Crysis Beta

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

40sTheme

Golden Member
Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Console games already look like shit compared to the latest and soon to be released PC games. Halo 3 only runs at 640 x 1152 without any AA. How many console games only do 30fps?

Wii may be a cute toy, but to even compare a console that does 480x640 to a PC that can do 1200x1900 you'd have to be legally blind.

Switch your hor and vert there, man.

Aznguy1872

Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: 40sTheme
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Console games already look like shit compared to the latest and soon to be released PC games. Halo 3 only runs at 640 x 1152 without any AA. How many console games only do 30fps?

Wii may be a cute toy, but to even compare a console that does 480x640 to a PC that can do 1200x1900 you'd have to be legally blind.

Switch your hor and vert there, man.

I was just about to say that. :)

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: 450R
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd
That is in multiplayer though. That is not in the campaign. Multiplayer introduces it's own slowdown issues.
Something tells me SP won't be any better with all the scripting and AI running.

Every game runs slower with real players. Quake 4 does, UT2k4 does. It's sometimes not a big difference, but you can see it in the numbers. Always has been this way for me.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: bfdd
Considering there is no DX10 in the beta this is fud itself. There is also no AA. I play the game without ANY chopiness on my e6600 oc'd to 3.2ghz and my 8800 GTX oc'd I haven't seen a single hiccup minus the games inherint video rendering problems which MANY people seem to be having, seeing yellow textures with words. I play the game high settings across the board in 1680x1050 runs smooth, but I don't think the graphics live up to the hype/legend created for this game.

Yes truly the issue is not the cards right now but the game code. Hype surrounded this game for all the special effects but you don't see that in MP.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
That is in multiplayer though. That is not in the campaign. Multiplayer introduces it's own slowdown issues. I think people worry too much. However, with 30fps on the settings used it is not that horrible.

There is no DX10 available in the beta at all. You can't judge it yet period. I dislike the beta but I'm not a fan of the gameplay in multiplayer.

Would you accept playing FarCry at 30fps? 30fps is borderline playable, but this is well known for FPS games. While 30fps is better than say "20", and not "horrible", it is Faaaaar from any kind of good.

But, this is a beta. Lets hope the retail game rocks.

FarCry at 30fps was fine (yes I played it at this fps with maxed settings 1024x768 no aa or af at one time).

The days of 200fps in an FPS game are over. They are getting to the point where they want the game to look amazing not just be fast. I remember everyone went crazy trying to get Quake 3 to run faster on their system. I'd take slower fps for better visuals personally.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MetaDFF
I think it's important to note that the system they benchmarked in on was using a Radeon 2900 XT, which:
a) Came late into the market so there is less time and experience optimizing for that card until well into the development into Crysis.
b) Crysis is part of Nvidia's "Way it's meant to be played" program. Thus, should in theory, be better optimized for Nvidia based cards due to the engineering / technical support they get.

Besides it's a Beta game so the performance could be anywhere right now...

Nonsense. There have been TWIMTBP games that have performed better on ATI hardware.
So, that doesn't matter all that much.

Crytek already said they are working exclusively with Nvidia at the driver level. No mention of ATI at all.

AMD or ATI whichever you want to call it, has to do their own driver tweaks without help from the developer. It's unlikely that we will see any real gains for a few releases after the game ships.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: BFG10K
It means 8800GTX/Ultra owners now have nothing to brag about (unless being able to run an fps at a nearly unplayable rate but better than a slide show is something to brag about),
GTX/Ultra owners have a better chance of being able to play the game than other single card owners do.

and we can all collectively just sit on our butts and watch the console owners laugh at us until there's some $750 video card we can drop cash on Q1 2008. At that point, console owners will still laugh at us, since even the PS3 owners got a better deal than us.
Why would console owners laugh at us? Crytek stated they won't be bringing Crysis to their systems because they're underpowered. They also can't upgrade, unlike PC users.

If anyone should be laughing it's PC users.

Better chance of being able to play the game? I can play the game on my system...average 40fps at 1280x1024 2x/16x.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
Originally posted by: Astrallite
It means 8800GTX/Ultra owners now have nothing to brag about (unless being able to run an fps at a nearly unplayable rate but better than a slide show is something to brag about), and we can all collectively just sit on our butts and watch the console owners laugh at us until there's some $750 video card we can drop cash on Q1 2008. At that point, console owners will still laugh at us, since even the PS3 owners got a better deal than us.

LOL. as much as i miss my 8800 i'm glad sold exchanged it for a wii for precisely that reason.
but then again you PC owners get to apply AA and AF to your heart content.

A Wii? LOL... allow me to LOL @ YOU

You sold an 8800 for that?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: tanishalfelven
Originally posted by: BFG10K
It means 8800GTX/Ultra owners now have nothing to brag about (unless being able to run an fps at a nearly unplayable rate but better than a slide show is something to brag about),
GTX/Ultra owners have a better chance of being able to play the game than other single card owners do.

and we can all collectively just sit on our butts and watch the console owners laugh at us until there's some $750 video card we can drop cash on Q1 2008. At that point, console owners will still laugh at us, since even the PS3 owners got a better deal than us.
Why would console owners laugh at us? Crytek stated they won't be bringing Crysis to their systems because they're underpowered. They also can't upgrade, unlike PC users.

If anyone should be laughing it's PC users.

they laugh because we never have to upgrade. thats the point. thats not the -ve, its the +ve.
besides its not like PC gamer will get to pay Ninja gaiden, zelda, metroid, Halo 3 etc etc.

On your Wii you'll never play Ninja Gaiden or Halo 3 either

Aznguy1872

Aug 17, 2005
I'll be downloading the demo soon if its still available and testing it out on my 2900 pro. I'll let you guys know what frames I get with my setup.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
That is in multiplayer though. That is not in the campaign. Multiplayer introduces it's own slowdown issues. I think people worry too much. However, with 30fps on the settings used it is not that horrible.

There is no DX10 available in the beta at all. You can't judge it yet period. I dislike the beta but I'm not a fan of the gameplay in multiplayer.

Would you accept playing FarCry at 30fps? 30fps is borderline playable, but this is well known for FPS games. While 30fps is better than say "20", and not "horrible", it is Faaaaar from any kind of good.

But, this is a beta. Lets hope the retail game rocks.

My old 9700pro played farcry at about 30fps. Was pretty horrible, but such a good game - I carried on and enjoyed it muchly. That said getting an x800xtpe made it a whole new, even better game.

coreyb

Platinum Member
Aug 12, 2007
I'm not too worried about this issue even if it is improved by the release date. How many other good games are there right now that I'm going to be playing a lot more then Crysis? How many awesome games are coming out in the next few months that will most likely be a lot more successful then Crysis?

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Better chance of being able to play the game? I can play the game on my system...average 40fps at 1280x1024 2x/16x.
Great. Do you feel the GTX/Ultra will run it slower?

And tell your experience to the guy I was quoting as he seems to think even an Ultra can't run the game.