Crysis, Vista 64, Sli = teh suck

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
here's my rant, I originally played through Crysis with my 8800GTX with a tweaked dx9 config @ 1920x1200. Game was mostly on high with some dx10 effects enabled. Game was mostly playable but i had to lower the settings a couple times to make it through some parts of the game.

I recently sold the GTX and picked up 2 GT's with about $75 out of pocket expenses. I'm very happy with the 2 cards but Crysis is pissing me off to holy hell. The GT's play Crysis very nicely most of the time with a stock config, all high dx10 but there are a few areeas where the sli indicators bottom out and run absolutley terrible. Example of such spot would be when you go into the village to rescue the girl. The building in the center is where all hell breaks loose. I go in the building sporting high frames 35-40, but the second I step outside, the game hitches like crazy and get frames in the mid teens. I lower all settings to medium and still get frames in the upper teens. I try lowering every setting to low and still get frames in the very low 20's. WTF!!!!

It seems as though there is a major problem at this area. My laptop with the ddr2 version of the 8600 gt gets much better playability here with mostly high settings at a lower resolution. The game actually is much smoother from start to finish on the lappy than my desktop.

I can run Crysis completely above 25fps with everything on high except shaders on medium @ 1024 x640 , I know that may seem like a low resolution but it scales perfectly to 1440x900 and looks very very good. This is a video card with 32 shaders and 256 meg ram. Oh yeah, windows xp

I know I'm trying to run Crysis with pretty high setttings on the Desktop but come on my laptop gives a much more consistent gaming experience than this friggin "super desktop" I know Crysis hasn't really been optomised for SLI yet but most of the time my SLi indicators are up very high.

I believe that some area's are just plain ole broken using either Vista 64 or sli, or Dx10 not sure yet which is the deciding factor but I will get to the bottom of this!!!

My benchies using built in benchmark are

Desktop, dx10 all high 1920x1200 - 31.fps

lappy, Xp, dx9 all high except shaders medium 1024x640-30fps

Even though the 2 have almost identical performance by the numbers the "seat of the pants" experience is far more enjoyable on the lappy

I'm using 169.25 and nhancer with afr3 on nHancer for the desktop and 169.04 on the lappy.

Am I missing something here?

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
No you are not missing anything, simply put your system is not powerful enough.

You need a faster processor and the 3xSLI 8800 GTs to run smoothly through the WHOLE game, that's all. Your system is pretty nice but don't expect it to be the end all be all.

EDIT: yea some driver optimization may help fix it, but untill then you have to use brute force IE: more sli and processor power, to do it.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
I have similar problems with Crysis and WinXP + 8800GT.

I have every setting on HIGH except for three options which are at MEDIUM. Running 1600x1200. I average 20-30FPS about 95% of the time; the other 5% is like 17-20. Which, considering the nature of this game's complexity... is tolerable and even ideal when I'm in the upper 20's.

But when I got to the dome tent at the Excavation site where Rosenthal is... when the shit hit the fan in there and the screen goes smoky black/white... my FPS dropped to a steady 4 FPS. Yup, just FOUR. Occasionally it dipped to 3 when I turned to the left; and would rise way up to 5 if I turned to the right.

To make a game so hard to run in the first place is questionable; but to have it's performance so horribly inconsistent between steady 20-30 FPS and then down to 3 FPS is just horrible. It's a fantastic game, but damn. It's been a long time since a game made my 'puter cry.

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: MrWizzard
No you are not missing anything, simply put your system is not powerful enough.

You need a faster processor and the 3xSLI 8800 GTs to run smoothly through the WHOLE game, that's all. Your system is pretty nice but don't expect it to be the end all be all.

EDIT: yea some driver optimization may help fix it, but untill then you have to use brute force IE: more sli and processor power, to do it.

Hmmm, I will only except this answer when I accept defeat which i am not ready to do so. the fact that my 32 Stream processor 8600 Gt can handle the same area fine with much more fluidity doesn't make sense. I can turn the 8800gt sli rig down to 1024 x 768 with low settings at the aforementioned area and still get below 30fps. there is definately something wrong here. Anybody with 8800 gt's or any comparable sli rig running in vista 64 care to compare?

lavaheadache

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Zenoth
Wait for the patch, SLi is currently bugged.

Yeah i actually just confirmed that im my particular problem area that in single card configuration fps are actually higher than sli. freaking Crytek... fix the game already!! This game came out 1.5 months ago with a patch supposedly to be realeased in 2 weeks