Current 4850 produces a litle heat.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tvdang7

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2005
after playing like 2 hours of wc3 my room was pretty hot so i went to go turn on the ac and it was already on. gets ever hotter when playing cod4 or so

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
My Q9450 + HD4850 can increase the ambient temps around my desk a maximum of 8 degrees F after hours of the most stressful game play if there is no air circulation in my my room.

That being said, swapping out a video card probably wouldn't help as much as alternative solutions such as getting a far more efficient PSU (80+), especially if you've skimped on this part in the past. Downgrading to a dualcore from a quadcore and/or going for a low voltage option (costs more) and/or manually undervolting/underclocking would certainly help reduce the amount of heat produced by the CPU. Replacing the 4850 with a 4770 would be another option as someone mentioned. Perhaps reducing/consolidating hard drives if possible. Although a combination of all of the above would certainly be the best overall solution.

Originally posted by: Patrick Wolf
Originally posted by: Phynaz
Might be too dusty in your case. Clean it out. And use some electronic parts cleaner on the GPU. It's cool stuff, sprays out in liquid form, dries very quickly. Highly flammable. You can drench your parts with it. It helped my 9800 GX2's temps noticeably.

And add some more fans to blow directly on the GPU/CPU if possible.

All the above will make his room warmer, not cooler.

Ok, so he should take out his fans and pour dust into the case?

The idea is to reduce the amount of heat the system generates, not trap it all inside because the warm air will still enter the room reguardless.

If there's enough dust on the components they will run hotter than normal, thus increasing the total heat the system generates. More intake fans will help cool the components. Though more exhaust fans would probably not be beneficial.

Also if any direct sunlight shines through any windows you may have, blackout curtains will help block the light that heats the air in the room.

And if your room gets humid, a dehumidifier would make it seem cooler in your room. But they're usually noisy.

Think for a second...when the heat is evacuated from inside the computer, where does it go? Into the room...

Making the computer more efficient at moving heat doesn't make it produces less heat. The only way to do that is to upgrade its parts that either consume less electricity and/or are more efficient with the electricity they use.

Bingo, Patrickwolf...when identical parts run cooler its because they are dissipating their heat better to the outside world.

You're both missing the point. You can reduce the amount of heat your components inherently generate by increasing cool air intake (keeping outtake the same) and keeping them clear of dust. Results will vary and are usually minimal though, best to change components and/or improve room conditions.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
My Q9450 + HD4850 can increase the ambient temps around my desk a maximum of 8 degrees F after hours of the most stressful game play if there is no air circulation in my my room.

That being said, swapping out a video card probably wouldn't help as much as alternative solutions such as getting a far more efficient PSU (80+), especially if you've skimped on this part in the past. Downgrading to a dualcore from a quadcore and/or going for a low voltage option (costs more) and/or manually undervolting/underclocking would certainly help reduce the amount of heat produced by the CPU. Replacing the 4850 with a 4770 would be another option as someone mentioned. Perhaps reducing/consolidating hard drives if possible. Although a combination of all of the above would certainly be the best overall solution.

Originally posted by: Phynaz
Might be too dusty in your case. Clean it out. And use some electronic parts cleaner on the GPU. It's cool stuff, sprays out in liquid form, dries very quickly. Highly flammable. You can drench your parts with it. It helped my 9800 GX2's temps noticeably.

And add some more fans to blow directly on the GPU/CPU if possible.

All the above will make his room warmer, not cooler.

Ok, so he should take out his fans and pour dust into the case?

The idea is to reduce the amount of heat the system generates, not trap it all inside because the warm air will still enter the room reguardless.

If there's enough dust on the components they will run hotter than normal, thus increasing the total heat the system generates. More intake fans will help cool the components. Though more exhaust fans would probably not be beneficial.

Also if any direct sunlight shines through any windows you may have, blackout curtains will help block the light that heats the air in the room.

And if your room gets humid, a dehumidifier would make it seem cooler in your room. But they're usually noisy.

Think for a second...when the heat is evacuated from inside the computer, where does it go? Into the room...

Making the computer more efficient at moving heat doesn't make it produces less heat. The only way to do that is to upgrade its parts that either consume less electricity and/or are more efficient with the electricity they use.

Bingo, Patrickwolf...when identical parts run cooler its because they are dissipating their heat better to the outside world.

You're both missing the point. You can reduce the amount of heat your components inherently generate by increasing cool air intake (keeping outtake the same) and keeping them clear of dust. Results will vary and are usually minimal though, best to change components and/or improve room conditions.

:confused: Patrick Wolf are you suggesting that if you blow more cold air over a part that it releases less heat?

A part will produce a fairly constant amount of heat...lets call it T. This heat will either go into the air or be "stored" on the heatsink and in the chip itself. If you increase cold air intake the output air will be the intake temperature plus some amount of T depending on how efficient the conduction of the heatsink is.

Either way, the same amount of heat is released. In fact, the better your air cooling, the quicker the heat is released into the room...increasing its temperature.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005

:confused: Patrick Wolf are you suggesting that if you blow more cold air over a part that it releases less heat?

A part will produce a fairly constant amount of heat...lets call it T. This heat will either go into the air or be "stored" on the heatsink and in the chip itself. If you increase cold air intake the output air will be the intake temperature plus some amount of T depending on how efficient the conduction of the heatsink is.

Either way, the same amount of heat is released. In fact, the better your air cooling, the quicker the heat is released into the room...increasing its temperature.

True. But no that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that lowering the air temp inside the case with more intake will lower the temp of the air that's currently being exhausted. Course one could agrue that the difference would be nill as you would also be pulling more cool air from the room.

PurdueRy

Lifer
Nov 12, 2004

True. But no that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm suggesting that lowering the air temp inside the case with more intake will lower the temp of the air that's currently being exhausted. Course one could agrue that the difference would be nill as you would also be pulling more cool air from the room.

Doesn't matter if you lower the air temp inside the case more(with the same hardware). The same amount of heat is still being put into the air. The room will still be at the same temperature.