Cuba cuts state payroll, private sector jobs grow 23 pct in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I spent a week in Havana earlier in the month and a lot of this story ring true. The system is still a joke but its getting better. Many buildings downtown are getting renovated including El Capitolio (which was a disappointment because it was closed).

One thing that is still absurd is the retail outlets inside the non-tourist areas. It's almost impossible to find exactly what you want when you want it. I went to 3 stores looking for apple juice with no luck. There are no shops larger than convenience stores unless you go out to some tourist spots.

There are two forms of money used in Cuba adding to the inefficiency people have to deal with by changing back and forth. They have Cuban convertible pesos (chavitos or dolares CUC) and moneda nacional (pesos Cubano CUP). Most stores use the Chavitos or CUC while almost all fruits and vegetables are paid for in CUP. Some items, such as soda pop and beer can be bought with either CUP or CUC but not at the same store. Each store only accepts one currency. When you can pay in CUP you save quite a bit of money. Beer costs 1/4 less when you buy it in CUP. The lines at the cadecas or banks to convert money are always long where citizens need to waste time needlessly.

1 CUC= 24 CUP = $1 Canadian

I've met a lawyer who made 25 CUC a month and taxi drivers who make hundreds of CUC a month (if not thousands). Gas there was cheaper than in Canada by the way. Door men at tourist hotels make more than doctors. Being a hotel maid is a better paying job than being a surgeon because of the tips that maids make.

One thing that I found interesting is that in Cuba people tend to have more of an entrepreneurial mindset than in the US. The government subsidizes them but it isn't enough for them to live a decent life plus they only make $20-$35 a month which isn't enough. They are more or less forced to be looking for ways to make an extra buck here or there or they won't be able to eat. If Cuba opens up there will be an explosion (in my opinion) of economic activity. Right now the citizens are have their hands tied on what they can do.

Anyway, Cuba is moving in the right direction. Hopefully they keep moving toward free markets. Also, hopefully we end this idiotic embargo as it seems to be having the complete opposite effect than what was intended.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/27/cuba-economy-reform-idUSL1E8NQ23A20121227

Status
Not open for further replies.