CS:S Vsync ON or OFF?

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
i'd like to know if it was better to play CS:S with or without VSync (set in-game)

all my other settings are maxed out (in-game) and my FPS is still smooth with my system in signature.

what are the pros/cons of playing with VSync on? what do most people play with?

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I play CS:S, well all my games actually, with Vsync on. I turned it off in CS:S for a bit, just to test things out and I started getting tearing, which was awful, so I turned it back on and have never changed it again.

I'm not one of those guys that feels the need for 100FPS, anywhere betweem 30 and 60 is fine for me, so eliminating the tearing is well worth the capped frames for my purposes.

KT

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I've turned if off in all of my games for years. I haven't done any testing since the Radeon 9800 days, but back then, having it on had a performance drop completely unrelated to just the max fps. With vsync off, your frame rate just drops and rises normally. With vsync on, your video card comes to a scene it can't render at the full fps, it will then render at 1/2 or 2/3rds of the vsync frame rate, not whatever max it is capable of.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
i'd like to know if it was better to play CS:S with or without VSync (set in-game)

all my other settings are maxed out (in-game) and my FPS is still smooth with my system in signature.

what are the pros/cons of playing with VSync on? what do most people play with?

With your system you would have no problem turning on Vsync.