CRYSIS was so awesome! (Got some screenies. Big 56K warning)

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
I think Crysis is the best action game to come out in years. I just completed it, and boy, the last few hours are just non stop exhilaration. The action in the final segment is awe inspiring and of the highest order. I am left drained, yet in partial withdrawal because I am left gasping for more. But don?t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the length. At the third highest difficulty, I took 12-14 hours to finish this campaign, which is unheard of in today?s shooters.

I find it ridiculous that the same people, who claim to have gotten 12-15 hours out of the game, are complaining about feeling shortchanged in length. I guess there is just no satisfying the masses.

I am just thinking back to how Call of Duty 4 gave me five hours, F.E.A.R gave me seven and Half-Life 2 gave me nine. Compared to those, the playtime in Crysis is refreshingly high. Yet while other games can start to drag, the setting in Crysis changes so much that the time is sucked away like an addictive drug.

The game is divided into three segments. The first is very sandboxy in nature, and just involves you getting accustomed to life in the jungle. Because of a distress signal sent by an undercover scientist, you find yourself landing with your team on an Island illegally occupied by the North Koreans. The help message indicates that there something far more sinister on the Island, and you discover this first hand almost immediately.

The initial missions involve intelligence gathering on the North Korean activity. It is only during this period, that the game reminds you of Far Cry. However the similarities end with the setting, as the actual gameplay is very different.

While the initial phase is about information gathering, it doesn?t mean you are restricted to a certain style of gameplay. You can tackle the North Koreans as you please.

The nanosuit is what gives you an advantage over your Korean enemies. As you run around the Island accomplishing missions, you find that no encounter plays out the same way twice. This is the hallmark of a great game. Deus Ex achieved it, by blending genres, and providing multiple paths to each mission. F.E.A.R. too achieved it, by having amazingly realistic A.I., and thus having no firefight play out the same way twice.

In Crysis it is the nanosuit that is the source of unpredictability. The phrase ?emergent gameplay? is thrown around a lot, but it stands very true for Crysis.

Consider a typical Crysis scene, where you come across a Korean camp protected by sentry towers, turrets and sandbags, and powered by machine gun installed Hummers. You could go in cloaked, sticking C4 to all vulnerable objects, and then watch the fireworks from a safe distance, as you trigger each C4 at the same time. Or you could move in and out of invisibility as you choke slam Korean ala The Undertaker. If it is a check point with a small concentrated gathering, you could use the invisibility to plant a well placed grenade in the middle. Or you could use their own Hummers to crush them, or put their own turrets against them. You could use your super strength to topple their towers and bases, or toss upon them massive objects etc. The possibilities are endless, and with so much inadvertent environmental destruction, you are often rewarded with plenty of sinfully delightful emergent gameplay.

On paper, it might appear that the nanosuit is overpowering. That isn?t the case as the developers were clever enough to restrict you into using one special ability at a time. Also while motionless, cloaking drains less energy, movement drains it much faster. When sneaking about in enemy territory, you often have to time yourself to be suitably hidden when your energy levels are low. Firing a weapon removes the cloaking ability instantly as well. Something like sprinting is also kept at short bursts to keep everything balanced.

The enemy A.I., is where the game is inconsistent, as it can range from very good to disappointing. Where it is outstanding is in the enemy reaction to your stealth. If the enemy is firing at you, and you turn invisible, they will continue to fire in the direction, using the spray and pray method. If you are unlucky, you will get hit and most likely killed. If not, you can regroup to increase your cloak?s energy level.

The Koreans patrol realistically according to their level of alertness. For example if they are unaware of your presence, they will be highly casual. Once they know you are around, they will search for you more actively. If they see you point blank, regardless of your visibility, they will fire. If you want to hide, but don?t feel like cloaking, or just want a moment to raise your suit?s energy levels, you can hide behind vehicles and buildings, or in plain sight by going prone in the thick grass. The A.I. in these situations is rewardingly realistic. Once it is alert to the presence of an intruder, the safety of hiding in certain environment decreases rapidly.

Unfortunately they do at times behave unrealistically when the fight is on. Sometimes they just won?t react fast enough, even if you are firing at them in plain sight.

Eventually the sandbox portion of the first phase passes, and things develop into a small war. The war with the Koreans is outstanding fun, with you being sent on special missions to accomplish tasks that would be too difficult for normal soldiers.

All this culminates into the discovery of what is wrong with the Island, and you find yourself in the heart of an Alien transport ship. This little phase, where you explore the vessel in the state of zero gravity is quite fascinating.

While using aliens in a game might be a cliché, the actual design of these creatures is fairly unque. Their habitat is also a refreshing take on a recycled enemy.

Eventually you escape, and enter the final phase. Again it is all out war, but this time the enemy is far more lethal. I found the last phase in particular to be quite amazing, and probably the best of the game?s three segments.

Overall I?d say the game deserves the scores it got from Gamespot, PC Gamer and IGN. I?d personally score it somewhere near the early to mid nineties. I actually enjoyed Crysis more than F.E.A.R. or Half-Life 2.

The game?s style is also a bit of a throwback. With games like Call of Duty 4, Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears of War all employing somewhat of a similar approach, Crysis goes to show that the hardcore lone man shooter style isn?t dead.

I was running the game at a resolution of 1440x900, with all settings on high. I got between 28-35 frames per second, which I found fairly acceptable. Even at high, the game looked incredible, as you can see.

On very high (which can be unlocked with a workaround), the graphics on XP look near photorealistic. However on Vista, I have to say they looked even better. Unfortunately the frame rate on Vista is just not good enough, and on the same settings in XP I was getting an average of five more frame. In a game like this, you strive for every frame.

If you?ve got an 8800 series card, this game is definitely a must have. It is a truly awesome shooter, which just snowballs as it goes.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7627/crysis1tg3.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6233/crysis21se0.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7788/crysis23jh0.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/9716/crysis35jc8.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/7692/crysis48df9.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6233/crysis52yl5.jpg
http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/5286/crysis49ou7.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3483/crysis53pu3.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6000/crysis65wr7.jpg

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
argghhh you people
I have yet to crack the seal on my Crysis... waiting impatiently for a 8800 card.
COMPLETELY enjoying CoD4 though right now. I just want to enjoy Crysis in as much of full glory as I can and I fear my 7800GT isnt going to provide that.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Dude CoD4 was awesome as well. Pity the singleplayer campaign was so short. Was outstanding otherwise.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Pugnate
Dude CoD4 was awesome as well. Pity the singleplayer campaign was so short. Was outstanding otherwise.

I know Im going slowly through it (wife and kids and work see to that)
I just dont want to not fully enjoy Crysis until I can get my hands on a 8800GT somewhere without paying through the nose for it.
7800 isnt going to cut it even at 1280x1024

Jules

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just finished play some crysis but i just can't seem to get into it more then 30-45mins then i get bored. But the odd thing is i can play Uncharted for 3-4 hours no problem.

Engraver

Jun 5, 2007
Would have been nice if the singleplayer game was longer. There are lots of custom singleplayer levels I have yet to try but seem like they may provide some extended action.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Just thought I'd mention my sentiments concur with Pugnate's. I thought the game was incredible and I was having a blast up until I walked into the alien ship because I knew that this probably meant the end of the KPA levels. Instead, suddenly I found myself in zero-G and totally in awe of my surroundings, and before I knew it I was outside the core in a frozen Tropical paradise and in further awe. The game just kept ratcheting up the intensity with an incredible finale. The only major gripe I had was the VTOL level, which I ended up completing successfully despite spending several minutes stuck on the ground and missing out on everything the other VTOL pilots were talking about throughout the level because I was so far behind them. That was a real joykill, but everything else was better than I expected. Much better.

For what it's worth, Crysis to me is a mission accomplished.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
What kind of FPS are you getting with that image quality? The second to the last one is almost photorealistic.

fluxquantum

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2000
i'm currently playing crysis with my 7800gtx and waiting on the 8800gt to get here on thursday. hopefully i'll get a bit of a boost in performance. i agree that it's an awesome game.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: videogames101
dude, you NEED to enable AA, those screenshots like wicked jagged, lol...

Send me a new PSU, a SLI capable mobo, and another 8800GTX.

Then I'll be able to run FSAA. :)

Originally posted by: DangerAardvark
What kind of FPS are you getting with that image quality? The second to the last one is almost photorealistic.

About 28-35 fps. That doesn't sound like a lot, heck I am used to my 60fps min in shooters. But strangely, in Crysis, it feels smooth.

These aren't DX10 settings nor are they at very high. These are just simply HIGH on DX9. I haven't used the DX10 hacks, or my frames go down to less than 20.

Honestly, my frame rate was highest in a scene like that screenshot. They were close to mid to upper 30s.

Unfortunately when the action gets really intense towards the end, the framerate takes some punches. So yes, I can't recommend anyone play this without an 8800 card.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Unfortunately when the action gets really intense towards the end, the framerate takes some punches. So yes, I can't recommend anyone play this without an 8800 card.

This is the bummer about these machine halting games. I'm building my 8800GT based gaming system shortly and I still won't be able to play Crysis on excellent settings. I think I might just wait on the game for another couple months (year?) until I can upgrade past the 8800GT to something that will handle the game well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I would highly recommend you to use the DX10 hack.

Just make sure to leave the Shadows "as is". The DX10 tweaks are very adjustable. It doesn't make "everything" DX10, you can for example set just the objects at DX10 and leave everything else at DX9. You can make a combination like DX10 (or I should actually say "Very High") Post-Processing, Particles, Shadows, Textures, and so on, and then leave like just one or two, or whatever you feel like leaving at DX9 ("High").

See my system below in my sig ? Well, with that setting I run everything at Very High using those "DX 10 tweaks", except for the Shadows which I leave at "High". Then my resolution is 1280x960 (CRT), no AA, no AF, driver settings at "High Quality", no optimizations (but the card is indeed OC'ed, just like the CPU and Memory), and I get between 15 to 28 FPS according to my FRAPS benchmarks (28 FPS being attained in only a few levels, because the "maximum" FPS I get overall is 26, and 2 FPS within such low frame rates do make a difference believe me).

The point is, with your system, which is noticeably better than mine, you SHOULD use the DX10 tweaks, there's no reasons not to. Just leave AA and AF off, and perhaps reduce the resolution a little, and you'll enjoy Crysis twice as you did. If I did it with my system and found it to be playable I myself would see no reasons why you shouldn't.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

AA rapes fps in this game like a 7', 400lb cellmate.

Great title so far, I'm about half way through it and it's living up to my expectations and then some.

Btw I wouldn't say you need an 8800. I'm playing through on a 1950xt (at 1680x1050 of all things) and it's just fine. When I reach the part that everyone's talking about that kills fps I'll just lower settings from their current tweaked medium to med/low. It still looks amazing, and since I replay old games, I'll have no problem firing it up with a blazing card a year or three down the line and enjoying it in its full glory. I guess it's personal preference, some people can't live without every setting maxed. I'd rather just enjoy the game.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: TheVrolok

This is the bummer about these machine halting games. I'm building my 8800GT based gaming system shortly and I still won't be able to play Crysis on excellent settings. I think I might just wait on the game for another couple months (year?) until I can upgrade past the 8800GT to something that will handle the game well.

I think the 8800GT will do well.

Think of it this way. Whatever settings you end up playing at, you will still get a better looking game than Gears of War, Unreal Tournament 3 etc.

The point is that even if you don't hit maximum, the game still looks better than anything else. So enjoy it at the settings you can, and then maybe you can revisit in a few years with a 9800GT. :)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Does the ice effect on objects kill anyone elses FPS? I mean from like, perfectly smooth to 1fps instantly the second you see anything frozen?

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
Originally posted by: skace
Does the ice effect on objects kill anyone elses FPS? I mean from like, perfectly smooth to 1fps instantly the second you see anything frozen?

Not in the least. In fact it seemed as if the game got smoother.

The only thing that hurt my frames was a lot of enemies.

cirrhosis

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2005
Same here. The ice didn't really impact my FPS. What really affected it was the final sequence of the game. The last 20-30 minutes really affected how things flowed, it was noticeably chunky during that stage.

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
The last 20-30 minutes really affected how things flowed, it was noticeably chunky during that stage.

It is like that went through the least optimizing. There were bugs in that sequence, like aliens not exploding when hitting the ground, that prevented the game from continuing.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005

Send me a new PSU, a SLI capable mobo, and another 8800GTX.

Then I'll be able to run FSAA. :)

Originally posted by: DangerAardvark

About 28-35 fps. That doesn't sound like a lot, heck I am used to my 60fps min in shooters. But strangely, in Crysis, it feels smooth.

These aren't DX10 settings nor are they at very high. These are just simply HIGH on DX9. I haven't used the DX10 hacks, or my frames go down to less than 20.

Honestly, my frame rate was highest in a scene like that screenshot. They were close to mid to upper 30s.

hey, lol, i played through on my 7800gt, i'm gonna grab myself a 8800 before i go buying someone else AA.... I really wish i had a 8800ultra SLI setup for this game, it would just be amazing....

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
Originally posted by: skace

Yup, sure did. I did some tests on the demo, and it was mostly the 1680x1050 resolution behind it...would still do it with everything set to medium.