Current city/town you live in

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
It seems like most people think the current city/town they live in is better than all others, until they move then that city is better.

So ATOT, how would you rate your current city? I can certainly say this is the best 'city' I've ever lived in. Since moving 8 years ago, it has grown tremendously and I bet will eventually be the largest city in the state.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Moved from Chicago, IL to Chillicothe, OH.

Ive lived in 17 cities in my life, including foreign nations.

This is by far the worst place i have ever called home.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Ahaha 1 post to dominate my theory

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Vegas (moved from Tucson,AZ) - Great place to visit - stay for more than 1-2 years and you have got to be kidding...

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: Acanthus

Ahaha 1 post to dominate my theory

It's unfair to compare Chicago to any other city though ;)

I plan to return there after i graduate.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Erie.

I've never lived in a city before, and I'm really just in the outskirts.
The idea of city life does not appeal to me. Too many people in close proximity.

Places before:
A place in Fogelsville, a small town in a rural area. Lived there until I was 4.

5 miles outside of Kempton, another small town, consisting mainly of a feed mill, a school, and a post office. This place was 10 miles away from the previous house. Lived there until I came to Erie for college, which was......I think I was 23? Don't remember exactly.

It's reasonably ok here though; I like being just two miles from stores, and I've got my own place. But I don't like the traffic; back home, there were around 100 cars a day - 50 in the morning, then 50 at night, plus maybe a delivery truck. Here, there are lots of annoying dicks with excessively loud stereos who drive by at any time of day or night, or park right outside my livingroom window while they go around to the front of the building to the store. Sunday night, I think it was 3:43am when someone went past. And there are people with really loud motorcycles, and cars with fartpipes, who love to gun their engines at the intersection.

Feb 6, 2007
I've lived in Portland virtually my whole life, minus a brief stint in Springfield, MA. Portland is a billion times better.

Megatomic

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I don't live in a city, but the city I do call home (Virginia Beach) is the best city I ever lived in. Orlando in the late 80s is a close second.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've lived in 6 different suburbs in the chicago area in my life ...

Wauconda, IL ... this is where I currently live, I bought a house here in 2007. I LOVE this town and if I move in the future, it would only be to upgrade to get a bigger property that has a garage. It has a much more "rural" feel to it than any of the places I'd ever lived before. There are lots of parks and trees. There is a decent sized lake next to the town. I really love it here.

Wheeling, IL ... Lived there for a couple of years in high school, and a couple of years after college. This is probably the second best town I've lived in.

Dekalb, IL ... Lived there 2 years whilst in college. There was always a party going on, but the town was economically depressed

Des Plaines, IL ... Lived there from when I was 4 until 16, it wasn't a "bad" city, but I didn't really like it there.

Streamwood, IL ... Lived there for 3 years before I bought my house in Wauconda. I lived in a shithole part of town. Not a good place to live.

Glen Ellyn, IL ... Don't reallly remember it, we moved when I was only 4.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

It was fine for a while, but now I hate it. Noisy, dirty, crowded, too much violence, too many assholes, and SEPTA sucks.

If I actually had a choice, I would move to the suburbs in an instant.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Ranking of places I've lived (at ages old enough to appreciate them).

Denver, CO > Milwaukee, WI > Eau Claire, WI >> Orlando, FL >>>>>Detroit, MI > Vero Beach, FL

- To be honest, Denver and Milwaukee are almost equal to me. Denver needs some real water bodies and Milwaukee needs mountains.
- Eau Claire is nice and calm, but not a totally dead town, and the area is beautiful up there.
- Orlando has absolutely tons of interesting stuff to do/see...but it's all expensive and I hate the heat.
- I always found Detroit and southeast Michigan, in general, to be ugly and depressing. (I absolutely love the UP and Traverse Bay areas).
- The beach was nice in Vero Beach, but the wife and I got real tired of having otherwise nothing to do and being about 40 or 50 years younger than the average age. There was a lot of trash around there too. And again, I hated the heat.

onlyCOpunk

Platinum Member
May 25, 2003
Sydney, the quality of life here is much greater then anything I've ever found in the States.

The only place that might rival the quality of life is New Zealand, but there's not enough going on there to keep me entertained.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I have lived in Cocoa Beach FL for most of my life, then Cincinnati, Washington DC, and now Seattle. I love Cocoa Beach and Seattle, but if the job markets were the same, I would prefer back home in FL.

Sasiki

Oct 18, 2004
Loxley, AL. I like it here. I have lived in 2 other cities, one with population 4,000 and the other with 16,000 people. In Loxley, we are 1 block from the park and mom/pop grocery store. There are 1600 people within the city limits. I also work in the town, so I have a very short commute. It is within 30 minutes of 2 major cities and 10 minutes to a mall, 2 walmarts, and 1 target, 30 minutes from the beach, and the winters are fairly mild.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
not as good as the town where I went to college (small college town in the middle of nowhere), but better than the place I moved to immediately following graduation (city-esque suburb... all the cons of a city with none of the benefits)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Order of cities where i have lived, and ranking in brackets

Los Angeles (3)
Auckland, New Zealand (2)
Sydney, Australia (1)
Auckland
Las Vegas (4)

Las Vegas is a complete shithole. By far the worst. Even LA is better. I hate inland cities. I'm back in Auckland at the moment - but my home is still based in Las Vegas.

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
most boring place, looks like no one is around
but its safe and a rich place

my old area was more fun to do stuff

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I live in a town of 300 people. until recently it was great. seemed like everyone in town was nice and amazing.

recently we had the neighbors from hell move in. but heck everyone in town is still great. had a guy come by today and give us cookies (he loves to bake and reallyd arn good at it)

theblackbox

Golden Member
Oct 1, 2004
Here is a list of the places i lived. Some more then others. I rated them on a 1-10 scale. I would not change where i live now for anything.(florissant, co.) it has it all and more.

Dallas, TX 3
Garland, TX 2
Columbus, GA 4
Fayetteville, NC 6
Ft. Lee, VA- somewhere between Blandford and Hopewell (the names say it all) .05
Sparta, WI- Yeah good luck finding that hole in the wall. 8 - madison an lacrosse aren't too far away!!!
Arlington, TX 3
Atlanta, GA 1
Douglasville, GA 2 (it's not atlanta +1)
Isle of Palms, SC 7
Lynchburg, VA 8 until they closed circuit city.
Anaheim, CA 5 -living two miles from a fryes was nice
Florissant, CO 10

EMPshockwave82

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2003
Salem, IL (birth to age 18)
Charleston, IL (EIU) ( 18 - 24)
Omaha, NE (24-25)
Streamwood, IL (26)

Currently my list would be

Omaha >> Streamwood >> Charleston >> Salem

I've only lived in Streamwood for about 2 months now and lived in Omaha for nearly 2 years so this is a little biased. However, I am 99% positive that time will not change my opinion.

In Omaha I lived in the Old Market area and it was incredible. 10 minute walk to nearly everything you could possibly need. Very little reason to drive. The first 2 months I lived there I put less than 200 miles on my car. If I had a chance to move back to Omaha and keep my current job and pay I would do it (pay being a big reason that I left my job I had in Omaha).

Away

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
San Diego (1977-1987)
Denver (1987-Present)

Both cities are beautiful and I don't favor one over the other. I am a fan of the Chargers and Padres though, so I guess I'm biased in that regard.