Crysis Warhead Announced

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Text

The Next Installment of One of the Highest Rated Games of 2007 Blasts its way onto PCs this Fall

Maximum freedom, maximum explosions and maximum Psycho! Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) and award-winning independent studio Crytek today announced Crysis Warhead® ? the parallel story to Crysis, one of the most critically-acclaimed first person shooters and PC games of 2007. Shipping exclusively for the PC this fall, Crysis Warhead is the first title to be developed at Crytek´s Budapest studio, and is built on a new, enhanced and optimized version of Crytek?s CryENGINE® 2 technology.

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek. ?That being said, one of the key principles of our studio is to always raise the bar. With Warhead, we are focusing on refining our storytelling and game performance, while also delivering more of the visually stunning graphics and immersive, free-roaming gameplay everyone loved in Crysis.?

?The best result of a partnership that we can ask for in the EA Partners program is when a world class independent studio like Crytek chooses to continue to work with us,? said David DeMartini, Vice President and Global General Manager, EA Partners. ?Crysis was an amazing game and is going to be a blockbuster franchise. We could not be more excited to be working with Crytek to launch another hit with Crysis Warhead this year.?

In Crysis Warhead, players will don the Nanosuit of Sergeant Sykes, also known as ?Psycho?, one of the most memorable characters from Crysis. More brash and aggressive than his Delta Force squadmate Nomad, players will experience Psycho?s parallel story during the events of the original game, finding that life on the other side of the island is even more intense and explosive than they ever could have imagined. Luckily, Psycho?s Nanosuit is just as capable and he?s equipped with an even bigger arsenal of fully customizable weapons and new vehicles, giving players access to the tools they need to dominate any situation. Aside from this new, exciting single player campaign, Crysis Warhead will also feature new multiplayer content. Stay tuned for more details this summer.

Crysis Warhead has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI. For more information about the game, please visit www.crysisthegame.com.

CottonRabbit

Golden Member
Apr 28, 2005
Like I predicted in the other thread (which I can no longer find), Crytek cancelled Crysis patch 1.3 just so they can release all those features/optimizations in a new standalone game that takes place on the same island against the same enemies. It'll probalbly cost them pennies to make.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit
Like I predicted in the other thread (which I can no longer find), Crytek cancelled Crysis patch 1.3 just so they can release all those features/optimizations in a new standalone game that takes place on the same island against the same enemies. It'll probalbly cost them pennies to make.

i hope it only cost pennies, then they can release many installments.

I for one welcome my crysis overlords.

Hopefully, they'll have 2-3 installments in a package (like orange box) that will be available once systems catch up and more budget computers can play the game at higher levels.

nova2

Feb 3, 2006
at least in this one instance they certainly aren't bioware or blizzard

with them canceling patch 1.3. Not post-poned, canceled.
too bad patch support was so short lived, it could've been used well.

we'll see how the standalone Warhead product goes, and if it will have a c++ SDK.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Am I the only one to find this line funny ? lol

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Good. That gives me another 3 months or so to actually make it through the game.

KT

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
It sounds like a standalone expansion, but it's not actually one and will instead by full price? :confused:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
so is this continuing the crysis storyline, or will it be more like the half-life blueshift and opposing force games, where it's someone else's perspective, more or less?

BassBomb

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2005
Parallel story huh.. I was hoping for the continuation when they head back into the island

But this would be pretty cool too

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
Excellent! Now I get to see what that lazy bastard has been doing all that time on the other side of the island. He never helps when he's around and always conveniently shows up after I clear a village of enemies.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: jtvang125
Excellent! Now I get to see what that lazy bastard has been doing all that time on the other side of the island. He never helps when he's around and always conveniently shows up after I clear a village of enemies.

but i don't want to play as some ridiclously-accented brit named psycho ;) :p

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: KaOTiK

?We were very pleased with the reception of Crysis from both gamers and media after our launch last year,? said Cevat Yerli, CEO and President of Crytek

The game sold 3 million units. :confused:

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
A stand-alone game that's neither a prequel nor a sequel and will certainly cost the same as Crysis? I'm... not... really sure about that one. I also expected at least a sequel, but a parallel story with a barely interesting character isn't quite convincing to me. Let's bring more of the same jungles and even more North Koreans, a big hooray for diversity is on the horizon with Warhead.

HamburgerBoy

Lifer
Apr 12, 2004
So long as it's full-length and just as good as the original I don't have any problem with this.

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Originally posted by: HamburgerBoy
So long as it's full-length and just as good as the original I don't have any problem with this.

same here, the original was amazing.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

Cash cow. 12 months or less after its progenitor? I don't think so. Especially not in today's development environments. Bet this thing reuses a lot of the same maps (with a couple new ones) and adds a minor bit of new story.

Not so sure it'll be worth it. Depends on the price point.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: duragezic
It sounds like a standalone expansion, but it's not actually one and will instead by full price? :confused:

I'll probably still buy it because I'm a sucker, but really, QFT.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: CottonRabbit

I pretty much feel the same way about this expansion annoucement as I did with Battlefield 2142's release. You see, Battlefield 2 had support discontinued and was really never successfully fully patched, so I would assume Battlefield 2142 (from the same developers and based on the same game engine) would follow the same trend. I never did buy Battlefield 2142.

What has happened to Crytek? Oh yeah, they got in bed with EA in 2004 and have been a diseased company ever since. Won't be buying this game either. Crytek has squandered all the good will they had created with this gamer in pretty much one year's time.

Side Note: I expect Mass Effect will be the last polished (or even playable) product from Bioware now that they have the EA clap too.

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Maximum Psycho!?!?!

SIGN...ME...UP!!!

From that first sentence of the release, I'm almost expecting them to use the word "XTREME!!!" somewhere on the cover.

All that aside, looking forward to more information. I really think they could have held off on releasing Crysis for another month or two, let's see what they can do with a little less than a year.

-z

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004

No, I thought it was pretty chuckalicious too.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Meh, been there done that- I will be looking forward to Clear Sky and Spore more than this.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

i too am surprised by that statement, especially given the fact that they last said "we will no longer do PC exclusives"

i will most definitely be waiting on reviews for warhead, considering the 1year turn around time from crysis. i can see it sucking. i hope it doesn't though, because i enjoyed crysis.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper

i too am surprised by that statement, especially given the fact that they last said "we will no longer do PC exclusives"

i will most definitely be waiting on reviews for warhead, considering the 1year turn around time from crysis. i can see it sucking. i hope it doesn't though, because i enjoyed crysis.

It probably will, since it's following in it's daddy's footsteps. Hopefully they'll put in a bit more action into this one.