CS Masters for low major gpa but ok overall gpa

asdfghjkl

Jun 25, 2015
Hello,

I'm currently going into my fourth year in UC Berkeley this fall, studying Computer Science. My cumulative GPA is 3.56, however, my upper division CS gpa is a 3.2. I haven't done research before but I'm currently looking to do research this upcoming fall. Do I have a shot at top competitive MS programs like Berkeley or Stanford, and if not, what schools should I be looking at?

Thank you!

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
Fourth year of a four year science degree and haven't done research? I recommend going straight for a doctorate and staying out of the real world as long as possible.

Feb 25, 2011
Doubtful you'd get into a good grad program. They only really care about your major GPA, and 3.2 isn't all that impressive.

Although since you're already at Berkeley, you have an advantage if you want to go to grad school there. (Any institution will have its share of partisans who think a B from them is an A anywhere else.) So you should probably spend some time talking to one of the academic advisors in your department.

Also, since you've still got a year left, you have time to turn it around a bit. If you work really hard.

How feasible would it be to turn your BS into a 5-year program? Get an internship in there and pad in some CS electives, independent studies, etc.

It depends what you want to do professionally. Plenty of people with CS degrees never do research, get a good internship, and get a job coding in a cubicle. But they never get to invent stuff.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Maybe I'm just an average IT peasant... but nowadays what's the actual value of master's degree today?

I think back in 80s-90s, the prestige of MBA got you big promotions, but is that still the case?

Today's companies are all about, 'really what can you do for me?'. I see plenty of directors and upper mgmt with just bachelor's degree.

I make a comfortable living making $100K+ which really is nothing special in IT + big cities. Base on my exp and all the interviews I had, I don't think many would have cared much if I held an MBA.

If they cared, I don't think it's worth to the point of spending $$$$ and time/effort.

Something for you to think about. Go out there and make money. MBA is not a bottleneck for you at all today vs further stunting yourself by staying in school.