cubes...

wviperw

Aug 5, 2000
Why does the cube hold the most out of all the rectangular solids? I know this is true by common sense, and by pluggin in a few numbers, but what is the math formula or whatever. It's Calculus, right? I haven't learned calc yet, but for my pre-cal class I need to "explain some of the underlying math principles for the change in volume that occurs when shapes and dimensions are varied" And I am doing the cube.

I have no experience with Calc., all I know is that it has to do with integrals and differentiating or somthing like that... ??

Can anybody help, or give me website that would help?

BA

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 1999
change=differential. Do you mean for having a constant sum of length, height, and width, the cube has the greatest volume?

Spuffin

Aug 28, 2000
The cube holds the most because as any side increases all other sides must increase respectively.

my 2¢

I think the fact you're trying to get is that the cube has the greatest volume for a set surface area, surface area being set by a certain perimeter.

SexEPid

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2000
I am in Pre-Calc, haven't gone over this yet...sounds like a challange, can't wait!

Pid, TYRP

wviperw

Aug 5, 2000
yea, I'm in Pre-Cal too. Check the "M&M Container" thread that I started awhile ago. This question is kinda related to that...

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
of course if you weren't working with rectangular solids, a sphere would have the greatest volume:surface area ratio

wviperw

Aug 5, 2000
yea I know, but don't even think about the sphere. Anybody know of the equation yet?

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Ahh, Pre-Calc...those were the days...DiffEq's not too bad, though...LaPlace transforms, Power series...