Crysis crashes from time to time...

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
I've been finishing up the single player campaign in crysis, but it's crashed on me at least a couple times in the last week. It seems to be at fairly random times, just now it was as I was reaching a checkpoint on the carrier. My vid card hadn't gotten over 63*C and my processor never over 60*C. Any clue?

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

60C is pretty warm for an Athlon 64, but I don't think it'd be enough to knock off stability.

Up to date drivers for everything right?

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: ja1484

60C is pretty warm for an Athlon 64, but I don't think it'd be enough to knock off stability.

Up to date drivers for everything right?

Athlon is safe to 72*C according to a couple of reports I've read.

Running 169.25 on my GT....Also, it crashed again when I was fighting on the flight deck :( ..I'll turn off AA and see if anything happens.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
AMD Says 55-68C for the 4800+:

Text

I don't know why they give a range - it seems really stupid to me, instead of just giving me a cutoff for safe operating temp.

Regardless, I don't think that's the issue, because it doesn't sound like a heat lockup. CTD is usually a compatibility issue - heat lockup usually locks/crashes your whole system, forcing a reboot, and usually with either some visual corruption or a completely frozen screen. Got anything running in the background? Try the 169.28 beta driver from NV - it was released specifically to fix some issues with Crysis and SLI, maybe it'll help you out too.

You do have Crysis patched to 1.1 yes?

Sound drivers up to date? Motherboard drivers?

Other things you might try:

-Drop your OC say 200Mhz. Could be the memory controller can't handle Crysis at its current OC.

- Loosen your memory timings a tad. Again, the RAM may be getting hit harder than it has before.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
OK it hasn't crashed since i turned off the 2xAA. I'm running all high settins at 1280x960. I haven't tried your suggestions yet.

However, I'm currently on the part where I'm trying to kill the big walker on the flight deck. ...but it disappeared, forcing me to reload a couple saves back. It did this twice. Really odd. All my other drivers are up to date, and I've never gotten any complete lockups. Crysis is 1.1.

For the RAM timings, I didn't figure they'd be getting hit that hard because I'm running them at 667.

If it keeps bugging up on me, I'll clock down and see what happens.

edit: Now the walker doesn't disappear, but about half of my hits with the missile launcher don't register. It's not exactly an easy target to miss.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007

If you're getting visual wonkiness that seems to settle down when you dial down some GPU settings, I start to think either an off-kilter driver install (consider uninstalling and reinstalling drivers fresh for the GPU), or worse, actual problems with the silicon that might require an RMA.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: ja1484

If you're getting visual wonkiness that seems to settle down when you dial down some GPU settings, I start to think either an off-kilter driver install (consider uninstalling and reinstalling drivers fresh for the GPU), or worse, actual problems with the silicon that might require an RMA.

I doubt this. I've had the card for over a month and have never encountered such problems until this week. I'll use drivercleaner, install the new betas, and then see what happens.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: angry hampster
No more problems, just beat the game :) ...There damn well better be a sequel :laugh:

So looks like it was a driver issue then. Glad it's settled.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
Originally posted by: Fenixgoon
Originally posted by: angry hampster
No more problems, just beat the game :) ...There damn well better be a sequel :laugh:

it's planned as a trilogy :)

Excellent! Looks like I'll be dumping more money into it :laugh: ..Honestly though, I thought the storyline developed nicely at the end with Psycho, the Professor, and Prophet coming back together. Looking forward to seeing how things play out. Also, I hadn't played in DX10 until today. Looked awesome with medium-high settings.