Ctrl-Alt-Del author is retiring

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Its always great to make the richest man in the world a laughing stock in front of a big crowd of people. :D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dissipate
Its always great to make the richest man in the world a laughing stock in front of a big crowd of people. :D

Not when he can have you "offed" with the blink of an eye ;) Did you see how scared he got after he saw Gate's reaction and all the backpedaling he did ;)

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: Dissipate

Not when he can have you "offed" with the blink of an eye ;) Did you see how scared he got after he saw Gate's reaction and all the backpedaling he did ;)

Yep, Gates probably had a hit squad right outside the building. LoL

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

OWNAGE!!!

However, I believe that it was unintentional. I mean, he doesn't seem the kind of person to take a crack at uncle Bill like that, and he looked confused when people started laughing: I think it was just him being modest, giving the credit to Billy, without realizing the smackdown that was emerging from his mouth. Maybe it was subconcious.

MagicianBdotCom

Nov 30, 2002
Originally posted by: LordMorpheus
HAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

OWNAGE!!!

However, I believe that it was unintentional. I mean, he doesn't seem the kind of person to take a crack at uncle Bill like that, and he looked confused when people started laughing: I think it was just him being modest, giving the credit to Billy, without realizing the smackdown that was emerging from his mouth. Maybe it was subconcious.

Yeah that's what I thought too, but then he played along and said, "yeah for NT Logon you know?" hehe

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
This is great, thanks for the post. I am currently teaching ECE-355, which is an x86 hardware/assy. language class. I will show this video in class, and I will distribute the original IBM-PC BIOS assembly language source code, highlighting the area this guy wrote, and how it relates to the warm reset.

Thanks again!

Spencer278

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 2002
Originally posted by: Sid59
hahh .. "for NT logon .. " riiight. .. computer life doesn't exist without CTRL + ALT + DELETE

WTF did MS pick such a stupid key sequence for logon as CTRL + ALT + DELETE?

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Originally posted by: Spencer278
Originally posted by: Sid59
hahh .. "for NT logon .. " riiight. .. computer life doesn't exist without CTRL + ALT + DELETE

WTF did MS pick such a stupid key sequence for logon as CTRL + ALT + DELETE?

I believe it is actually functional, a security feature that circumvents possible false password entry programs that are meant to steal passwords, or hijack PC functions.

Analog

Lifer
Jan 7, 2002
Here is the code snippet he wrote (just the key sequence snare)...

KY_PAT: CMP AH,53h ; Patch for CTRL ALT - toggle
JNZ KY_PA1 ; ...not a DEL (reset)
MOV Word ptr DS:72h,1234h ; Ctrl-Alt-Del, set init flag
JMP WARM ; ...do a warm reboot

here is the keyboard portion of the bios:

;----- TEST FOR CONTROL KEY AND RESET KEY SEQUENCE (CTL ALT DEL)

K29: ; TEST-RESET
TEST @KB_FLAG,CTL_SHIFT ; ARE WE IN CONTROL SHIFT ALSO
JZ K31 ; NO RESET
CMP AL,NUM_KEY ; CHECK FOR INVALID NUM LOCK KEY
JE K26 ; THROW AWAY IF (ALT-CTL)+NUM-LOCK
CMP AL,SCROLL_KEY ; CHECK FOR INVALID SCROLL-LOCK KEY
JE K2B ; THROW AWAY IF (ALT-CTL)+SCROLL_LOCK
CMP AL,DEL_KEY ; CTL-ALT STATE, TEST FOR DELETE KEY
JNE K31 ; NO-RESET

;----- CTL-ALT-DEL HAS BEEN FOUND
MOV @RESET_FLAG,1234H ; SET FLAG FOR RESET FUNCTION
JMP START_1 ; JUMP TO POWER ON DIAGNOSTICS