Cup Noodle or Instant Lunch??

enwar3

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
Is there any real difference between Maruchan Instant Lunch and Nissin Cup Noodles? They're both foam-cup, add hot water noodles. And now that I'm a college kid (without a kitchen) I'm looking for some snacky noodle type foods. Which one should I buy?

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Yes, in my opinion, Top Raman is the worst because it is always soggy no matter what. Maruchan is a step better, but still not that great. If you can step it up to Sapporo, the quality is much better (albeit in normal raman form). Further, Nong Shim from korea makes some nice raman (the Shin can be found in foam bowl or cup form, perhaps the kim chi as well) However, the latter is easily 1$ to 1.33$ each. Is it worth it? It is every so often to mix it up and give you some nicer noodles.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Maruchan > Nissan when it comes to cup-o-noodles.

Go to an asian grocery store and buy some that are in the price range of 45-85cents per pack, instead of the Top Ramen crap.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: enwar3
Is there any real difference between Maruchan Instant Lunch and Nissin Cup Noodles? They're both foam-cup, add hot water noodles. And now that I'm a college kid (without a kitchen) I'm looking for some snacky noodle type foods. Which one should I buy?

Buy the packaged udon noodles that are $1 a pack. Infinitely better.

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Go to an asian supermarket and get those cup noodles. Much higher variety and better quality noodle/sauce. The ones you'd be able to buy at a local US supermarket are really bad in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2006
Originally posted by: RichieZ
want to die from sodium posioning?

Rather die with a stomach full of salt and Ramen than die with nothing at all.

Take it from me, buy Shin Ramen in bulk. Go the an Asian supermarket and get like 5 of those boxes. They'll last for a long time.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: RichieZ
want to die from sodium posioning?

As long as you don't drink the soup part, it's fine.

OP, I get Simply Asia rice noodle soup bowls... 100% better than the foam cup ones. Shiitake mushroom is my favorite so far.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
There is a Chinese brand of ramen that isn't fried, and it has a small fraction of the fat. If you can find it, I recommend eating that...

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I'd stick with maruchan since its cheaper. If you want more flavor without simply not adding as much water, try some spice or just put in a bullion cube.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Maruchan is the best of the readily available noodles. My fave recipe:

pinch of chopped scallions
fistful of shredded cabbage
hoison
mayo
mustard
ramen

1. start the water boiling
2. put half the flavor packet on the bottom of the bowl, put the ramen on top of that, put the veggies on top of that
3. pour the boiling water on top of ramen and let cook until al dente
4. drain cooking water
5. add in just enough equal parts mayo/mustard/hoison to coat the noodles and stir it all together. the sauce should coat the noodles evenly.

YUM

Mo0o

Lifer
Jul 31, 2001
Originally posted by: sonambulo

hoison
mayo
mustard

ramen

2. put half the flavor packet on the bottom of the bowl, put the ramen on top of that, put the veggies on top of that
4. drain cooking water
5. add in just enough equal parts mayo/mustard/hoison to coat the noodles and stir it all together. the sauce should coat the noodles evenly.

YUM

w..t..f..

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003

hoison
mayo
mustard
ramen

4. drain cooking water

YUM

problem is he doesn't have a range. He has to stick to the bowl/cup variety which is very limiting!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Excelsior
Further, Nong Shim from korea makes some nice raman (the Shin can be found in foam bowl or cup form).

Ohh yes. I love me some Nong Shim.

yeap. the stuff is great. i get hte bowls every now and then. throw some steak or chicken in it and its a good meal.

sonambulo

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2004
Originally posted by: Tiamat

problem is he doesn't have a range. He has to stick to the bowl/cup variety which is very limiting!

That blows. There's a japanese version of this you can buy prepackaged. Comes with all the little packets too. Problem is it's like a buck a pop. For 10 bucks I can make this meal about 50 times.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Mo0o

hoison
mayo
mustard

ramen

4. drain cooking water

YUM

w..t..f..

DITTO.. who has a fistful of shredded cabbage lying around?

SampSon

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
You're in college, get whatever is cheapest because it's all garbage anyway.
Some of thoes asian market noodle bowls can be better, but it's splitting hairs.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiamat

hoison
mayo
mustard
ramen

4. drain cooking water

YUM

Does he have a microwave? You can definitely boil water in a microwave!

warmodder

Nov 1, 2007
I like those soup to go cup by Cambells. I think they're expensive (1.25), but they taste really good and you can carry 'em around if you need a quick meal on the go. I also made alot of Uncle Ben's instant rice packets. Add a little soy sauce and you're good to go.

Raman is fairly boring imo. I couldn't eat it with any sort of consistency.