a card with a 6-pin, he could at least use it in the HP Gaming PC, without changing out the PSU, and possibly in his main PC.

I asked him about PCI-E supplemental cables on his PSU. He was like, "PSU? PCI-E? I don't speak those things, bro." Oh well.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
Edit: Are there any GTX 1070 or 1070 ti cards, that use TWO 6-pin, rather than an 8-pin?
Either 1x8 pin or 1x8 pin + 1x6/8 pin, but you can use a molex adapter for that, if 12V line is decent enough.

Blizzard games definitely favor NV hardware and Intel processors. I'd get a used 1070.

ASK THE COMMUNITY