CRYSIS new E3 in-game video - Amazing!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
Originally posted by: CCityInstaller
Originally posted by: jim1976
Guys what's happening? I can hear the sound in Winamp but I can't see the picture in the high res file... I'm trying to see with Gspot if I miss a codec but it says it's an unsupported file. Can anyone help?

I have the same problem. I tried playing it in WMP 10, but all i got was sound as well.

Tried VLC yet?

jim1976

Platinum Member
Aug 7, 2003
Originally posted by: BespinReactorShaft
Originally posted by: CCityInstaller
Originally posted by: jim1976
Guys what's happening? I can hear the sound in Winamp but I can't see the picture in the high res file... I'm trying to see with Gspot if I miss a codec but it says it's an unsupported file. Can anyone help?

I have the same problem. I tried playing it in WMP 10, but all i got was sound as well.

Tried VLC yet?

Yeap that solved it.. Dunno probably the H264 codec is messed up or something..
Amazing video , the interactivity and the environment of this game beyond GFX amaze me..
It will be a state of the art game that will set the standards for the upcoming titles w/o doubt..

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
The video is a MP4. QT plays it. Others that support the H.264 will. It is not a "winamp" file. Winamp just declared anything ending in "mp4" is mine and does not have the codec loaded.

BTW, H.264 is overkill on it. Looks like it was shot with a DV cam (but it could be a Sony HC1/A1). The video on the screen appears to be more stunning than the capture with the cam presented it.

LittleNemoNES

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
Originally posted by: gsellis
The video is a MP4. QT plays it. Others that support the H.264 will. It is not a "winamp" file. Winamp just declared anything ending in "mp4" is mine and does not have the codec loaded.

BTW, H.264 is overkill on it. Looks like it was shot with a DV cam (but it could be a Sony HC1/A1). The video on the screen appears to be more stunning than the capture with the cam presented it.

QFT

T9D

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001

Ah good to know. Yup played in QT just fine.

However yes the video quality is overkill. Wasn't much better looking than the low quality one because it was recorded off the screen. But the game and graphics look awesome from what I can tell. I love how all the bushes and trees move and sway in the wind. And they do all this without a PPU card? See i'm thinking just a CPU for physics will be fine.

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Originally posted by: orangat
The hardware requirements is probably going to be very steep seeing the environment is large, immersive and totally interactive with no fake skyboxes. If this game gives an x1900xt sli the fits now, the rleased version might only need 1 very high end card.

So you think a volt modded 7900GT might be able to play this? :]

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: firewolfsm
Originally posted by: orangat
The hardware requirements is probably going to be very steep seeing the environment is large, immersive and totally interactive with no fake skyboxes. If this game gives an x1900xt sli the fits now, the rleased version might only need 1 very high end card.

So you think a volt modded 7900GT might be able to play this? :]

If in fact this game really does bring an X1900 Crossfire setup to its knees...then probably not.

But with resolution and effects lowered yeah you probably could.

Arkane13131

Feb 26, 2006
if its forcing DX10 then ofcourse its going to run like ass on any DX9 card.

Im sure in DX9 Mode the 7900gt's volt modded will do decently.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Played it on vlc, looked crappy too me. Maybe my crt is sensitive to wiggly graphics.

BespinReactorShaft

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
It's probably not your display... the saturation of the camcorder video was terrible and the compression killed the quality of the high-motion parts. If only they'd release an in-game recorded demo with properly tuned encoding, there'd likely be lots more drooling fans...

Any idea if there's anything on the roadmap between now and the G81/R600 that might do this game justice?

p/s. Just tried QuickTime and it played fine but I didn't like its fullscreen capability.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002

Either that or the cam used to record it hides a lot of the imperfections fooling you into thinking it looks better than it does.

hemmy

Jun 19, 2005
Originally posted by: tk109

However yes the video quality is overkill. Wasn't much better looking than the low quality one because it was recorded off the screen. But the game and graphics look awesome from what I can tell. I love how all the bushes and trees move and sway in the wind. And they do all this without a PPU card? See i'm thinking just a CPU for physics will be fine.

They said no PPU support

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
Originally posted by: tk109

But imagine the possibilities with a PPU. Notice when he backs the jeep down the hill the bushes don't move? They just continue to sway in the breeze.

What I don't want to see is extra junk thrown in just because a PPU allows it. Like in GRAW. From what I saw it does nothing to improve gameplay or realism, all it is is a few more particles that fly around after an explosion and then DISAPPEAR. Stupid stupid stupid if you ask me.

roguerower

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2004
This game is so gonna rape both of my pc's. X800Pro and QuadroFX 1400Go are gonna burn like crazy.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
From what I saw it does nothing to improve gameplay or realism, all it is is a few more particles that fly around after an explosion and then DISAPPEAR. Stupid stupid stupid if you ask me.

Seriously, that's what I thought when I saw the videos...what's the point of having everything disappear?? It then has no effect on gameplay. But, the framerates would probably be even worse if the extra particles stayed on screen. Still, I think it was useless.