Crysis Q&A - Development Updates and Open-Ended Gameplay

m21s

Dec 6, 2004
Article found here

The best part for me was...

GS: What sort of hardware was the E3 demo running on? How's the battle to optimize the game going? Are you still sticking with the general rule that Crysis will run on two-year old hardware, albeit at lower visual settings?

CY: At E3, we were running on a [GeForce] 8800 video card and a dual-core Intel [CPU]with 4 gigabytes of RAM at very high settings. Not the highest, though! Most of the time, it was running smoothly.

AND

GS: Where's the game at currently in development? Will Crysis ship this year? Can you get any more specific than that?

CY: Yes, we will ship this year. In fact, we will announce the ship date very, very soon.

Sniper82

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
Sounds good although I hope the 4gb memory ain't needed even though memory is cheap now. Also hope Nvidia has another refresh before or not long after the games released.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I'd just play the game on medium with a DX9 card, 2GB of RAM, and that's it; I'm not in a big hurry to see this really great effects, especially considering it'll take 6 months to get everything unlocked with new hardware--no hurry for me.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: m21s

CY: At E3, we were running on a [GeForce] 8800 video card and a dual-core Intel [CPU]with 4 gigabytes of RAM at very high settings. Not the highest, though! Most of the time, it was running smoothly.

But at what resolution? :D

Not horrible news though. We should see a refresh of video cards before the game ships. And like Sniper82 said, memory is still cheap right now, maybe $150 for 4GB of value DDR2. As for a cpu, we are already gold with Intel C2D and Intel's price cuts. The E6750 should run the game very well, and for less than 200 bucks.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: bamacre

Not horrible news though. We should see a refresh of video cards before the game ships. And like Sniper82 said, memory is still cheap right now, maybe $150 for 4GB of value DDR2. As for a cpu, we are already gold with Intel C2D and Intel's price cuts. The E6750 should run the game very well, and for less than 200 bucks.

i have an amd 5000x2 with 2GB of ram and an evga 7950gt ko 512MB card.. im hoping for medium settings and a decent resolution on one of my 22" lcd's.. im not worried about AA, etc...

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I am hoping it runs decently on my rig although I am planning on getting a 640MB 8800GTS at some point.

m21s

Dec 6, 2004
I'm bumping this because people in the "other" crysis thread apparently do not read well...

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
Originally posted by: Sniper82
Sounds good although I hope the 4gb memory ain't needed even though memory is cheap now. Also hope Nvidia has another refresh before or not long after the games released.

4 GB is needed today and will be needed.

Noema

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2005
Originally posted by: pcslookout

Yes? Which application will not run with less than 4GB of RAM?

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
I'm bumping this because people in the "other" crysis thread apparently do not read well...

We can read, but our thread has three stars and yours has ZERO.:p

It's also no longer about Crysis. It's about people whining about the game industry not delivering, when in fact, they are meeting the customer demands to the best of their ability. But as usual, it's the customer being unreasonable and pointing the finger at the industry.

But it is a business. They are doing it to make money. They do post mortem analysis, customer feedback, etc.

I may go to ZipZoomFly for a special harddrive if they got it before newegg. However, few people will not not buy the new FPS from company A and instead buy company B's RTS because the FPS was released late.

Some people are sold on the hype and appearance. They won't look further. They've already handed their hard earned money over.

m21s

Dec 6, 2004
You guys still don't know how to read, and over react like cry babies :p

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

What good will 4gig do if you are on 32-bit like 99.9% of people? I thought there was an article right here on anandtech that says 32-bit Vista cant allocate more than 2gigs for an application.

Sylvanas

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2004
Originally posted by: toyota

What good will 4gig do if you are on 32-bit like 99.9% of people? I thought there was an article right here on anandtech that says 32-bit Vista cant allocate more than 2gigs for an application.

4GB wont be *NEEDED* it will run 'fine' on 1-2GB since they wont make a game only 1% of the PC gaming audience will be able to play....however it would make sense that if you did have 4GB, games like Crysis would put that to use.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Noema

Yes? Which application will not run with less than 4GB of RAM?

Excellent question Noema, but don't expect a rational answer.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: bamacre

$150 for value? I recently paid $80 for 2GB of OCZ Platinum! It was such a great deal, I should've bought 4GB to put in my server :evil:!