Do you honestly not know what's in a Cuban sandwich? :confused:

Pork
Ham
Yellow mustard
Pickles
Swiss cheese

on French bread, pressed and fried in butter

Mmmmmmmm sounds good.

And no, I didn't know what a Cuban Sammich was.

sonz70

Banned
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: Mrvile
recipe pls thx

Pork
Ham
Yellow mustard
Pickles
Swiss cheese

I've never heard of this..wonder if they sell it here anywhere.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: sonz70
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: Mrvile
recipe pls thx

Pork
Ham
Yellow mustard
Pickles
Swiss cheese

I've never heard of this..wonder if they sell it here anywhere.
If you don't have any cuban restaurants around, it's really easy to make. You just need to make sure your bread is very soft and squash the hell out of it so it's nice and flat.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: TRUMPHENT
A Cuban Sandwich belongs on Cuban Bread. Go here for intensive Cuban Sandwich lore!
The Cuban Sandwich!

:wine:
"French bread" as I use the term is actually more like Cuban bread than the crusty French bread most people think of. New Orleans French bread is interchangable with Cuban bread (according to my Cuban friends from New Orleans). I actually used Portugese bread for the Cubans I just made, it's the closest I can get around here.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
So good. I absolutely love these sandwiches. One of the dining halls on campus made them and I'd get one every time they had them. That summer when I went back home, I bought a George Foreman grill with the intent of using it almost totally for making Cuban sandwiches. I'd just buy a bag of Italian or French rolls and put the ingredients on (although I'd use dijon mustard and provolone cheese most of the time), spray the Foreman with some Pam and put the sandwich in, mash it flat, and let the bread get nice and crunchy. Good eats right there.

I had the best one I've ever had a few weeks ago, though. I was out at lunch and went to a place called the Atlanta Bread Company (dunno if this is a regional chain or what), but they had a Cuban panini and I figured I'd give it a shot. Absolutely wonderful.

Edit: And forget using leftover pork for them; they're good enough to make a whole batch of pork for just making sandwiches.

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
A Cuban Sandwich belongs on Cuban Bread. Go here for intensive Cuban Sandwich lore!
The Cuban Sandwich!

I was about to ask that. First time I had Cuban bread was when I was in Tampa Bay a couple of years ago. It was good, too bad I can't get it around here.

TRUMPHENT

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Freejack2
The Cuban Sandwich!

I was about to ask that. First time I had Cuban bread was when I was in Tampa Bay a couple of years ago. It was good, too bad I can't get it around here.

A Cuban Sandwich is best on fresh Cuban Bread. In a pinch, you could build an excellent sandwich on any similar loaf that was not too long from the oven.

I let the experts make mine.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
The thought of butter with meat (exception: certain seafoods) makes me want to hork :(

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Freejack2
The Cuban Sandwich!

A Cuban Sandwich is best on fresh Cuban Bread. In a pinch, you could build an excellent sandwich on any similar loaf that was not too long from the oven.

I let the experts make mine.
I've had em in New Orleans and I've had em in southern Florida, and I'm telling you, Cuban bread is nothing special. Especially once it's squashed and fried. It's the same thing as New Orleans French bread.

jemcam

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
I worked in Tampa for about 7 years and lots of little stores made by authentic Cubans had Cuban Sandwiches. They are great, and of course the only way they are any good is with the real cuban bread and they must be pressed.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: jemcam
I worked in Tampa for about 7 years and lots of little stores made by authentic Cubans had Cuban Sandwiches. They are great, and of course the only way they are any good is with the real cuban bread and they must be pressed.
Fine, I guess I'll have to go up to canada, fly down to Cuba, kidnap a Cuban guy (make sure he's a baker too), then bring him back up to NYC to make my Cuban sandwiches for me. :p Because obviously, I'm not qualified to dabble in this mystic art.