crysis rants

trance247

Jan 17, 2006
I love how the game looks nice and i like how it plays, i applied the natural mod and it made things better. No I get artifacts from time to time, i cant revert since i am far in the game but it bugs me...other things that bug me is that how you blow up korean patrol with a rocket launcher and no body parts? And does anyone play in Delta? Do you feel like there is no right balance? I played BioShock, STALKER and I felt those games though entirely different had a more balanced weapons and tactics?

Any tips, maybe other mods or tweaks?

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Yep, Delta feels too hard (Koreans have completely bulletproof armor everywhere except the head, you die so fast), but anything below feels easy. Oh well, it's still fun.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
So do I, but you don't really have much choice of how to play beyond sneaking around and taking head shots. On normal you can run and gun, like that nanosuit should allow.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Delta felt fine for me cause normal was way too easy. After going through a clip on the torsos of enemies in normal, you get used to aiming closer to the head, so that may have helped me. The patrol boats are way too hard to take out without a rocket launcher in delta though.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Imp
Delta felt fine for me cause normal was way too easy. After going through a clip on the torsos of enemies in normal, you get used to aiming closer to the head, so that may have helped me. The patrol boats are way too hard to take out without a rocket launcher in delta though.

You just have to snipe the pilot, then take out the gunner at leisure. If you take the gunner out first, the pilot will flee, report your location, dock, and come after you :D

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
So do I, but you don't really have much choice of how to play beyond sneaking around and taking head shots. On normal you can run and gun, like that nanosuit should allow.

you certainly have to be more careful in delta. i still had run and gun moments though. they typically involved me killing a few guys, getting my ass kicked, then hiding so i could regenerate.

i always play the hardest settings in games. i felt delta was a solid challenge for the most part - armor mode saves you from otherwise fatal wounds. how long do you expect a standard soldier to last against a mounted .50cal?

favorite moment: tank battle by far. i thought it was pretty epic given the wide open spaces, fast pacing, and hordes of enemies :D

biggest complaint: KPA troops are insanely accurate on delta. their .50cal bullets never miss, mine do anything but hit.

enjoyed the game? hell yeah. i hope they make crysis 2 and 3 (since it's supposed to be a trilogy) :)

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Canai
Originally posted by: Imp

You just have to snipe the pilot, then take out the gunner at leisure. If you take the gunner out first, the pilot will flee, report your location, dock, and come after you :D

I always went for the gunner first and could never hit him even at moderate ranges. After dying a few times, I just started avoiding them altogether... I'll try that in the future if I ever replay it again.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Delta is cool, but if you want to experience the most difficult FPS ever, try S.T.A.L.K.E.R. on Master difficulty with the SIMBION modification. I say good luck even completing the first level within a week period.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
I just built a pretty sweet machine and I still can't run crysis:

Core 2 Quad @ 3.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 @ ~950Mhz, 8800 GT, and a 22" monitor

The monitor is my undoing. If I turn the detail down to a level where it plays well at native resolution it just looks like Far Cry. I could go back to an old screen but why should I have to? The days of dinky little 17" gaming are over and developers know this. Also the scenery appears out of nowhere (Oblivion anyone?) on medium detail which *does* affect gameplay. COD4 looks and plays way better than this at high res.

What do you need? 2*8800GT overclocked? Watercooling on those too probably... who has that?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
other things that bug me is that how you blow up korean patrol with a rocket launcher and no body parts?
If they implemented things like that the game would need a higher censorship rating due to higher gore levels.

If you want a lot of gore try the Soldier of Fortune series.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: BFG10K
other things that bug me is that how you blow up korean patrol with a rocket launcher and no body parts?
If they implemented things like that the game would need a higher censorship rating due to higher gore levels.

they're both rated M.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: BFG10K

they're both rated M.

I think it's fair to say though that games with more gore have a smaller market / don't appeal to as wide an audience. It would come with an extra warning on the box as well. I would really like a dismemberment option though, Jedi Knight II style :D

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I just played again for a bit to mess around, and the koreans can hit you with pinpoint accuracy from hundreds of yards anyway on full auto when playing Delta. But that's why it's called "Bauer" difficulty in the game files.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
I just played again for a bit to mess around, and the koreans can hit you with pinpoint accuracy from hundreds of yards anyway on full auto when playing Delta. But that's why it's called "Bauer" difficulty in the game files.

hahahahaha now THAT's funny!

i wonder if there's an unlockable "chuck norris" difficulty :laugh:

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
Crysis has it's moments, but it failed in many ways.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed looks set to kick crysis's ass, and it's a console game!
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

That's my main beef, that a console game can bet that much better then a super hyped PC game with awesome graphics. But SW:FU isn't out yet, so i could be wrong.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: ZzZGuy
Crysis has it's moments, but it failed in many ways.

Star Wars: Force Unleashed looks set to kick crysis's ass, and it's a console game!
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/theforceunleashed/

That's my main beef, that a console game can bet that much better then a super hyped PC game with awesome graphics. But SW:FU isn't out yet, so i could be wrong.

how exactly will it kick crysis' ass? crysis' strength is massive outdoor environments with insane amounts of vegitation, which no console game, afaik, does.

with that said, SW:FU does look awesome (graphically and gameplay) - i just hope its gameplay does indeed equal its graphics :). a shame it is not currently planned for PC.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Atheus
I just built a pretty sweet machine and I still can't run crysis:

Core 2 Quad @ 3.4Ghz, 4GB DDR2 @ ~950Mhz, 8800 GT, and a 22" monitor

The monitor is my undoing. If I turn the detail down to a level where it plays well at native resolution it just looks like Far Cry. I could go back to an old screen but why should I have to? The days of dinky little 17" gaming are over and developers know this. Also the scenery appears out of nowhere (Oblivion anyone?) on medium detail which *does* affect gameplay. COD4 looks and plays way better than this at high res.

What do you need? 2*8800GT overclocked? Watercooling on those too probably... who has that?

Sounds like something else is a little off. My buddy has the same-ish setup except with a weaker ati HD3850. It can play at standard res on his 22" on med-high graphics and it still looks fantastic.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
So I finished the game last night, and the ending had me a bit disappointed. The boss battle was just plain annoying - trying to blow open the hatch while being swarmed by little aliens and having the girl yelling at me to do it got obnoxious very fast. The game also wasn't very good at telling you where to go in the carrier - I had some trouble figuring out how to get to which deck at times. Crytek did leave plenty for the next 2 games in series, though.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Only partway through it at this point, but so far the AI has been noticeably retarded at times and noticeably brilliant at others.

Tanks blowing up buildings between me and them to get a clear shot is a nice touch. Enemies standing in a stairwell looking in the opposite direction despite me tromping around loudly uncloaked ~10 feet directly behind them is not.

Pincer moves in the forest is pretty cool. Not coming upstairs when I am blowing away your comrades quite loudly with a shotgun is not.

Using your emplaced guns to blow away my cover as I'm waiting for my energy to recharge is refreshing. Not leaving your emplaced gun when I huck a grenade in there is not.

It's like for every high, there has to be a low.

One cool moment so far: Got into it uncloaked with a bunch of KPA in the coconut field right after Prophet got nailed by that alien doodad. Like ~5 soldiers plus they called in a hummer, which parked right next to an empty one in their little encampment. I ran into one of the huts, which began to disintegrate around me, so in a panic I lobbed a grenade under the occupied hummer, ran out back, and dove behind a fence.

*ka BOOM*

Grenade -> Occupied Hummer -> Unonccupied Hummer -> Fuel Barrel was the order of explosions. Took out a couple buildings and pretty much all the resistance. Not bad mileage from one grenade.

Was also trading fire with some KPA in the village before grabbing CIA lady (first hostage), not noticing they had taken cover in the *gas station* of all places, and while attempting to headshot some guy in the doorway, I hit the pump one too many times and the whole damn building lit up.

Some cool moments, to be sure. I have a feeling I'll be back to this thread though when I get to the last 1/4 of the game, as it sounds like they reeeeeely screwed the pooch from the reviews.