Crysis bought through steam was not running (W10-64), :( (solved)

May 11, 2008
Hi, i just bought crysis through steam and it is not running. This seems to be a common problem to get crysis to run on windows 10-64bit. When i start the game, i just get a black screen and nothing until windows mentions that the game does not respond. I dowloaded the latest crysis patch 1.2 from the crytek website but i cannot patch the game. Is there some way through steam to get the game patched to be able to run it ?

I am used to old games not running right away. But with the other games i have, i always have a cd or dvd to install the game and then i just run the patches, sometimes i have to copy bink dlls to get the games to run. But with steam managed games i have no idea.
I am busy with traversing the steam community forum to see if there is some answer. So far, the simple solutions did not help.

Anybody have an idea ?

Reactions: homebrew2ny

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
You do realize steam just gives you the game like any other medium, right? If you replaced DLL's before its gonna be the same method for steam games. They don't arrange or do anything different to the games besides the steam drm.

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Hi, i just bought crysis through steam and it is not running. This seems to be a common problem to get crysis to run on windows 10-64bit. When i start the game, i just get a black screen and nothing until windows mentions that the game does not respond. I dowloaded the latest crysis patch 1.2 from the crytek website but i cannot patch the game. Is there some way through steam to get the game patched to be able to run it ?

I am used to old games not running right away. But with the other games i have, i always have a cd or dvd to install the game and then i just run the patches, sometimes i have to copy bink dlls to get the games to run. But with steam managed games i have no idea.
I am busy with traversing the steam community forum to see if there is some answer. So far, the simple solutions did not help.

Anybody have an idea ?

It's hit or miss depending on your rig in win 10 x64 tbh. For some it works others it just doesnt

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

Anybody have an idea ?

Do you have a firewall running? It could be blocking Crysis and is unable to get through and not let the game run.

/just built a new pc with Win 10 and had this issue.

May 11, 2008
You do realize steam just gives you the game like any other medium, right? If you replaced DLL's before its gonna be the same method for steam games. They don't arrange or do anything different to the games besides the steam drm.
Of course, but when the patch installer will not install but stops with an error code 1642 there is not much i can do, i have no tools to extract any files the installer might have and copy them manually.
Nor any guideline what to do with the files.

Refund and buy the GOG version (75% off at the moment)? That's pretty much the most recent re-release of it that contains the 64-bit version of the game (missing from Steam and Origin releases?), is pre-patched to 1.2.1, and apparently comes bundled with the sandbox editor.

That sounds like a better idea, i for now downloaded the 64 bit binaries and the game runs when following the steps.
For files and explanation :
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/257-crysis-64-bit-binaries/
But i am afraid that the game might crash further in the game and i am not able to finish the game.
This makes me wonder if the steam game is patched and updated at all.
I am going to check later on to see if there are any commands to see which version of crysis i have.
If it is V1.2 , maybe the game will run. If it is an old version, i think i will refund and get the GOG version instead. I will look into it tonight.

edit:
Forgot my manners.
Thank you BSim500. :)

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Found this , the file version of crysis.exe installed by steam is 1.1.1.6156. I just checked.

If this is correct :
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Crysis#Version_differences
Game also reports as being File version 1.1.1.6156, which is not a listed file version, however, File version 1.1.1.6156 is equivalent to that of Patch 1.21.
Then at least steam delivers the latest version. Just for some reason, the 64 bit binaries are not supplied. But my post above has a link to the great game community webpage.

This is great to get rid of all the annoying intro videos, the game starts right away in the menu(Only the ESRB notice is shown):
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Crysis#Skip_intro_videos

When pressing ~ while in game.
r_DisplayInfo = 1
to get the fps number.
r_DisplayInfo = 0 to turn it off.

I am all set.
Have to do all keyboard mappings and see how far i can push the graphics up to stay at a stable 60 fps.

May 11, 2008
I have no luck with crysis it seems. I tried to start it again and now it comes up with the message that I need W98 or higher.
I have no idea what is going on with this game. I am going to ask for a refund from steam and get a game that is actually working.:(

May 11, 2008
Well, i got refunded by steam. That is great. Steam delivers excellent service. :)
Crysis i find to be unreliable. I traversed through the steam community, i tried some more possible fixes, but the game seems to crash often in game for many people as well after the bin64 fix. Thus i have given up on crysis. I am not even going to buy the GOG version.

I noticed on steam that the games :
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Are available.
I always liked the wolfenstein game, have it in my collection.
So, i am going to buy wolfenstein : the new order instead.
I hope i will have better luck with wolfenstein : the new order.

May 11, 2008
Crysis ,crysis 2, crysis warhead and crysis wars are available as collection for 9.99E now on steam.
I thought about giving it another try. And so i did.
Some steamcommunity tricks combined actually worked to get crysis running (and crysis warhead):
I have played the game crysis for half an hour or so.

I have installed both crysis warhead and crysis.
"Deleted" the bin32 folder from crysis (actually, i do not delete anything technically, i just store it in a zipfile in case i might need something from it later on. But the folder(or file) is no longer present). Do the same for crysis warhead.
in the bin64 in warhead, delete crysis.exe. Rename the 64bit executable to just Crysis.exe.
Renamed the bin64 folder to bin32.
Copy the newly renamed bin32 folder from warhead to crysis in the steam apps folder (default = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Crysis).

Deleted all redundant startup movies (Steam\steamapps\common\Crysis\Game\Localized\Video) :
CryTek.sfd
Trailer_Crytek.sfd
Trailer_CrytekC.sfd
Trailer_DemoLegal.sfd
Trailer_EA.sfd
Trailer_Intel.sfd
Trailer_NVidia.sfd
Trailer_PEGI.sfd
Trailer_Rating_Full.sfd
Trailer_Rating_Logo.sfd

This will make the game start in a second or 3.

Go to crysis in the steam program and do properties , [LAUNCH OPTIONS].
Add "-devmode".
Start the game.
When the screen stays black, press ~, type "con_restricted 0".
Then type "map island".
The game will start.
Save the game and close.
Remove the "-devmode" [LAUNCH OPTIONS].

Now start the game again.
Load the save game and it will run fine.

if you want to stay in "-devmode" , type "r_displayinfo 0" to get rid of info display on the top of the screen everytime you start the game.
This all will make crysis start fast within 3 seconds and you can play the game now.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/17300/discussions/0/1290690926864387648/
https://steamcommunity.com/app/17300/discussions/0/1488866180599063784/
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113193939
http://majorslack.com/pc-game-cheats/crysis-cheats-1/

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
I have been playing crysis for a total of 3 hours now and no issues. I am getting very positive about the game after these solutions.
I can finally see why so many people like it so much. It looks very good indeed.

Reactions: ZGR