Culture of corruption strikes again

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Looks like the democrat mayor of Baltimore has been indicted on multiple counts of fraud, bribery, and theft: http://www.google.com/hostedne...O958tqdH2_EjwD95L8B0O2

So whats the count up to now?

Barney Frank - under investigation for tax fraud
Chris Dodd - under investigation for mortgage deals
William Jefferson - bribery/corruption
Sheila Dixon - theft/fraud
The senator that replaced Mark Foley (can't remember his name) - blackmail/corruption
Blagoyovich - corruption
Harry Reid - corruption/land deals
Feinstein - corruption (giving multi-billion dollar government contracts to her husband's firm)
Bill Richardson - corruption

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more, those are just the recent ones.

What is it about the Democrat party that thinks being in government they are entitled to other people's money? No wonder Blago wanted a million bucks for the senate seat appointment.

Thank you for participating in the forums, but this topic is already in progress here.
-Schadenfroh (AT Mod)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
QuantumPion is vastly overstating, many on his list are only imaginary involved, and its extremely unlikely that any other than Jefferson, Blagojevich, and the mayor of Baltimore will ever be formally charged. And for what its worth, Mark Foley was not a Senator, and his democratic successor is more mired in a heterosexual sex scandal rather than corruption. And he did not get re-elected.

Of course, I could come up with a far larger list of Republicans, either under more serious suspicion of criminal wrong doing or already in jail for corruption, but I do not believe a few isolated individuals proves an entire political party is corrupt.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Is this "Culture of Corruption" the new sound bite for Right Wing Talk Radio?

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Originally posted by: Red Dawn

I don't know if it is or isn't, but it certainly seems to be true. What are the chances that Obama WON'T face some sort of scandal like this during his Presidency? I'm not sure there is a clean democrat out there.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

No, it's taking your side's soundbite and turning back on you. YOUR side was elected under that banner in 06 and into 08 and yet it seems now we see story after story about their own corruption.

BTW, this is a repost isn't it?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Fear No Evil

I don't know if it is or isn't, but it certainly seems to be true. What are the chances that Obama WON'T face some sort of scandal like this during his Presidency? I'm not sure there is a clean democrat out there.

its not just deocrats. i don't trust any politician. decocrat or republican.

Nov 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law
QuantumPion is vastly overstating, many on his list are only imaginary involved, and its extremely unlikely that any other than Jefferson, Blagojevich, and the mayor of Baltimore will ever be formally charged. And for what its worth, Mark Foley was not a Senator, and his democratic successor is more mired in a heterosexual sex scandal rather than corruption. And he did not get re-elected.

Of course, I could come up with a far larger list of Republicans, either under more serious suspicion of criminal wrong doing or already in jail for corruption, but I do not believe a few isolated individuals proves an entire political party is corrupt.
Let me clue you two (QuantumPion and LemonLaw) in on a little secret...shit stinks. You love to lambaste your rival Party for any and all perceived transgressions no matter how trivial...then and at every turn you defend your own Party and tell us they're not so bad. LOL...you're both such partisan hacks...have you no shame?

To believe the members of one Party are morally superior (in any way, shape or form) to the other is a LIE. Will the circle be unbroken?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: QuantumPion
What is it about the Democrat party that thinks being in government they are entitled to other people's money?

Wow, nice way to only show one side of the facts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P...s_of_the_United_States

Lets just look at the Legislative Branch from 2000-Present;

Legislative Branch Scandals -
Ted Stevens Senator (R-AK) convicted on 7 counts of bribery and tax evasion 10/27/08. He continued to run for re-election, but lost.
Christopher Ward (R) treasurer for the National Republican Congressional Committee was accused of embezzling $800,000 during the last six years. Chicago Tribune, June 13, 2008, Section 1, pg 7
Charles Rangel (D-NY) accused of failing to report $75,000 income from the rental of his villa in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic (September 2008)
Rick Renzi (R-AZ) Announced he would not seek another term. Seven months later, on February 22, 2008 he pleaded not guilty to 35 charges of fraud, conspiracy and money laundering
Jack Abramoff Scandal, (R) lobbyist found guilty of conspiracy, tax evasion and corruption of public officials in three different courts in a wide ranging investigation. Currently serving 70 months and fined $24.7 million. See Scandals, Executive Branch. The following were also convicted:
Tom DeLay (R-TX) House Majority Leader, reprimanded twice by House Ethics Committee and aides indicted (2004-2005); eventually DeLay himself was indicted (October 2005); DeLay resigned from the House 9 June, 2006.
James W. Ellis (R) runs DeLay?s PAC, indicted
John D. Calyandro (R) runs Texans for a Republican Majority, indicted
Adam Kidon business partner of Abramoff, pleaded guilty to fraud, sentenced to 70 months
Michael Scanlon (R) former staff to Tom DeLay: working for Abramoff, pleaded guilty to bribery
Tony Rudy (R) former staff to Tom DeLay, pleaded guilty to conspiracy
Robert Ney (R-OH) bribed by Abramoff, pleaded guilty to conspiracy, sentenced to 30 months
Neil Volz (R) former staff to Robert Ney, pleaded guilty to conspiracy
William Heaton (R) former staff to Robert Ney, pleaded guilty to fraud, 24 months probation
John Albaugh (R) former COS to Ernest Istook (R-OK) pled guilty
Jared Carpenter (R) Counsel of Republicans for Environmental Advocacy, pled guilty to income tax evasion, got 45 days, plus 4 years probation
Robert Coughlin (R-PA) pled guilty
Adam Kidan private citizen, pled guilty and received 70 months
Trevor Blackann private citizen, pled guilty
James Hirni, (R) former staff to Tom Hutchinson (R-AK) indicted for wire fraud
Kevin A. Ring, (R) former staff to John Doolittle (R-CA) indicted for 10 counts of corruption
John Doolittle (R-CA) both he and his wife are under investigation (January 2008). Under this cloud, Doolittle decided not to run for re-election in November 2008.
Duke Cunningham (R-CA) pleaded guilty on November 28, 2005 to charges of conspiracy to commit bribery, mail fraud, wire fraud and tax evasion. Sentenced to over eight years.
Brent Wilkes defense contractor, bribed Cunningham with $2.4 million, serving 144 months
Thomas Kontogiannis businessman, sentenced to 97 months
Mitchell Wade defense contractor, pleaded guilty to bribery
Kyle Foggo CIA Exec. Director, indicted February 13, 2007 fraud, money laundering, conspiracy
Robert Fromm, convicted October 9, 2007
John T. Michael Kontogiannis' nephew, convicted February 4, 2008
Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) struck a U.S. Capitol Police officer in the chest after he attempted to stop her from going around a security checkpoint. McKinney apologized on the floor of the House and no charges were filed (March 29, 2006)
William J. Jefferson (D-LA) in August 2005 the FBI seized $90,000 in cash from Jefferson's home freezer. He was re-elected in 2006. On June 4, 2007, Jefferson was indicted on 16 charges of corruption for accepting bribes from convicted businessman Vernan Jackson. Jefferson pled not guilty. His former Chief of Staff Brett Pfeffer has been sentenced to 84 months. On December 6, 2008, Jefferson lost his bid for reelection
Bill Janklow (R-SD) convicted of second-degree manslaughter for running a stop sign and killing a motorcyclist. Resigned from the House and given 100 days in the county jail and three years probation
Robert Torricelli Senator (D-NJ) after 14 years in the House and one term in the Senate, Torricelli declined to run again when accused of taking illegal contributions from Korean, David Chang (2002)
Jim Traficant (D-OH) found guilty on 10 felony counts of financial corruption, he was sentenced to 8 years in prison and expelled from the House (2002)
Edward Mezvinsky (D-IA) Pleaded guilty to 31 charges of bank fraud, mail fraud and wire fraud (2001)

ALL democrats right? :roll:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
All are crooked. Why else would they pay upwards of 20 million, a senate seat, for a job that only pays around 200K? Seems like a poor return on investment until you understand their power.

From steering contracts their way to revolving doors to friends and family employment to outright bribes and fraud all have done at least one.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs to read 'not a dimes worth of difference' it catalogs every congress critters hook ups.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
I love when people use these instances as some sort of means to prove that THEIR party is somehow the "culture of righteousness". Corruption doesn't know party lines. There are corrupt republicans, there are corrupt democrats, there are corrupt 3rd party people..

Which calls into question why people blindly follow a "party" in the first place, rather than the individual.

Status
Not open for further replies.